Concerns about the offense

Hey AH, you're a sharp dude I fully respect but maybe you should read your own posts? What does the following mean?

Run the ball.....stop the run......win the game.

You nailed it. He has a bizarre affinity for the "It's never good enough!" syndrome.

We beat a top 10 team with a top 5 offense. Not good enough.

facepalm.jpeg

Look at the OP and see the reference to my sig.

When we show that we can stop a mobile QB I'll stop having gas pains about our passing game. Until then I believe 100% that we're going to have a hard time beating good teams that scheme to stop the run. We'll need to pass better. Look no further than the tu game last year - and granted that was a different time with a different OC and there were dropped balls -- we still saw what happens when a good defense takes away the run.

Again, as I said in the OP - we might not see that great defense again this year and thus - our run heavy offense just might work to the very end but......... not so sure about that in the B1GC (esp. if it's OSU) or the BCS. Remember - OSU seems to have found it's groove - HUGE difference from when we played them - which means their defense will shine even more bec. they'll be able to do a lot more and not have to worry about their offense...... Then there's the MI game - IDK -- if MI starts scoring with shoelace breaking big plays - then what? Keep running and running? How many times have we been stopped on 3rd and <5?

Hey AH, you're a sharp dude I fully respect but maybe you should read your own posts? What does the following mean?

You nailed it. He has a bizarre affinity for the "It's never good enough!" syndrome.

facepalm.jpeg

When we show that we can stop a mobile QB I'll stop having gas pains about our passing game. Until then I believe 100% that we're going to have a hard time beating good teams that scheme to stop the run. We'll need to pass better. Look no further than the tu game last year - and granted that was a different time with a different OC and there were dropped balls -- we still saw what happens when a good defense takes away the run.

Again, as I said in the OP - we might not see that great defense again this year and thus - our run heavy offense just might work to the very end but......... not so sure about that in the B1GC (esp. if it's OSU) or the BCS. Remember - OSU seems to have found it's groove - HUGE difference from when we played them - which means their defense will shine even more bec. they'll be able to do a lot more and not have to worry about their offense...... Then there's the MI game - IDK -- if MI starts scoring with shoelace breaking big plays - then what? Keep running and running? How many times have we been stopped on 3rd and <5?

What does stopping a mobile QB on defense have to do w/ our need to pass more?

And yes, if MI gets a few big plays - we keep running and running. We grind 6 minutes off the clock before we score. Then if he breaks another, we grind another 6 minutes off the clock. We control the clock, we control the game, and by the time the 3rd/4th quarters roll around their defense will be gassed and we score at will. At the same time our defense is still fresh and stopping the big plays every once in a while - which at that point is all they'll need to do.

If MI is depending on those big plays fine, they won't get them every time. But if we can consistently grind out a score nearly every drive...then what does it matter? We still get the ball about the same number of times as they do.

Our defense really came alive last week. I can't wait until we play Northwestern. They have a good offense with an elusive QB. It will give us an indication of how good our defense really is. Did the light come on for good last week? We will see.

Beck is starting to really prove his worth. Play to our strengths by running the ball. Mix some passes in to keep the defense on their toes. It has been a shock to me how we are wearing down the defenses this year in the fourth quarter. Haven't seen that happen since the late 90's. Makes me a happy camper. I agree we stay with this formula. Passing will still be part of the game plan just to a lesser degree.

He's still a running threat. I don't know where people are getting the idea that he's not.

Sure, he makes yards, but his explosive 20+ yard runs have been dwindling (His last 20+ yard run by the stats I see on Huskers.com looks to have been a 28 yarder against Wash). Why have they dwindled? Defensive schemes? Play-calling?

Frankly, I think Beck has shifted the offense to lean far less on T-Mart needing to make 20+ yard runs to be successful. I think that is good. I think it protects/rests NU's D.

T-Mart is still a running threat sure, but the nature of his threat has changed.

What makes T-Mart intriguing, like D Rob at Mich, is that feeling he can take it to the house from 50 yards. But game play is showing that he is far less of a threat to do that lately.

Here's hoping he goes 65 yards tomorrow.

facepalm.jpeg

What does stopping a mobile QB on defense have to do w/ our need to pass more?

And yes, if MI gets a few big plays - we keep running and running. We grind 6 minutes off the clock before we score. Then if he breaks another, we grind another 6 minutes off the clock. We control the clock, we control the game, and by the time the 3rd/4th quarters roll around their defense will be gassed and we score at will. At the same time our defense is still fresh and stopping the big plays every once in a while - which at that point is all they'll need to do.

If MI is depending on those big plays fine, they won't get them every time. But if we can consistently grind out a score nearly every drive...then what does it matter? We still get the ball about the same number of times as they do.

I hope that formula works.

If we're in a shoot out with MI, based on what you just said I can see how running 80% of the time working but don't underestimate MI's d. It's not a pushover like last yr.

Against OSU, we showed no signs whatsoever of stopping them (read: mobile QB) ..... and had Miller not gotten hurt I'm not sure if we stick with the run game as much as you seem to indicate.

We'll see.

If we can run the ball on Ohio State & Michigan State we sure as hell should be able to vs Michigan. Michigan's defense is still an open question with their cream-puff schedule so far. Heck, even Notre Dame racked up 31 pts on them & Michigan State 28 pts. Holding NW to 24 pts is easily their best result but they still gave up over 400 yds (over 300 passing & over 100 rushing). Maybe NW had a lot of turnovers in that game?

