Finally: Some BCS Chaos!

bbeerma2

I got to thinking, looking at the schedules and with a good roll of the dice for Stanford and Wisconsin, we could end the season with a slate of undefeateds the world has never seen before.

Boise State - Easy Street

Oklahoma/Oklahoma State - Almost assuredly one will make it through

LSU/Alabama - The SEC Equivilant of OU/OSU

Clemson - A struggling Georgia Tech and South Carolina away from a shutout

Wisconsin - Contain Dennard and manage MSU's defense and they appear to be there

Stanford - Meat of their schedule ahead, but still a punchers chance

Now, speculatively, we can assume that the Big XII and SEC are poised presently to pit their undefeateds. Without loss of generality:

NC: LSU vs. Oklahoma

The Rose helps us narrow down the field:

Wisconsin vs. Stanford

And we get the bowl with first/last picks to snatch up the cinderella Boise, and then end up waiting until the rest are picked before having to take the Big East winner....

Boise State vs. WVU

Now you're left with a possibly undefeated Clemson team that could have a number of possibilities for opponents. I think that given the chance, Alabama-Oklahoma State would be picked by a bowl to set up a series of Big XII - SEC matchups. In this case I'd imagine possibly Oregon. Regardless, it appears that Clemson will have their hands full.

In the end, with this setup, you're almost assured of three undefeateds at the end of the season:

Boise & Winners of two undefeated matchups

Finally the push after the Auburn fiasco to get this mess moving in the right direction?

This is awesome. If Wisco is the one to get left out of the MNC game, Delaney will be the one to blame. HE has been such a vocal proponent of the BCS system through this whole thing. I want as many as possible to stay undefeated. If one of the "big boys" gets left out, maybe we can FINALLY get something done!

• Fire 1

Playoffs won't fix squat. It's just the system certain fans prefer.

And the vast majority of every major and minor sport throughout the world, and throughout history. But aside from that, it's the system with the least flaws. There are no perfect systems. Playoffs just happen to be the least broken of the choices.

Playoffs won't fix squat. It's just the system certain fans prefer.

And the vast majority of every major and minor sport throughout the world, and throughout history. But aside from that, it's the system with the least flaws. There are no perfect systems. Playoffs just happen to be the least broken of the choices.

Bah. It's all perspective. Playoffs have always been broken in my view. Teams win it all despite a slow start. I'm not interested in the best team at the end of the season. I'm interested in the best team the entire season. But that's just me.

LARGE playoffs are a problem. Small playoffs are not. Especially in a sport such as CFB where you do not have a chance to play other subsets of the population. We are a segmented set of groupings and there is no possibility for reconciling this with the short OOC schedule. We are the one instance where playoffs MAKE SENSE. It has a possibility of producing one or two games a season which are meaningless, but it supports the integrity of 99% of regular season games. A small cost for eliminating instances such as our current one.

Even a +1 system would eliminate any discontent save Boise this year probably. As well as that in 2003.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, whaddaya know, we've got 2 weeks of the season left plus championship week (+ Bedlam) and we're already down to 2 major undefeated teams. Not so much chaos, eh?

Of course if Okie St or LSU lose, there will be more handwringing over which 1 loss team gets in and how the others have been screwed. I have a lot less sympathy for a 1 loss team missing out than I would an unbeaten team not having a chance.