So does JoePa "retire" now with the scandal coming out?

ensanehusker

Does JoePa "retire"  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Joe has more than enough character credits in the bank to hold on for the season. It's not uncommon for people of his generation to be completely incapable of talking about difficult social issues, or however you want to phrase it, so he passed it along to superiors and assumed it had been dealt with. Maybe he could have done more, but it was probably painful for him to even think about whenever he saw Sandusky.

I just kinda wonder if he has the mental fortitude to deal with the stress of a scandal at his age, and maybe that will factor into his next move.

I don't know, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Sandusky retire in 1999 and only use the facilities. Didn't JoPa report an incident to his superiors? What about the Grad student who witnessed the action why isn't he culpable. Come on folks, your right, I would have followed up, coach should have, but to force him out and say he is guilty is insane.

This isn't 1960 anymore, and that's how he treated this whole situation. Times have changed, and not just black people playing football (in his speech few weeks back). So no one with a pair informed Mr. Joe Pa, at the risk of recruiting no doubt.

But I have to agree with Husker John in the original thread, he took an angle that I had not yet seen!

"If this would have happened to Paterno's grandchildren, I bet he never would have contacted any higher-up.....he would have contacted law enforcement immediately......"

-Husker John

Joe has more than enough character credits in the bank to hold on for the season. It's not uncommon for people of his generation to be completely incapable of talking about difficult social issues, or however you want to phrase it, so he passed it along to superiors and assumed it had been dealt with. Maybe he could have done more, but it was probably painful for him to even think about whenever he saw Sandusky.

I just kinda wonder if he has the mental fortitude to deal with the stress of a scandal at his age, and maybe that will factor into his next move.

I predict a resignation due to the health issues from the stress that this has caused him. Tomorrow.

I don't know, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Sandusky retire in 1999 and only use the facilities. Didn't JoPa report an incident to his superiors? What about the Grad student who witnessed the action why isn't he culpable. Come on folks, your right, I would have followed up, coach should have, but to force him out and say he is guilty is insane.

You need to read the grand jury report to understand this. Warning, though, it is horrifying and many people can't get through it completely. There's a lot more here than "an incident." There was a direct witness to a boy being forcibly raped in a Penn State shower. That witness told Paterno, and he relayed the info to his superiors. You need to understand the magnitude of these allegations to understand why JoePa (and everyone else who knew what Sandusky was doing) abdicated his responsibility so thoroughly by not making sure the police were contacted. Even worse, as recently as 2007 Sandusky was still coming to closed practices with young boys - AFTER Paterno and the school knew about the 1999 and 2002 incidents. In 2009, Sandusky was allowed to run an overnight football camp for youngsters on the Penn State campus. Sandusky was still allowed to use workout facilities as recently as last week.

This is huge, and I don't think it's quite hit most of the public how ugly it is. That will sink in over the coming days and weeks.

OK so I read all 23 pages. I still do not see where JoPa had direct knowledge of any sexual contact. Even in the earlier statements, he says there was inappropriate behavior on Sandusky's part. Before I go on, lets get one thing straight, in no way am I defending the actions of anyone involved. I am simply stating that JoPa should not get fired for his part. I am more disgusted by the grad assistant who at the age of 28 had to run home to daddy and tell him and NOT stop what he saw or Joesph Miller the wrestling coach who witnessed an incident and the janitor who ran and told everyone but did nothing to stop the attack including the police that listen in on a mothers conversation with him and the then DA that did nothing about it. WTF. This has nothing to do with living in the past (1960's) either. This is a sad story about a beloved coach that got away with it because no witness stepped in to stop it. JoPa turn the information over to his superiors, one of which oversaw the Campus Police. It wasn't his job to follow up, it was Gary Schultz as overseer of the campus police and Tim Curley, his boss.

You need to read the grand jury report to understand this. Warning, though, it is horrifying and many people can't get through it completely. There's a lot more here than "an incident." There was a direct witness to a boy being forcibly raped in a Penn State shower. That witness told Paterno, and he relayed the info to his superiors. You need to understand the magnitude of these allegations to understand why JoePa (and everyone else who knew what Sandusky was doing) abdicated his responsibility so thoroughly by not making sure the police were contacted. Even worse, as recently as 2007 Sandusky was still coming to closed practices with young boys - AFTER Paterno and the school knew about the 1999 and 2002 incidents. In 2009, Sandusky was allowed to run an overnight football camp for youngsters on the Penn State campus. Sandusky was still allowed to use workout facilities as recently as last week.

