So does JoePa "retire" now with the scandal coming out?

ensanehusker

Does JoePa "retire"  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

These will be my last thoughts, hopefully. If you witnessed a crime, called the police, would you then call them again to find out what was done about it? This sounds simple minded but this is what happened. JoePa did not witness anything but informed who he thought was the right authorities. Should he have been informed of the situation regarding Sandusky's status on campus? Yes. Remember, a 28 year old man, a middle school wrestling coach, a janitor, 2 police officers and a DA did nothing and apparently an AD and Business/Finance Manager of the University (who was in charge of the campus police) too and you blame Joe Paterno. You are right, as a father and grandfather I would have done more, even if it was not my grandchild. My youngest son is 18 and an athlete at his high school and he said if he had witnessed an action like described he would have approached Sandusky tried to stop him and called the police. We should know more today after the presser on JP thoughts and actions. Remember, this isn't about JP following up, its about a lack of informing on the part of Curley and Schultz. After all, he did say keeping him off campus was unenforceable.

These will be my last thoughts, hopefully. If you witnessed a crime, called the police, would you then call them again to find out what was done about it? This sounds simple minded but this is what happened. JoePa did not witness anything but informed who he thought was the right authorities. Should he have been informed of the situation regarding Sandusky's status on campus? Yes. Remember, a 28 year old man, a middle school wrestling coach, a janitor, 2 police officers and a DA did nothing and apparently an AD and Business/Finance Manager of the University (who was in charge of the campus police) too and you blame Joe Paterno. You are right, as a father and grandfather I would have done more, even if it was not my grandchild. My youngest son is 18 and an athlete at his high school and he said if he had witnessed an action like described he would have approached Sandusky tried to stop him and called the police. We should know more today after the presser on JP thoughts and actions. Remember, this isn't about JP following up, its about a lack of informing on the part of Curley and Schultz. After all, he did say keeping him off campus was unenforceable.

okay how do you rationalize the fact that Sandusky showed up to a Penn State practice in 2007 with another child from his charity? With what they knew from the original incident how do Paterno and McQueary not step in at that point? They had plenty of missed chances along the way.

I don't know, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Sandusky retire in 1999 and only use the facilities. Didn't JoPa report an incident to his superiors? What about the Grad student who witnessed the action why isn't he culpable. Come on folks, your right, I would have followed up, coach should have, but to force him out and say he is guilty is insane.

You need to read the grand jury report to understand this. Warning, though, it is horrifying and many people can't get through it completely. There's a lot more here than "an incident." There was a direct witness to a boy being forcibly raped in a Penn State shower. That witness told Paterno, and he relayed the info to his superiors. You need to understand the magnitude of these allegations to understand why JoePa (and everyone else who knew what Sandusky was doing) abdicated his responsibility so thoroughly by not making sure the police were contacted. Even worse, as recently as 2007 Sandusky was still coming to closed practices with young boys - AFTER Paterno and the school knew about the 1999 and 2002 incidents. In 2009, Sandusky was allowed to run an overnight football camp for youngsters on the Penn State campus. Sandusky was still allowed to use workout facilities as recently as last week.

This is huge, and I don't think it's quite hit most of the public how ugly it is. That will sink in over the coming days and weeks.

OK so I read all 23 pages. I still do not see where JoPa had direct knowledge of any sexual contact. Even in the earlier statements, he says there was inappropriate behavior on Sandusky's part. Before I go on, lets get one thing straight, in no way am I defending the actions of anyone involved. I am simply stating that JoPa should not get fired for his part. I am more disgusted by the grad assistant who at the age of 28 had to run home to daddy and tell him and NOT stop what he saw or Joesph Miller the wrestling coach who witnessed an incident and the janitor who ran and told everyone but did nothing to stop the attack including the police that listen in on a mothers conversation with him and the then DA that did nothing about it. WTF. This has nothing to do with living in the past (1960's) either. This is a sad story about a beloved coach that got away with it because no witness stepped in to stop it. JoPa turn the information over to his superiors, one of which oversaw the Campus Police. It wasn't his job to follow up, it was Gary Schultz as overseer of the campus police and Tim Curley, his boss.

Paterno is a Mandated Reporter - (a professional such as a teacher or a coach is required by law to report any suspected or observed child abuse or neglect to the police.)

okay how do you rationalize the fact that Sandusky showed up to a Penn State practice in 2007 with another child from his charity? With what they knew from the original incident how do Paterno and McQueary not step in at that point? They had plenty of missed chances along the way.

These are G. Schultz's words in the Grand Jury Report. I, like everyone else, know no more than this and not why.

Buzz across the news world is that JoePa is out. Today's presser cancellation simply first step.