Some are impressed with their defense stopping Purdue, Minnesota, San Diego St, Western Michigan & Eastern Michigan. Maybe so but that doesn't look like a murderer's row to me.

We'll see......but I like our chances on that side of the ball.

GBR!!

what has me a little concerned, if that's the right word, is that we have guys like Bell, Enunwa, Turner, and Reed that haven't been touching the ball as much lately because we have been run oriented moreso.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE pounding the ball, but those guys each need 3-6 touches a game: screens, reverses, fade routes, hitches, etc..are an easy and safe way for TM to get em the rock. I love the misdirection we've been using the last few weeks, I think Beck is doing a great job. But let's keep it FAST and get the speedsters the ball on the EDGE so that Rex and CO. can be free up the gut.

what has me a little concerned, if that's the right word, is that we have guys like Bell, Enunwa, Turner, and Reed that haven't been touching the ball as much lately because we have been run oriented moreso.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE pounding the ball, but those guys each need 3-6 touches a game: screens, reverses, fade routes, hitches, etc..are an easy and safe way for TM to get em the rock. I love the misdirection we've been using the last few weeks, I think Beck is doing a great job. But let's keep it FAST and get the speedsters the ball on the EDGE so that Rex and CO. can be free up the gut.

Yeah, it's a tough problem. Just one ball with exciting play-makers coming out of our ears. Bell, Turner, Reed, Tmart, Super Rex, Heard, etc, etc.

Lol.....well, it's nice "problem" to have.

GBR!!

We can't make a living having TMart on the edge pitching the ball and being so lose with it...... or making the wrong read on a ZR option.

I think fans makes a HUGE mistake here. The plays you refer too are not "miss reads". They are much more likely call plays. In the option game you must keep defenses honest and use certain plays/looks to set up future plays. You have to feel out the defense, give them looks and get them thinking too much. As far as loose play pitching the ball, the option has been and always will be harrowing on the corner. It works best with the late pitch after someone on defense has committed to the QB. The safe part of running it to the short side is a bad pitch will likely harmlessly go out of bounds. Instead off jumping on Taylor every time a play looks suspicious, try asking yourself..."what are they setting up?" I have a feeling down the stretch as teams commit to stop Rex we again will see the speed of Taylor's feet shine. Last year I think Mizzu was 100% committed to stopping Taylor and Roy had a record setting day. Just my thoughts.

• Fire 1

He's still a running threat. I don't know where people are getting the idea that he's not.

Sure, he makes yards, but his explosive 20+ yard runs have been dwindling (His last 20+ yard run by the stats I see on Huskers.com looks to have been a 28 yarder against Wash). Why have they dwindled? Defensive schemes? Play-calling?

Frankly, I think Beck has shifted the offense to lean far less on T-Mart needing to make 20+ yard runs to be successful. I think that is good. I think it protects/rests NU's D.

T-Mart is still a running threat sure, but the nature of his threat has changed.

What makes T-Mart intriguing, like D Rob at Mich, is that feeling he can take it to the house from 50 yards. But game play is showing that he is far less of a threat to do that lately.

Bo and Beck both said that Taylor was always trying to make the big play instead of taking what was there and playing another down. That is where he was making mistakes. They have been trying to minimize j those mistakes. It's part of the gamelan

I'm much happier with Martinez's running this year than last year. He is playing MUCH smarter this year. Still some head scratching moments but he is no longer feast or famine.

I also think a big part of the reason we're not seeing TM with as many long runs is we are not running the zone read near as much. The ZR sets him up for his best skill set, blistering acceleration to the edge. He hits that corner so fast that many times he's deep into their second level before the defense has even found the ball. On our down the line option, when he keeps, it involves more of a decisive cut which (in my opinion) he isn't as good at as hitting corner from a couple yards deep in the backfield.

I would like to see more of the short, quick throws just to get our playmakers the ball out in space, then let them do what they do best. But I really don't have any complaints about the way Beck is calling the games for us right now. My two main concerns now are keeping Rex healthy, and if what our D showed last week is a preveiw of the rest of the season.

I've got no issue with Taylor not making the "big play" as he did so many times last year. Sure, against lesser teams last year (KSU) he shined making big play after big play. The problem with that against a better team is that you're putting the defense back onto the field right after they just got done being on it. And against better teams you're not going to get big plays as much so then you're back to 3 and out which, oh there goes the defense out on the field again. It's not only physically draining on the defense, its MENTALLY draining as well. The sustained drives this year have been a much more welcome sight. THAT is the formula to beating a good team. Pound, pound, pound and pound again until late in the game YOU can control what happends. Seems like it worked pretty well for quite a few years before, I don't know why it still wouldn't.

I've got a different angle I'm looking at here. I know that alot of these Big 10 defenses are ranked high, but these are rankings based on stats. How many Big 10 offenses have you been impressed by this year? I think the only 3 offenses in the Big 10 that are worth a crap are Nebraska, Michigan and Wisconsin. OSU has surged as of late, but its only that, as of late. Point is, if the offenses you're playing against aren't good, then your stats will reflect accordingly. I think that some of these Big 10 defenses are good, but they're not as good as the stats/rankings indicate. JMO.

578pissedpandap1.gif