Tribune: WVU move could prompt Irish to think B1G

Nexus

I'm skeptical that ND ever moves to B1G when it's all said and done. Especially if Big 12 is willing to give them partial membership for non-football sports. However, I was surprised to learn the following:

Some roll their eyes at the thought that Rutgers would give the Big Ten the New York market, but numbers support it.

A detailed New York Times study of the 210 television markets found that New York has about 3 million college football fans, and 20.9 percent of those chose Rutgers as their favorite team. That’s almost equal to those naming Notre Dame (9.2 percent), Penn State (6.4) and UConn (5.2) combined.

And on Friday night, the Rutgers-Louisville game on ESPN2 drew twice the number of New York City viewers as Syracuse’s upset of West Virginia, which ESPN televised. Rutgers has been part of four of the five highest-rated games in New York City on both ESPN and ESPN2.

Continue Reading

I figured ND fandom would be bigger in the state of NY? Rutgers would be a solid addition to B1G from a BTN revenue perspective since it'd essentially be adding the largest TV market in the nation. Yet I hope B1G stays at 12 unless ND wants in. If that scenario ever presents itself, then adding Rutgers as 14th member would make sense.

I'm skeptical that ND ever moves to B1G when it's all said and done. Especially if Big 12 is willing to give them partial membership for non-football sports. However, I was surprised to learn the following:

Some roll their eyes at the thought that Rutgers would give the Big Ten the New York market, but numbers support it.

A detailed New York Times study of the 210 television markets found that New York has about 3 million college football fans, and 20.9 percent of those chose Rutgers as their favorite team. That’s almost equal to those naming Notre Dame (9.2 percent), Penn State (6.4) and UConn (5.2) combined.

And on Friday night, the Rutgers-Louisville game on ESPN2 drew twice the number of New York City viewers as Syracuse’s upset of West Virginia, which ESPN televised. Rutgers has been part of four of the five highest-rated games in New York City on both ESPN and ESPN2.

Continue Reading

I figured ND fandom would be bigger in the state of NY? Rutgers would be a solid addition to B1G from a BTN revenue perspective since it'd essentially be adding the largest TV market in the nation. Yet I hope B1G stays at 12 unless ND wants in. If that scenario ever presents itself, then adding Rutgers as 14th member would make sense.

The very reason Nebraska was picked over Rutgers was because the reported draw of Rutgers on NYC was found to be wanting and exaggerated when all was said and done and that ND was ultimately more of a draw. IIRC, this was what Frank the Tank found some time ago, and except for A&M, he's been spot-on.

Plus, I would not be shocked to read that ESPN inflated NYC numbers a bit--remember, higher ratings means more money for ad space. It's not like ESPN has any integrity or anything closely resembling that anymore...

Also, don't forget the whole hockey angle that folks have brought up here--Notre Dame, IIRC, *still* has yet to declare where they're going for a hockey conference. The B1G could be leveraging its new hockey conference, among other assets, to get ND in the B1G.

Hell yes to ND, they've always been the candidate of choice (no offense NU but you must know the history). That said if it includes a Rutgers add I say no way in Hell. Rutgers doesn't bring NYC viewers, not even close and it by no means fits the culture of the conference. PSU was about as far east as I'm comfortable with and I'm still not real happy about it.

I'm quite sure Nebraska was picked over Rutgers because they don't suck at Football :)

Rutgers would be interesting because it is THE Public University in the state with the most millionaires. They do have potential. Just need some wealthy alumni to start funding.

And the Bucks could play at the Meadowlands.

Hell yes to ND, they've always been the candidate of choice (no offense NU but you must know the history).

Yes, Badgerfan, we know the Notre Dame history all too well:

-Nebraska was the only school to beat the Four Horsemen twice.

-Notre Dame claimed anti-Catholic sentiment as the reason for pulling out of their annual game with Nebraska after we won more matches than they cared for.

-Nebraska invaded their stadium so bad in 2000 that it looked like for a home game for Nebraska. These pictures are still used to put any prissy ND fan in their place when they try to get on a soapbox regarding fan support.

Oh wait, you're talking about the *Big 10* history with Notre Dame, aren't you? My bad... :)

• Fire 3

I'm quite sure Nebraska was picked over Rutgers because they don't suck at Football :)

Rutgers would be interesting because it is THE Public University in the state with the most millionaires. They do have potential. Just need some wealthy alumni to start funding.

And the Bucks could play at the Meadowlands.

I've heard this too, but if these millionaires were going to shell out for the football program, they would have done so when Greg Shiano had that high level of success for a two/three year period some time ago.

---

On a related note, Andy Staples/SI.com had an interesting point that I've failed to consider re: ND on last night's "Big Ten and Beyond" show (really--if you're not watching it, shame on you. Excellent show.)

Andy mentioned how the other Catholic schools in the Big East are counting on ND to stick with them, and that it's been a point of pride for ND to say they've had their backs--almost as big a point of pride as their independence. It may take an act of God to get Notre Dame to leave their Catholic brethren behind in the Big East, and the Big East *does* have a ways to go before they lose enough teams to where they can't play Olympic sports.

Hell yes to ND, they've always been the candidate of choice (no offense NU but you must know the history).

-Notre Dame claimed anti-Catholic sentiment as the reason for pulling out of their annual game with Nebraska after we won more matches than they cared for.

-Nebraska invaded their stadium so bad in 2000 that it looked like for a home game for Nebraska. These pictures are still used to put any prissy ND fan in their place when they try to get on a soapbox regarding fan support.

Oh wait, you're talking about the *Big 10* history with Notre Dame, aren't you? My bad... :)

+1

• Fire 1

Thats cool but I was referring to the decades long courtship of ND by the Big Ten. Nebraska's history with ND has little bearing on the issue for the conference as a whole.

Thats cool but I was referring to the decades long courtship of ND by the Big Ten. Nebraska's history with ND has little bearing on the issue for the conference as a whole.

dont think you got his joke there big guy...

dont think you got his joke there big guy...

No, obviously I didn't. Must be a husker fan thing because I didn't find a hint of funny in that. oh well...