You mean 'out' like this week, or at the end of the season?

I was wondering the same thing. I think it it would be best to leave now, instead of drawing this out for another month or two

I don't know, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Sandusky retire in 1999 and only use the facilities. Didn't JoPa report an incident to his superiors? What about the Grad student who witnessed the action why isn't he culpable. Come on folks, your right, I would have followed up, coach should have, but to force him out and say he is guilty is insane.

You need to read the grand jury report to understand this. Warning, though, it is horrifying and many people can't get through it completely. There's a lot more here than "an incident." There was a direct witness to a boy being forcibly raped in a Penn State shower. That witness told Paterno, and he relayed the info to his superiors. You need to understand the magnitude of these allegations to understand why JoePa (and everyone else who knew what Sandusky was doing) abdicated his responsibility so thoroughly by not making sure the police were contacted. Even worse, as recently as 2007 Sandusky was still coming to closed practices with young boys - AFTER Paterno and the school knew about the 1999 and 2002 incidents. In 2009, Sandusky was allowed to run an overnight football camp for youngsters on the Penn State campus. Sandusky was still allowed to use workout facilities as recently as last week.

This is huge, and I don't think it's quite hit most of the public how ugly it is. That will sink in over the coming days and weeks.

OK so I read all 23 pages. I still do not see where JoPa had direct knowledge of any sexual contact. Even in the earlier statements, he says there was inappropriate behavior on Sandusky's part. Before I go on, lets get one thing straight, in no way am I defending the actions of anyone involved. I am simply stating that JoPa should not get fired for his part. I am more disgusted by the grad assistant who at the age of 28 had to run home to daddy and tell him and NOT stop what he saw or Joesph Miller the wrestling coach who witnessed an incident and the janitor who ran and told everyone but did nothing to stop the attack including the police that listen in on a mothers conversation with him and the then DA that did nothing about it. WTF. This has nothing to do with living in the past (1960's) either. This is a sad story about a beloved coach that got away with it because no witness stepped in to stop it. JoPa turn the information over to his superiors, one of which oversaw the Campus Police. It wasn't his job to follow up, it was Gary Schultz as overseer of the campus police and Tim Curley, his boss.

Paterno is a Mandated Reporter - (a professional such as a teacher or a coach is required by law to report any suspected or observed child abuse or neglect to the police.)

He did, he reported it to the guy in charge of overseeing the Police Department. Penn St. police are not "Security Guards". They have an actual Police Department on campus with full police powers. My guess, and again I shouldn't speak for JoePa, is that he thought he was reporting to the right authorities. Now, I have no doubt he will retire after this season and should.

Buzz across the news world is that JoePa is out. Today's presser cancellation simply first step.

You mean 'out' like this week, or at the end of the season?

I was wondering the same thing. I think it it would be best to leave now, instead of drawing this out for another month or two

I would imagine it's "out now." I can't fathom why they'd keep him around through the end of the season. Every game will be a horrific circus if he's still with the program.

Forget it. There is no defense. There is no rational explanation. I hope, if placed in the same situation, I would protect the child. If I didn't, may God have mercy on my soul.

The Penn State alma mater includes this line: "May no act of ours bring shame." Someone wrote those words on a poster Monday and hung them from a statue of Paterno on Penn State's campus. If Sandusky pleads guilty or is convicted of these accusations, that statue of Paterno should be torn down.

Paterno has won 409 games. He has helped usher thousands of young men into adulthood. But if Paterno's inaction allowed a monster to continue preying on children, those victories don't mean a thing.

Andy Staples_SI

Amen!

• Fire 1

Only questions in my mind at this point in time is how much Urban Meyer likes broadcasting and how much Al Golden likes Miami.

I doubt Meyer reenters the coaching scene to a team with this kind of negativity surrounding it, Ohio State has a better shot imo. Looking at this situation, Al Golden may be thinking that Miami isn't such a bad place to be either.

Only questions in my mind at this point in time is how much Urban Meyer likes broadcasting and how much Al Golden likes Miami.

I doubt Meyer reenters the coaching scene to a team with this kind of negativity surrounding it, Ohio State has a better shot imo. Looking at this situation, Al Golden may be thinking that Miami isn't such a bad place to be either.

Penn State will survive the scandal, the coaches won't. For almost 10 years they have been wondering when and how the Joe Pa book is going to be closed...well now it can be slammed shut and thrown out without much of a debate among the fans and powers that be. If anything, when you think about this is actually a better situation for the next head coach because the house can be cleaned out and there will be no expectations to fill Joe's shoes. If they can bring in someone like Meyer, he'll have full support and control over all aspects of the program with no residual interest from the previous regime.