This is huge, and I don't think it's quite hit most of the public how ugly it is. That will sink in over the coming days and weeks.

OK so I read all 23 pages. I still do not see where JoPa had direct knowledge of any sexual contact. Even in the earlier statements, he says there was inappropriate behavior on Sandusky's part. Before I go on, lets get one thing straight, in no way am I defending the actions of anyone involved. I am simply stating that JoPa should not get fired for his part. I am more disgusted by the grad assistant who at the age of 28 had to run home to daddy and tell him and NOT stop what he saw or Joesph Miller the wrestling coach who witnessed and incident and the janitor who ran and told everyone but did nothing to stop the attack. WTF. This has nothing to do with living in the past (1960's) either. This is a sad story about a beloved coach that got away with it because no witness stepped in to stop it. JoPa turn the information over to his superiors, one of which oversaw the Campus Police. It wasn't his job to follow up, it was Gary Schultz as overseer of the campus police and Tim Curley, his boss.

Can't believe you feel this way.

OK so I read all 23 pages. I still do not see where JoPa had direct knowledge of any sexual contact. Even in the earlier statements, he says there was inappropriate behavior on Sandusky's part. Before I go on, lets get one thing straight, in no way am I defending the actions of anyone involved. I am simply stating that JoPa should not get fired for his part. I am more disgusted by the grad assistant who at the age of 28 had to run home to daddy and tell him and NOT stop what he saw or Joesph Miller the wrestling coach who witnessed and incident and the janitor who ran and told everyone but did nothing to stop the attack. WTF. This has nothing to do with living in the past (1960's) either. This is a sad story about a beloved coach that got away with it because no witness stepped in to stop it. JoPa turn the information over to his superiors, one of which oversaw the Campus Police. It wasn't his job to follow up, it was Gary Schultz as overseer of the campus police and Tim Curley, his boss.

Why? Rather than trying to intimidate someone into agreeing with you, why don't explain your position.

OK so I read all 23 pages. I still do not see where JoPa had direct knowledge of any sexual contact. Even in the earlier statements, he says there was inappropriate behavior on Sandusky's part. Before I go on, lets get one thing straight, in no way am I defending the actions of anyone involved. I am simply stating that JoPa should not get fired for his part. I am more disgusted by the grad assistant who at the age of 28 had to run home to daddy and tell him and NOT stop what he saw or Joesph Miller the wrestling coach who witnessed an incident and the janitor who ran and told everyone but did nothing to stop the attack including the police that listen in on a mothers conversation with him and the then DA that did nothing about it. WTF. This has nothing to do with living in the past (1960's) either. This is a sad story about a beloved coach that got away with it because no witness stepped in to stop it. JoPa turn the information over to his superiors, one of which oversaw the Campus Police. It wasn't his job to follow up, it was Gary Schultz as overseer of the campus police and Tim Curley, his boss.

Like a poster said before character is doing the right thing when no one else is looking. If it was Joe Pa's grandson it would have been handled differently! That in itself is the hypocrisy of this whole situation which is inexcusable. IMHO

WOW, neither can I. Especially this - It wasn't his job to follow up, -is really disturbing. The GA told JP that he saw Sandusky in the shower with what he believed was a 10yr old boy doing whatever and all JP does is inform his boss. No other actions taken after it was obvious that nothing was going to come out of this. It was his responsibility to follow up, to inform authorities outsides the university. Maybe not legally, but what kind of human being do you have to be that it doesn't bother you that a kid gets sexually abused? Or that it bothers you just so little that you think you have done all you can by simply reporting it to the guy above you.

This is a sad story about a beloved coach that got away with it because no witness stepped in to stop it.

JP could have stopped it. Anybody that knew about it could have stopped it. And whoever knew and didn't stop Sandusky by simply going to the police is just as guilty. You don't have to be a witness. The words - Sandusky, 10yr old boy, shower, doing stuff - is all JP needed to take the appropriate action. But he didn't so I hope he and everybody else is gonna burn in hell right next to that Sandusky mofo.