How DO we win against Penn State?

ladyhawke

What is the best strategy we can use to beat this team? I've heard their defense is excellent but that they have a weak offense. Our offense and defense can play very effectively (we proved that against MSU). What kind of game plan can we expect? Bo says that his team is very focused right now-how can we maintain that focus given the situation at State College?

i would include that our defense needs to pull their heads out of their posteriors for us to have a shot.....Silas Redd is not a slouch.....and although PSTs offense hasnt "put it together" yet, our defense has made some bad offenses look good this year.....i expect a 34-27 game (or in that range)......our defense needs to show up

On offense, we have GOT to get our speed on the field with good timing. This may be running tunnel screens or end arounds to Turner/Bell on 1st & 2nd downs. Turner has got to be a part of this game. Also, running that hitch to BK or KB on 1st & 2nd wouldn't hurt, either. I think we need a slightly healthier mix in the first half to get us closer to success on offense.

The option just isn't cutting it, it would seem. We might as well run the power toss to one of the Fab Three if we're looking to exploit the edges. Throw in the steady dose of power-run Rex with a little more rotating him in/out and the occasional look down field by Taylor, and I think we can actually score a lot of points in this game.

We need to keep 71 out of our backfield. Swing a few to Burkhead in the flats and look for Bell or Turner over the middle under the safeties. Penn St plays a very aggressive defense and by the 4th quarter things might look different. They have 2 quarterbacks, one can run but not accurate throwing , the other is more of a pocket style and really trusts in O-Line. Alabama won their game on turnovers and finding the open receivers over the middle. The linebackers play fast and loose and their key receiver is 6'.5". Taylor will have to make quick decisions to move the ball down field.

On offense, we have GOT to get our speed on the field with good timing. This may be running tunnel screens or end arounds to Turner/Bell on 1st & 2nd downs. Turner has got to be a part of this game. Also, running that hitch to BK or KB on 1st & 2nd wouldn't hurt, either. I think we need a slightly healthier mix in the first half to get us closer to success on offense.

The option just isn't cutting it, it would seem. We might as well run the power toss to one of the Fab Three if we're looking to exploit the edges. Throw in the steady dose of power-run Rex with a little more rotating him in/out and the occasional look down field by Taylor, and I think we can actually score a lot of points in this game.

I read on the 'Tidbits from the Big Red Breakfast' that they DO plan to use more rotation in this game. That seems to work really well. I agree that our offense just doesn't have the option down to the point where it's effective.

I would think a gameplan similar to Michigan State would be good except I am not sure if Rex can handle another 30+ carry game. We are going to need him healthy. A good way to get the edge on an overly aggressive D is misdirection and speed. I am sure the coaches have a plan in place, and my thought is if we come to play we should go away winners of this one.