How about Nebraska v. Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl

f#*k that, Rose Bowl is Pac-10 v. Big Ten. I don't care if there are loopholes or what happened in the past, don't ruin it this year like they did last year. The Big XII has their bowls, they should stay there.

If we win the Big Ten championship we get to pick who we play in the Rose Bowl. Capish? :LOLtartar

Nah, if you want to play OU schedule them as a part of your OCS. Traditions are just as important to the Big Ten as they are to Nebraska, don't be the new guy trying to change ours...

f#*k that, Rose Bowl is Pac-10 v. Big Ten. I don't care if there are loopholes or what happened in the past, don't ruin it this year like they did last year. The Big XII has their bowls, they should stay there.

If we win the Big Ten championship we get to pick who we play in the Rose Bowl. Capish? :LOLtartar

Nah, if you want to play OU schedule them as a part of your OCS. Traditions are just as important to the Big Ten as they are to Nebraska, don't be the new guy trying to change ours...

You sound like Iowa fans when the news came out that we would play them on Black Friday. :D (Don't hurt me for comparing you to Idiots Out Wandering Around fans)

You sound like Iowa fans when the news came out that we would play them on Black Friday. :D (Don't hurt me for comparing you to Idiots Out Wandering Around fans)

Haha what...I'm confused. What's the story on this?

But really, how would Nebraska fans feel if Delany said you guys had to change your uniforms to not look like UW's and had to go by NEBY to avoid confusion with Northwestern? It'd be pretty lame right?

Haha what...I'm confused. What's the story on this?

But really, how would Nebraska fans feel if Delany said you guys had to change your uniforms to not look like UW's and had to go by NEBY to avoid confusion with Northwestern? It'd be pretty lame right?

Back when the news came out that the NU-Iowa game was going to be on Black Friday instead of the Saturday, someone on here posted a link to an Iowa message board and about 40% of them were saying stuff like "Big Ten football is supposed to be played on Saturday, not Friday. We don't care if it was a Nebraska tradition..." and "Nebraska isn't even a member of the conference yet (we weren't yet at the time this came out) and they are already changing the traditions of the conference and the conference traditions are greater than Nebraska's traditions..." basically they were saying that we were trying to change the traditions of the Big Ten by changing one. What you said earlier sorta reminded me of that and thought it was funny.

Team Selection Procedures

The bowls will select their participants from two pools: (1) automatic qualifiers, all of which must be selected, and, (2) at-large teams, if fewer than 10 teams qualify automatically. The following sequence will be used when establishing pairings:

1. The top two teams in the final BCS Standings will be placed in the National Championship Game ("NCG").

2. Unless they qualify to play in the NCG, the champions of selected conferences are contractually committed to host selected games:

• Atlantic Coast Conference-Orange Bowl
  • Big Ten Conference-Rose Bowl
  • Big 12 Conference-Fiesta Bowl
  • Pac-10 Conference-Rose Bowl
  • Southeastern Conference-Sugar Bowl

3. If a bowl loses a host team to the NCG, then such bowl shall select a replacement team from among the automatic-qualifying teams and the at-large teams before any other selections are made. If two bowls lose host teams to the NCG, each bowl will get a replacement pick before any other selections are made. In such case, the bowl losing the No. 1 team gets the first replacement pick, and the bowl losing the No. 2 team gets the second replacement pick. If the Rose Bowl loses both the Big Ten and Pac-10 champions to the NCG, it will receive two replacement picks.

***(For the games of January 2011 through 2014, the first year the Rose Bowl loses a team to the NCG and a team from the non-AQ group is an automatic qualifier, that non-AQ team will play in the Rose Bowl.)***

A bowl choosing a replacement team may not select any of the following:

• A. A team in the NCG;
  • B. The host team for another BCS Bowl;
  • C. When two bowls lose host teams, then the bowl losing the number one team may not select a replacement team from the same conference as the number two team, unless the bowl losing the number two team consents.

4. After steps No. 1, 2 and 3 have been completed, any bowl with an unfilled slot shall select a team from the automatic qualifiers and/or at-large teams in the following order for the games played in 2007 through 2010:

• A. The bowl played on the date nearest to the National Championship Game will pick first;
  • B. The bowl played on the date second-nearest to the National Championship Game will pick second;
  • C. The bowl hosting the game that is played in the time slot immediately after the Rose Bowl game will pick third.

The selection order noted in paragraphs A, B and C is as follows:

January 2011 games: Sugar, Orange, Fiesta

January 2012 games: Fiesta, Sugar, Orange

January 2013 games: Fiesta, Sugar, Orange

January 2014 games: Orange, Sugar, Fiesta

All teams earning automatic berths must be selected.

