Welcome to the B1G indeed

Meh, its hard to say if we're 'overated'. What conferences are consistently better than us? Sure the SEC is on top but the Big XII is down to two National Powers, the Big Ten now has four and the SEC has what? like 5 to 6 depending on who you count. The ACC has 1 maybe two as does the Pac 10. I'm pretty happy with where the conference is now and where we're headed.

We really don't have the first clue about how the conference stacks up because you have Wisconsin playing absolutely NO ONE non conference. Ohio St barely survived it's all-Ohio non conference tour. Penn St. got beat handily by Alabama. Sparty got smacked by Notre Dame.

I can't think of a single point of reference that points to this conference being the 2nd best in the nation.

I wasn't arguing that, I'm simply saying if not us than who? and I'm talking Big Picture here, I know the Big XII is stacked for a quick second but that will pass.

Pac 12 has two legitimate top 10 teams. I would assert that Oklahoma would be the best team in the Big 10 by a substantial margin this year. And, like you said, the SEC is the SEC.

I think you could make an argument that the B1G is no better than the 4th best conference in the FBS.

All this being said, I'm not slitting my wrists after today's game. I just realized two things:

a) in spite of the glaring weaknesses on this team, we still have a good shot at making the CCG

b) that being said, who regards the title 'Big 10 Champion' very highly given the performance of the conference as a whole up to now?

I halfway conceded that the Big XII might be better than the Big Ten this year though top to bottom we are far better. Better than the Pac 12 as well. We have much better depth.

So, we've heard it for a while. Welcome to the B1G! You're about to see what Big 10 football is all about, Husker fans.

And so on...

What I thought about the Big 10 before this year was that it was the most over-hyped, over rated, slow, boring type of football that was readily available on television. Every year they'd get 4 or 5 teams ranked. They'd each look incredibly unimpressive in non conference play, but then, fortunately for them, they got to play similarly over ranked, over hyped teams ...... each other. They would then beat each other up for the next 8 weeks, while ESPN would talk about what a gauntlet the conference schedule is and how the teams are so elite and evenly matched. Then.....bowl season. And after each bowl game loss by a Big 10 team, the analysts would ask each other 'did we maybe over rank some of these teams?'. LOL

So now, as I watch the B1G pull it's usual gambit of playing unimpressive, uninspiring football, where all the teams seem to be able to beat each other and no team resembles anything special, I find myself quite depressed realizing that my Cornhuskers are part of this fiasco.

We lost to an apparently very mortal Wisconsin team. Snuck by a very ordinary Ohio St squad. Beat a classically over rated Michigan St. team, who was earlier destroyed by the poster child of hype, the Fighting Irish. And just now lost in a very head scratching affair on their home field against a team with 5 losses.

We were over rated. We are mediocre.

Welcome to the B1G, indeed.

I still don't know what your complaint is. That both the league and Nebraska are overrated and mediocre? OK. So then I guess it's a lucky thing that Nebraska made the jump to the Big 10 when they did. If they were still in the Big 12 this year they'd prolly be getting thumped every week and have no shot at a bowl. 4-7 here we come. Maybe what Nebraska should have done was join the Ivy League. Then it could return to the glory days of weekly 57-10 routes of prostate opponents and guaranteed 11-1 records. That was much more interesting, wasn't it?

I'm kidding, But just kinda.

So, we've heard it for a while. Welcome to the B1G! You're about to see what Big 10 football is all about, Husker fans.

And so on...

What I thought about the Big 10 before this year was that it was the most over-hyped, over rated, slow, boring type of football that was readily available on television. Every year they'd get 4 or 5 teams ranked. They'd each look incredibly unimpressive in non conference play, but then, fortunately for them, they got to play similarly over ranked, over hyped teams ...... each other. They would then beat each other up for the next 8 weeks, while ESPN would talk about what a gauntlet the conference schedule is and how the teams are so elite and evenly matched. Then.....bowl season. And after each bowl game loss by a Big 10 team, the analysts would ask each other 'did we maybe over rank some of these teams?'. LOL

So now, as I watch the B1G pull it's usual gambit of playing unimpressive, uninspiring football, where all the teams seem to be able to beat each other and no team resembles anything special, I find myself quite depressed realizing that my Cornhuskers are part of this fiasco.

We lost to an apparently very mortal Wisconsin team. Snuck by a very ordinary Ohio St squad. Beat a classically over rated Michigan St. team, who was earlier destroyed by the poster child of hype, the Fighting Irish. And just now lost in a very head scratching affair on their home field against a team with 5 losses.

We were over rated. We are mediocre.

Welcome to the B1G, indeed.

I still don't know what your complaint is. That both the league and Nebraska are overrated and mediocre? OK So I guess it's a lucky thing then that Nebraska made the jump to the Big 10. If they were still in the Big 12 they'd prolly be getting thumped every week and have no shot at a bowl. Is that it?

Maybe what Nebraska shuld have done was join the Ivy League. Then it could can return to the glory days of weekly 57-10 routes of prostate opponents and guaranteed 11-1 records. That was much more interesting, wasn't it?

