Travel & Leisure Magazine - Best College Football Stadiums List

knapplc

According to Travel & Leisure Magazine (online), Memorial Stadium is the seventh-best college football stadium in the land.

1. The Big House - Ann Arbor

2. Notre Dame Stadium - Touchdown Jesus getting some love

3. Ben Hill Griffin Stadium - The Swamp has been a happy place to watch games for about 20 years now.

4. Kyle Field - Much respect for the Aggies. Probably would have put them higher than The Swamp.

5. Franklin Field - home of the Penn Quakers. Oldest stadium in college football, which explains its lofty spot. Did you know that fans toss toast onto the field after the third quarter? Also, this was the site of the first-ever college football scoreboard, and the first-ever radio and television broadcasts of a football game. Impressive.

6. Bronco Stadium - home of the Smurf Turf. In no way, shape or form does this field belong ahead of Memorial Stadium. This is a flavor-of-the-month choice. Yuck.

Their Husker write-up:

Memorial Stadium: Lincoln, NE

The Nebraska Cornhuskers have sold out every home game since 1962, an ever-growing NCAA record of more than 300 consecutive full houses. It’s now roughly 3.2 million people—twice as many as currently live in the Prairie State. Erected in 1922 to honor Nebraska vets who fought in World War I, the Spanish American War, and the Civil War, the stadium is awash in red on game days as fans flood the stadium to cheer on their beloved Huskers and watch replays on one of the largest jumbotrons in college football.

Team Tradition: The dramatic “Tunnel Walk” and charging onto the field across the Big Red Carpet.

Typical Chant: Hus-ker Pow-er!

Biggest Rival: Oklahoma.

Postgame Hangout: The Single Barrel.

Stadium Capacity: Approximately 85,000;

They're a little behind the times with naming Oklahoma as our biggest rival. Also not sure where they're getting the Single Barrel love - the joint has only been open a couple of months. But whatever.

6. Bronco Stadium - home of the Smurf Turf. In no way, shape or form does this field belong ahead of Memorial Stadium. This is a flavor-of-the-month choice. Yuck.

bronco stadium may not deserve to be ahead of memorial, but i would much rather go to boise than lincoln, and i really do like lincoln a lot.

Wow. I can't believe Neyland or Beaver stadium didn't make the list! Also, from what I've heard, Michigan's stadium is just a big bowl, where no sound is contained and where if you sit at the nosebleeds your so horizontally far away from the field that you can't see a thing! Can't believe Ohio Stadium is not above it, let alone the top 5! Also HOW DO YOU NOT PUT THE ROSE BOWL IN THE TOP FIVE?!?!

Also something weird about this list. Did anyone notice, Michigan is ranked both 1st and 10th? Odd...

Single Barrel is a new bar on the corner of 10th & P, where Boomer's Printing used to be. I haven't been there yet, so I can't comment on how good it is. Its claim to fame is that it's the current home of the Sidetrack Band.

In other news, the Sidetrack bar, former home of the Sidetrack band, is pretty much irrelevant in the world of Lincoln bars now.

Single Barrel is a new bar on the corner of 10th & P, where Boomer's Printing used to be. I haven't been there yet, so I can't comment on how good it is. Its claim to fame is that it's the current home of the Sidetrack Band.

In other news, the Sidetrack bar, former home of the Sidetrack band, is pretty much irrelevant in the world of Lincoln bars now.

It's a pretty nice place. When they opened it up it was pretty bare bones but it's improving every week. Once the season is over they're going to start work the restaurant they're going to have in there too.

bronco stadium may not deserve to be ahead of memorial, but i would much rather go to boise than lincoln, and i really do like lincoln a lot.

Serious? What does Boise have? They have one mountain range, and a constant inversion so the air quality is comparable to sticking your head in a septic tank. Not sure what else is there... A few rivers? Boise is awful..

Serious? What does Boise have? They have one mountain range, and a constant inversion so the air quality is comparable to sticking your head in a septic tank. Not sure what else is there... A few rivers? Boise is awful..

platypuses are awful.

platypuses are awful.

Not to be nit picky, but what are they talking about 3.2 million people. The number of people that have attended games since the 1962 sellout streak began? Just guessing, but that should be somewhere near 21 million people, if that is what they are talking about. Just last year in 7 home games averaging over 85,000 fans per game puts us over 595,000 just for 2010. 3.2 million people would be just 6 years worth of sellouts.