5. After completion of the selection process as described in Paragraph Nos. 1-4, the conferences and Notre Dame may, but are not required to, adjust the pairings taking into consideration the following:

• A. whether the same team will be playing in the same bowl game for two consecutive years;
  • B. whether two teams that played against one another in the regular season will be paired against one another in a bowl game;
  • C. whether the same two teams will play against each other in a bowl game for two consecutive years; and
  • D. whether alternative pairings may have greater or lesser appeal to college football fans as measured by expected ticket sales for the bowls and by expected television interest, and the consequent financial impact on Fox and the bowls.

The pairings may not be altered by removing the Big Ten Champion or Pac-10 champion from the Rose Bowl.

------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------

tl;dr

Rose Bowl doesn't have to pick a non-AQ qualifier this year if Stanford goes to the NCG since TCU went last year, however it's unclear in what order the Rose Bowl picks if they lose an AQ to the NCG. One would assume under the section 5 provisions (i.e. not ruining games) that if the conference losing their AQ had an at large qualifier, that they would go.

Couldn't be bothered reading all that, but remember that Texas and Michigan played in the 2005 Rose Bowl (no, it was not the 2004 rose bowl, it was played in 2005 for the 2004 season).

On a side note, remember how USC/Texas National Championship game was in the Rose Bowl? How did that work? Did the NC game used to rotate BCS bowls and there were two less BCS bids, and then they made it an independent game?

Couldn't be bothered reading all that, but remember that Texas and Michigan played in the 2005 Rose Bowl (no, it was not the 2004 rose bowl, it was played in 2005 for the 2004 season).

On a side note, remember how USC/Texas National Championship game was in the Rose Bowl? How did that work? Did the NC game used to rotate BCS bowls and there were two less BCS bids, and then they made it an independent game?

From wiki:

"The USC Trojans and the Oklahoma Sooners were invited to play in the BCS Championship game in the 2005 Orange Bowl. This gave the Rose Bowl an at-large pick, as they gave up their traditional Pacific-10 Conference champion representative. The 2005 Fiesta Bowlalso got an at-large pick, having given up Oklahoma to the Orange Bowl. Because the non-BCS Utah Utes team had finished ranked in the top eight, either the Fiesta Bowl or Rose Bowl had to select them. That left one other slot open for the highest BCS ranked team. The Rose Bowl had first choice of this team over Utah, having given up the higher ranked team.

There was a BCS controversy in the remaining at-large team that was selected to play in the BCS bowl games. The California Golden Bears expected to get the invite, having only lost one game to the #1 and undefeated Trojans. Meanwhile, the Texas Longhorns had lost only one game as well - to the #2 and undefeated Oklahoma Sooners. In the 2004 NCAA Division I-A football rankings on November 27, Cal was in the #4 BCS position and Texas was #5. Texas remained idle the next Saturday, but Cal had defeated the Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles in a makeup game from Hurricane Ivan on December 4. Going into the game, the Golden Bears were made aware that while margin of victory did not affect computer rankings, it did affect human polls and just eight voters changing their vote could affect the final standings.[5] In a dramatic twist, Texas, who had been left out of the BCS the year before because of the Oklahoma loss in the Big 12 championship, got enough voters to change their mind in the final vote and more computer points to slide into the BCS #4 slot. When the December 4 rankings came out, Texas was in the #4 BCS position and Cal was in the #5 position. Texas edged California out of the #4 spot by a mere .0102 points.[6] The final poll positions had been unchanged with Cal at #4 AP, #4 coaches, and #6 computers polls and Texas at #6 AP, #5 coaches, and #4 computer polls.[6]"

I'm sure the Big Ten purists would want to keep it Big 10 vs. Pac 12... But every Nebraska fan would rather play Oklahoma than anybody in the Pac 12. Nebraska vs. Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl would be pure awesomeness.

Blackshirts vs. Jones, round 3. Stoops vs. Pelini. Scarlet vs. Crimson.

To any Nebraska fan, Nebraska vs. Oklahoma is WAAAY bigger than Big Ten vs. Pac 12. I mean, everyone loves the Big Ten so far, but the one thing we all miss, and will always miss, from the Big 12/8: Oklahoma.

• Fire 1

To any Nebraska fan, Nebraska vs. Oklahoma is WAAAY bigger than Big Ten vs. Pac 12. I mean, everyone loves the Big Ten so far, but the one thing we all miss, and will always miss, from the Big 12/8: Oklahoma.

I would hope Big 10 fans would realize this too. Nebraska vs Oklahoma is not only a Nebraska tradition...its a College Football Tradition. Now that this games is going to be played VERY RARELY, you take advantage of it whenever you can. Who cares if it disrupts the Rose Bowl and the B1G vs Pac 12 tradition. Nebraska vs Oklahoma is bigger and more important than that. The Rose Bowl could hypothetically play B1G vs Pac 12 every year for the next 100+ years. Nebraska vs Oklahoma might happen 2-3 times the next 100 years. You play NU vs OU in the Rose Bowl.