Not sure I was complaining. I guess I always despised the Big 10 for all the aforementioned reasons. I think I was hoping, like many of you were, that the addition of NU, along with what was being sold as a legit contender in UW, that things were different. My point is that the conference is the same, and Nebraska has fallen right in line.

We belong in this conference. Right now, we're a second tier program. We should be ranked between 15 and 25 most every year, every now and again getting a special QB that gives us a shot at the MNC. That's the reality I see. It's not a bad place to be.

My only point in starting the thread was that the Big Ten is still the Big Ten, and we're balls deep in it.

Not sure I was complaining. I guess I always despised the Big 10 for all the aforementioned reasons. I think I was hoping, like many of you were, that the addition of NU, along with what was being sold as a legit contender in UW, that things were different. My point is that the conference is the same, and Nebraska has fallen right in line.

We belong in this conference. Right now, we're a second tier program. We should be ranked between 15 and 25 most every year, every now and again getting a special QB that gives us a shot at the MNC. That's the reality I see. It's not a bad place to be.

My only point in starting the thread was that the Big Ten is still the Big Ten, and we're balls deep in it.

Got it, and I can agree with that. I can tell you that as a Penn State fan I went through the same thing when we joined the Big Ten that I expect a lot of Nebraska fans will go through. For example:

I was used to my team dominating most of its opponents and winning most games easily. I was used to my team being a perennial top 10. I was so used to it that I expected PSU was gonna set the Big 10 on fire, become the new bully on the block. Instead what I found was that the Big Ten was a tough, gritty neighborhood. We were no longer the big fish in the pond. The Big 10 teams were used to slug fests and none of them scared easily. There were no gimmees any more, even against teams with losing records. Every week was a fight.I though we'd be going to the Rose Bowl every other year. Now I consider it a hard won and infrequent honor. Also, not to be understated...we (you) are now competing in recruiting with other Big 10 teams. It's not like the days of the old Big 8 where the best players in your neck of the woods choose between one or two schools (e.g., Nebraska and OU). Now they choose between Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Penn State, etc.

Life in the Big 10 is harder than it is in those leagues where one or two teams perennially dominate and so are always guaranteed the best talent. It's a black and blue conference. And not to everyone's taste. I confess I a big part of me misses the days of blowing out every opponent and guaranteed big bowl appearances. Winning easily is fun. But it also takes a lot of the mystery out of life. The Big 10 is a lot more like the NFL when it comes to parity than other conferences.

Good post Bushy, hit the nail on the head with that one.

PSU came in with much the same attitude that NU did...win the conference every year, introduce the Big Ten to PSU football, we are so great with our history and fans and etc. There's a lot to learn from them. You're not in Kansas anymore (ok tangential reference haha) It's a cold nasty neighborhood, you WILL lose games. So hey we may not be the best conference in the country but give it a chance and it will grow on you.

Discussions like this make no sense to me.

What does this have to do with the Big Ten or the Big 12? This is the same thing that Nebraska has done virtually every season since the 90's. It has nothing to do with the Big Ten or the Big 12, it has everything to do with Nebraska. As Bo would say, "We have to fix us."

yawn.

I'll put OSU's talent vs pretty much everyone in the country year in and year out.

Most BCS wins and appearances.

Big Ten is back with a vengeance when Urban comes to CBUS, m1ch1g@n gets their 90's talent back and JoePa dies so that someone else becomes the head coach.

We'll see how much of a cakewalk it is.

Also, I don't see ANY other conference playing the post season schedule that the Big Ten does.

3 guaranteed games vs SEC in SEC territory, 2 vs Big XII in Big XII territory and 1 vs the Pac-12 champ in Pac-12 territory. And then add another conference champ or 2 loss team because we get 2 BCS teams almost every year(ie when OSU gets to the BCS we get two. when OSU doesn't get there we get one)

OSU does not have the most BCS wins...that's deceptive as hell.

Please name a team with more......

Ok well, they're tied with several teams and several schools have better win percentages out of the games they've been to. OSU isn't exactly the best representative of our conference. I'm thrilled they're down this year. I'd kill to have Michigan replace them as the conference bully. Schembechler > Hayes

OSU does not have the most BCS wins...that's deceptive as hell.

Please name a team with more......

Ok well, they're tied with several teams and several schools have better win percentages out of the games they've been to. OSU isn't exactly the best representative of our conference. I'm thrilled they're down this year. I'd kill to have Michigan replace them as the conference bully. Schembechler > Hayes

lol.

Comparing Bo to Woody is silly. Woody had the National Titles and Heismans edge. And he lost to UW ONCE.

OSU being down = 7 or 8 wins and outside of the late 80's/early 90's they aren't down for long.

OSU will always be UWs bully. 54-18-5

AND OSU will always be top 3 in this conference. Sick and tired of having to pull the weight in this conference since the people up north decided that they were tired of dominating the Little 8 as well.

Nebraska should change that hopefully. Breath of fresh air.

Nebraska had lost to bad teams long before we joined the big ten, this isn't some new concept.... You guys don't need to pat yourselves on the back everytime we lose.

No patting here.

Nebraska losing to Northwestern is not good for the conference.

Just like garbage Minnesota beating ANYONE is bad.