Penn State Blue Out Shirts Need to be Recalled ASAP

Can't believe it but Penn State actually even managed to screw this one up. Those shirts they are putting out are in horrible taste.

The idea behind the message itself is fine but the words they use are absolutely wrong.

They read"Stop Child Abuse, Blue Out Nebraska."

They just as easily could have put Stop Child Abuse, Blue out 11-12-11 or Penn State Blue Out Against Child Abuse.

They conveniently don't have their logo or name anywhere on the shirt but they'll put ours on it? Pathetic.

Can you imagine if someone wears this outside Happy Valley? People who don't know exactly what it is for are going to look at it and associate it with something having to do with Child Abuse + Nebraska and NOTHING to do with Penn State.

Our administration needs to ensure Penn State disposes of those shirts and has them remade without mentioning Nebraska before they hand more of them out and have them recall the ones they already sold.

http://www.dailyoran...34#.Tr4kEfI1R-0

Not to be a contrarian, but I can see it working the other way very easily. These ribbon symbols are 100% associated with a good or noble cause. With just our name, it sorta looks like we're the noble ones.

In fact, I could even conjure a scenario where someone would think Nebraska changed their color to blue in support of the cause against child abuse.

Ouch, that's some unfortunate wording but you can't get worked up about everything. With as big a story as this is I say just give them a little leeway and don't make an issue of this. Let's assume good faith on their part until proven otherwise. Can you imagine how big of an a-hole you'd seem to the public if you actually got a movement going and a wide reaching platform? People would just hear, "Nebraska fans seek to stop Child Abuse Chairty T-Shirts", it wouldn't play well. There are battles worth fighting and this isn't one of them.

I cannot believe they went with that wording. What the eff is wrong with those people out there? Like Nebraska needed to be dragged further into THEIR pedophile coverup scandal. I guess the "We are.....Penn State" thing really means "We keep screwing up". I agree with Badgerfan, at this point we can't raise a stink because it could be taken the wrong way. But, this really pisses me off. It is yet another case of- what the hell were they thinking? (BTW if you're keeping score, those are really piling up) That wording could be misconstrued as "blue out nebraska because they aren't opposed to child abuse but we are cuz we got these stupid T-shirts". And I don't doubt someone made that conscious decision. It's like yet another cover up of what is really happening. If they still have a football program or school next year, we will need to wear T-shirts that read "Stop pedophiles-black0ut Penn State". How would that be any different except being more realistic?

Relax, folks. Nobody is possibly going to forget this scandal, anymore than they would forget JFK or the Challenger Space Shuttle blowing up. Let's quit worrying about how we are possibly going to get hurt. This is not the time to be selfish. These people are trying to make good out of evil. They have no intention of hurting us.

I understand and agree with what you are saying but I'm sure PSU as an institution had no intention of hurting children either. We see how that turned out. Intentions are well and good but they really need to start following up those intentions with prudent measures rather than boneheaded decisions like this. I may have overreacted to the T-shirts but why in the hell would they put another teams name on a T-shirt with an issue such as child abuse? A lot of people surrounding that institution have their heads up their arse.

I was so hoping that we could keep a low profile, go in there and play the game, hopefully win but more importantly get everyone out safely, and then return to some sort of normalcy. Maybe in a couple years no one remembers what team played them immediately following this debacle. Then they put our name on their symbolic T-shirts......

Selfish? yeah, but sometimes a bit of selfishness is required to protect yourself.

Can't believe it but Penn State actually even managed to screw this one up. Those shirts they are putting out are in horrible taste.

The idea behind the message itself is fine but the words they use are absolutely wrong.

They read"Stop Child Abuse, Blue Out Nebraska."

They just as easily could have put Stop Child Abuse, Blue out 11-12-11 or Penn State Blue Out Against Child Abuse.

They conveniently don't have their logo or name anywhere on the shirt but they'll put ours on it? Pathetic.

Can you imagine if someone wears this outside Happy Valley? People who don't know exactly what it is for are going to look at it and associate it with something having to do with Child Abuse + Nebraska and NOTHING to do with Penn State.

Our administration needs to ensure Penn State disposes of those shirts and has them remade without mentioning Nebraska before they hand more of them out and have them recall the ones they already sold.

http://www.dailyoran...34#.Tr4kEfI1R-0

Relax man,

81867891.gif

Wow, try to imagine yourself finding this shirt at some time in the future, removed from this situation-- how would you interpret it? I would assume that it was a dig an abuse scandal in/at Nebraska, wouldn't you? I'm not even sure what they're getting at with that construction.

People will have absolutely no idea what the shirt means in the future, nor will they think that the state of Nebraska condones child abuse. It's a blue shirt, no one will associate it with the University of Nebraska. How many times do you walk around trying to figure out what bumper stickers mean and then saying "oh boy this the entire state of X are a bunch of pedophiles"? Nobody cares about something like this or would actually read into it the way some of you are.

I have never seen a fanbase like you guys, its actually comical; a large portion of you think the sky is falling all the time. You guys as a generalization are just so pessimistic its ridiculous. Every thread on this site ends up being a "oh my God, we are screwed" deal. For your guys' own sake please try to enjoy life at some point, not everything is going to turn out horribly for the state of Nebraska. I can assure you. Just smile.

I can also assure you this whole t-shirt thing is not going be associated with Nebraska condoning child abuse or not standing up for child abuse or anything remotely close to it now or anytime in the future. Okay I'm done ranting, but seriously some of you guys really need to relax. Stop to smell the flowers and all that jazz.

People will have absolutely no idea what the shirt means in the future, nor will they think that the state of Nebraska condones child abuse. It's a blue shirt, no one will associate it with the University of Nebraska. How many times do you walk around trying to figure out what bumper stickers mean and then saying "oh boy this the entire state of X are a bunch of pedophiles"? Nobody cares about something like this or would actually read into it the way some of you are.

I have never seen a fanbase like you guys, its actually comical; a large portion of you think the sky is falling all the time. You guys as a generalization are just so pessimistic its ridiculous. Every thread on this site ends up being a "oh my God, we are screwed" deal. For your guys' own sake please try to enjoy life at some point, not everything is going to turn out horribly for the state of Nebraska. I can assure you. Just smile.

I can also assure you this whole t-shirt thing is not going be associated with Nebraska condoning child abuse or not standing up for child abuse or anything remotely close to it now or anytime in the future. Okay I'm done ranting, but seriously some of you guys really need to relax. Stop to smell the flowers and all that jazz.

Guess it's hard to understand the frustration that we have dealt with in the last decade or so. Didn't know no other team out there feels the same. Glad you clarified the sky is falling for NU fans...I was worried for a minute there. Anyways, no need for you to bump a whopping 13 post thread to clarify all of your rant for us.