• Fire 1

I would hope Big 10 fans would realize this too. Nebraska vs Oklahoma is not only a Nebraska tradition...its a College Football Tradition. Now that this games is going to be played VERY RARELY, you take advantage of it whenever you can. Who cares if it disrupts the Rose Bowl and the B1G vs Pac 12 tradition. Nebraska vs Oklahoma is bigger and more important than that. The Rose Bowl could hypothetically play B1G vs Pac 12 every year for the next 100+ years. Nebraska vs Oklahoma might happen 2-3 times the next 100 years. You play NU vs OU in the Rose Bowl.

For most people Nebraska-Oklahoma doesn't even register as a rivalry. http://espn.go.com/s...Id=1&listId=311 just one example. Sorry, add it to your OCS. Don't change our tradition.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/26676228

Then put them together in the CarQuest Bowl. The Rose Bowl is between the Pac 12 and Big 10. Period.

And keep this in mind. Oklahoma DUMPED us as a rival when the Big 12 got together. They kept their rivalry with Texas.

Dude... No one is saying it's GOING to happen. Nor are they saying Nebraska is trying to change the Big 10 traditions to align more with our own. They are just stating that, because we have SO much history with Oklahoma, and there has been some "off" match-ups in the Rose Bowl in recent years, it would be really cool (from the Husker fan perspective), if a Husker-Sooner Rose Bowl match up was to happen.

:bigredn:

Dude... No one is saying it's GOING to happen. Nor are they saying Nebraska is trying to change the Big 10 traditions to align more with our own. They are just stating that, because we have SO much history with Oklahoma, and there has been some "off" match-ups in the Rose Bowl in recent years, it would be really cool (from the Husker fan perspective), if a Husker-Sooner Rose Bowl match up was to happen.

:bigredn:

Really?

I would hope Big 10 fans would realize this too. Nebraska vs Oklahoma is not only a Nebraska tradition...its a College Football Tradition. Now that this games is going to be played VERY RARELY, you take advantage of it whenever you can. Who cares if it disrupts the Rose Bowl and the B1G vs Pac 12 tradition. Nebraska vs Oklahoma is bigger and more important than that. The Rose Bowl could hypothetically play B1G vs Pac 12 every year for the next 100+ years. Nebraska vs Oklahoma <em>might</em> happen 2-3 times the next 100 years. You play NU vs OU in the Rose Bowl.

For most people Nebraska-Oklahoma doesn't even register as a rivalry.

Sorry, add it to your OCS. Don't change our tradition.

Nebraska - Oklahoma was one of the greatest rivalries in college football before the Big 12 ruined it, regardless of what anybody says. On par with Michigan - Ohio State. It was even more relevant than Michigan - Ohio State the majority of the time, since it not only decided the Big 8 champion nearly every year, but in many years it also decided who would play for the national championship. I also don't understand how a Big Ten fan who has applauded the addition of Nebraska to the league because of Nebraska's history and tradition only to belittle the most significant aspect of our history (our rivalry with Oklahoma).

Besides, you're acting like we have the power to "change your tradition." We don't. We don't get to decide who we play in bowl games - the conferences and the bowl committees decide that. If the Rose Bowl decides to change tradition and pit Nebraska and Oklahoma, then I'd personally be all for that, but don't blame me if it happens. I'd be fine with playing a Pac 12 team too, I'd just rather play Oklahoma.

Like I said, I'm extremely happy to be in the Big Ten - but part of my heart will always belong to the good old Big 8. Before the season, Big Ten fans came on this board and said that the conference championship and the Rose Bowl was more important to them than the National Championship. I'm never going to feel that way. Now I'm being told that the Big Ten - Pac 12 Rose Bowl agreement is more important than Nebraska - Oklahoma. Maybe to you, but not to me - and it never will be. If there's a chance we could play OU in Pasadena instead of a Pac 12 team, then hell yes let's throw out one tradition in favor of another, if only for one year.

In the land of the pickup truck and cream gravy for breakfast, down where the wind can blow through the walls of a diner and into the grieving lyrics of a country song on a jukebox—down there in dirt-kicking Big Eight territory—they played a football game on Thanksgiving Day that was mainly for the quarterbacks on the field and for self-styled gridiron intellectuals everywhere. The spectacle itself was for everybody, of course, for all of those who had been waiting weeks for Nebraska to meet Oklahoma, or for all the guys with their big stomachs and bigger Stetsons, and for all the luscious coeds who danced through the afternoons drinking daiquiris out of paper cups. But the game of chess that was played with bodies, that was strictly for the cerebral types who will keep playing it into the ages and wondering whether it was the greatest collegiate football battle ever. Under the agonizing conditions that existed, it well may have been...

--- Dan Jenkins, Sports Illustrated; December 6th, 1971.