D-Line Scheme?

Here's the 1 other thing that bothers me: Jason Peter does not seem to be a big Bo fan or a fan of this defense.

If there's 1 guy who should know it all from soup to nuts about NU's defense and how they run things it's him. Yet I always hear him talk about how they're not in the right schemes and how they just don't play with any sort of pride/passion.

And you know what - I agree with him 100%.

Here's the 1 other thing that bothers me: Jason Peter does not seem to be a big Bo fan or a fan of this defense.

If there's 1 guy who should know it all from soup to nuts about NU's defense and how they run things it's him. Yet I always hear him talk about how they're not in the right schemes and how they just don't play with any sort of pride/passion.

Who is Jason Peter to judge if a unit is playing with pride or passion? I know his credentials, so spare me the lecture on that. Doesn't change the fact that he has no right to judge if a unit plays with pride or passion. He can talk all he wants about the scheme and I'll probably agree with him, after all he has probably forgotten more about schemes than I'll ever know.

Was Peter vocal during 2009 when the 2-gap worked? Or has he just recently been vocal just this year about our D-Line running the wrong scheme?

To be successful, any D scheme requires the players to make plays. We don't get the dominating defense of prior years just by changing scheme. But, I do agree that the 2 gap scheme requires extraordinary athletes on the D line for it to work. I don't feel we have the athletes this year to effectively run a 2 gap system. Evidenced by the facts that we have gotten no pressure from our D line on any opposing quarterbacks and our run defense has invariably given up minimum 3-4 yard gains even when a run into the line can be anticipated. The 2 gap is designed to be a bend but don't break system and it has lived up to that for the most part even without extraordinary athletes. We have not given up many big plays but when we do it is ugly and we bend way too much otherwise. I think it is a great system when you have the correct personnel working it. Personally, I would like to see more of the amoeba. It has to be confusing for the offense to calculate and adjust their blocking schemes and it would help keep us fans from picking it apart because nobody can tell what the hell is going on with it.

Who is Jason Peter to judge if a unit is playing with pride or passion? I know his credentials, so spare me the lecture on that. Doesn't change the fact that he has no right to judge if a unit plays with pride or passion. He can talk all he wants about the scheme and I'll probably agree with him, after all he has probably forgotten more about schemes than I'll ever know.

Was Peter vocal during 2009 when the 2-gap worked? Or has he just recently been vocal just this year about our D-Line running the wrong scheme?

He's been vocal the whole time - even with Suh there.

Yeah, J Peter was long very critical of Suh. Didn't think he was enough of a "murderer" and/or leader. Suh developed though, I think. I suspect J Peter would agree.

I am glad to finally see E Martin playing. He makes mistakes, but he also makes plays. Violent plays.

Bo had issues against running QBs in 2003. His scheme still does. But he isn't the only Defensive genius to have issues with that.

What baffles me is how some guys make one mistake and they go into witness protection and other guys seemingly can make mistakes all day long and keep playing.

He was vocal about the passion and what not early in the season, but I don't remember him one time whining about the 2-gap that year.

As for as coaching defense goes, Pelini's credentials vastly outshadow Peter's. There's a reason he's behind a mic and not on the sidelines.

Yeah, J Peter was long very critical of Suh. Didn't think he was enough of a "murderer" and/or leader. Suh developed though, I think. I suspect J Peter would agree.

I am glad to finally see E Martin playing. He makes mistakes, but he also makes plays. Violent plays.

Bo had issues against running QBs in 2003. His scheme still does. But he isn't the only Defensive genius to have issues with that.

What baffles me is how some guys make one mistake and they go into witness protection and other guys seemingly can make mistakes all day long and keep playing.

It's called "depth issues". Bo doesn't have depth on the defense, hence the constant shuffling around of players. On offense (as in the Tyler Moore and Turner examples) it works bec. he has guys to fill in. That's my take on it.

I've said this a million times: Even with Bo's best defenses he's had problems stopping the run. That HAS to change. Stopping mobile QB's is equally an issue and seems to be a much bigger issue with Bo's schemes than it is with say......... Iowa or Michigan's defenses stopping a mobile QB. We've given out career days to average QB's. Case in point Braxton Miller, Kain Colter, Derek Carr..... and on and on. None of these guys have had near the career days they did against other teams as they did against NU. Remember "Robbie Rouse" RB from WKU going wild on our defense last year? What about that Fresno RB? Or even Kendall Hunter getting 200+ yds?

Ridiculous.

Honestly. Peters on his best day couldn't run a competent defense. The guy is a tool and washed out druggie that very few people have respect for. Too bad simpletons listen to him. Just because someone yells loud, it doesnt make him right.

Honestly. Peters on his best day couldn't run a competent defense. The guy is a tool and washed out druggie that very few people have respect for. Too bad simpletons listen to him. Just because someone yells loud, it doesnt make him right.

The only simpletons are the idiots who can't see and understand what he says. And BTW, it's not "Peters".

I think Bo is a superb DC to say the least but I'd love to see him return to an attacking defense. Yeah, we'd probably give up more pts but we'd get wayyyyyy more early stops, 3 & outs and turnovers on opponent offenses. Just wishful dreaming.....

GBR!!

I don't understand what you're saying: If he's a "superb DC" then why doesn't he run a scheme that works?

And sorry - I don't buy the excuse that our talent is worse than Iowa State's.

Not sure what makes Bo a "superb DC". Anybody could of coached the LSU D when they won the NC. If not for Suh, the Pelinis don't make it to 2 B12 title games period. Now, they are fresh out of BC recruits and the defense is pretty bad. Coinsidence? Not sure, but if he was a "superb DC", NW doesn't shred us like they did. He and his brother need to change something that gives what we have a chance. Whether you admit it or not, getting talent on campus is a big thing, and so far it doesn't look like we will see a BCS game for quite a while.