Huskers #27

HuskerTD

#27 Jon Damkroger

Position: Punter Height: 6'1" Weight: 185 Year: Senior City/State: Firth, Neb. High School: Norris Other College: Nebraska-Omaha

Honors & Awards

• Two-Time Big 12 Commissioner's Fall Academic Honor Roll (2008, 2009, 2010)
  • Two-Time Big 12 Commissioner's Spring Academic Honor Roll (2009, 2010, 2011)

2011 Outlook

Jon Damkroger enters his senior year hoping to battle Brett Maher for the starting punting job, replacing two-year starter Alex Henery. Damkroger began his college career at Nebraska-Omaha, and has served as a reserve punter the past three seasons. Damkroger is a standout in the classroom, carrying a 3.403 grade-point average in business administration. He is on track to graduate this December

2010 (Junior)

Damkroger was a backup punter, but did not appear in a game.

2009 (Sophomore)

Damkroger was a reserve punter, but did not see game action.

2008 (Redshirt)

Damkroger redshirted after transferring from Nebraska-Omaha.

Before Nebraska (UNO/Norris HS)

Damkroger averaged 35 yards on 40 punts for Coach Pat Behrns and UNO in 2007. Damkroger pinned Maverick opponents inside the 20-yard line 10 times as a freshman. He was the only true freshman to play on a UNO team that won its first 10 games, and advanced to the second round of the Division II playoffs.

Damkroger was a three-sport star at Norris High. He was a three-year letterwinner for Coach Jeff Reed in football, earning first-team all-state honors while serving as a captain. He averaged 43 yards per punt and also played wide receiver and safety. Damkroger also served as team captain and was a two-year starter in basketball and was a four-year letterwinner, team captain and four-event state qualifier in track. Damkroger set school records in the 200-meter dash and the 400-meter relay. In addition to his athletic accomplishments, Damkroger was a four-year member of the student council and the National Honor Society.

Personal

The son of Tom and Deanne Damkroger, Jon was born June 7, 1989. Damkroger has been named to the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll each of his six semesters at Nebraska, and was academic all-conference in his first year of college at Nebraska-Omaha. He has volunteered with NU team hospital visits.

And the "they haven't played anybody" comment could probably apply to us as well. Wisconsin = loss. We start the meat of our schedule this week. 4 out of the 5 will be true tests.

This argument can made for at least 70 other teams

You're right since there are 123ish teams, but at this point it can't be made for many teams in the top 15 or so. Considering how daunting our schedule looked going into the year, it's been cupcake thus far. We've played 1 team currently ranked (and lost). I'd say every team (including Boise) ranked above us has played a more difficult schedule. (Stanford maybe not so much - and since Wisconsin hasn't played themselves probably not them either.)

And the "they haven't played anybody" comment could probably apply to us as well. Wisconsin = loss. We start the meat of our schedule this week. 4 out of the 5 will be true tests.

You're right since there are 123ish teams, but at this point it can't be made for many teams in the top 15 or so. Considering how daunting our schedule looked going into the year, it's been cupcake thus far. We've played 1 team currently ranked (and lost). I'd say every team (including Boise) ranked above us has played a more difficult schedule. (Stanford maybe not so much - and since Wisconsin hasn't played themselves probably not them either.)

Please explain how you came to this conclusion? I would like to know.

Please explain how you came to this conclusion? I would like to know.

Sagarin has a really good formula - you could ask him why we have the 60th ranked SOS. I think it has something to do w/ having only played 1 team in the top 30. I think he has Arkansas with a really easy schedule as well...but at quick glance most of the top 15 teams have schedules that fall somewhere in the 5-35 range. (excluding stanford/wisconsin which I mentioned above before looking - figured arkansas would be higher after playing alabama/auburn/a&m)