Michigan -- How Does NU win?

Stickney

I don't think NU fans are going to see much "pressure" on Robinson. The d-line will play with a controlled rush forcing Robinson to "run away" from the play. NU will play man on the backside (with the backside DL just playing containment) allowing an extra person LB or DB to follow Robinson to the "play side". This will be the formula to contain Robinson and force a turnover or two.

With Dennard in a man-to-man, and Green playing in a zone with Stafford/Cassidy, the Wolverines might actually just play into the strengths that the Husker defense has. David/Stafford will be able to run and make plays.

Going out on a limb...Nebraska 38; Michigan 17 (Robinson will score at least once on pure athleticism)

NU offensively: keep doin' what you do!!!

If the d-line comes out and plays with a controlled rush, we can automatically mark this down as an "L". Sorry, but the controlled rush thing is the dumbest thing I have seen. It looks like the d-linemen are just standing around and not even trying. I mean, what's the point? So the QB has all day to sit back there and pick apart our D? The d-line has enough problems pressuring QBs and then you ask them for a controlled rush? Forget about it. Controlled rush equates to ZERO pressure and ALL day for WRs to get open and the QB to get them the ball.

Get after Denard with blitzes and let our d-linemen loose. That's the only way we have a chance to win this game.

I don't think NU fans are going to see much "pressure" on Robinson. The d-line will play with a controlled rush forcing Robinson to "run away" from the play. NU will play man on the backside (with the backside DL just playing containment) allowing an extra person LB or DB to follow Robinson to the "play side". This will be the formula to contain Robinson and force a turnover or two.

With Dennard in a man-to-man, and Green playing in a zone with Stafford/Cassidy, the Wolverines might actually just play into the strengths that the Husker defense has. David/Stafford will be able to run and make plays.

Going out on a limb...Nebraska 38; Michigan 17 (Robinson will score at least once on pure athleticism)

If the d-line comes out and plays with a controlled rush, we can automatically mark this down as an "L". Sorry, but the controlled rush thing is the dumbest thing I have seen. It looks like the d-linemen are just standing around and not even trying. I mean, what's the point? So the QB has all day to sit back there and pick apart our D? The d-line has enough problems pressuring QBs and then you ask them for a controlled rush? Forget about it. Controlled rush equates to ZERO pressure and ALL day for WRs to get open and the QB to get them the ball.

Get after Denard with blitzes and let our d-linemen loose. That's the only way we have a chance to win this game.

Yup.

That's why I sometimes wish I could get a press pass, fly up to Lincoln and ask Bo point blank if that's the premise of his defense and WHY he runs that silly scheme? Again, if there is proof that we run this "patty cake DL" scheme by design, then Bo is simply not a very good DC. To me it just looks like we have no talent on the DL and that equates to guys not being able to shed blocks.

D Rob has 2,475 of Michigan's 3,927 yards of total offense, or greater than 80% of their offensive production thus far. I don't think dedicating your best player to stopping that is wasting him.

Those stats aren't >80%. Just saying.

However, containing D Rob must be of emphasis. Using David to do so makes sense.

• Fire 1

Yup.

That's why I sometimes wish I could get a press pass, fly up to Lincoln and ask Bo point blank if that's the premise of his defense and WHY he runs that silly scheme? Again, if there is proof that we run this "patty cake DL" scheme by design, then Bo is simply not a very good DC. To me it just looks like we have no talent on the DL and that equates to guys not being able to shed blocks.

We got after the QB in the Mich St game. He was pressured all day long, but it was because we actually went after him. Obviously the QBs are entirely different players, but I can guarantee we will lose if Denard is not pressured. When he is pressured, he makes alot of mistakes. Will he scamper from time to time? Yes, but it's better than being picked apart in the passing game. And I understand he isn't a good passer, but when you have more than five seconds for the WRs to get open and for the QB to make a decision, it's pretty simple pitch and catch.

If we put pressure on him, we win this game.

What I don't get is having all 4 DLs standing up and dancing. Put any two down and have 2 others and LB do the little dance. You can stack them and then do a stunt, or something.

Why teams haven't audibled out to a run or a QB draw 2 out of every 3 times NU starts doing it is surprising. Perhaps they figure that the DL won't get any rush anyway, so might as well pass.

At any rate, it has been more successful than I like to admit (watch the tape, it's true). But it does seem to be almost a white flag of "we will try anything at this point to just try to look like we can get some pressure."

Yup.

We got after the QB in the Mich St game. He was pressured all day long, but it was because we actually went after him. Obviously the QBs are entirely different players, but I can guarantee we will lose if Denard is not pressured. When he is pressured, he makes alot of mistakes. Will he scamper from time to time? Yes, but it's better than being picked apart in the passing game. And I understand he isn't a good passer, but when you have more than five seconds for the WRs to get open and for the QB to make a decision, it's pretty simple pitch and catch.

If we put pressure on him, we win this game.

That's what MSU did. They harassed the bejesus out of him. The question is - can NU generate that same pass rush without giving up huge runs? MI has found a RB now (Toussant) and he's very good. We'll have to keep the rush lanes in check. This is where great DE play comes in - and which we have ZERO talent. MSU had great DE play in that game.

D Rob has 2,475 of Michigan's 3,927 yards of total offense, or greater than 80% of their offensive production thus far. I don't think dedicating your best player to stopping that is wasting him.

Those stats aren't >80%. Just saying.

However, containing D Rob must be of emphasis. Using David to do so makes sense.

You are correct! I threw the numbers into Excel and .88 popped out, and I didn't pay attention to the numbers. Turns out I used 3,475 instead of 2,475. So it's 60%, or a little more. Thanks for catching that. +1

I'll be able to tell if Nebraska wins or losses this game based on the first Michigan series. If we don't spy Robinson, he is going to kill our defense with his feet and we lose. Hopefully Bo learned from the Northwestern loss that sometimes you have to defend against a running QB. If the past serves as a portents for the future, we are in trouble.

I'll be able to tell if Nebraska wins or losses this game based on the first Michigan series. If we don't spy Robinson, he is going to kill our defense with his feet and we lose. Hopefully Bo learned from the Northwestern loss that sometimes you have to defend against a running QB. If the past serves as a portents for the future, we are in trouble.

Well, I'll be able to tell if Nebraska wins or loses this game based on our 1st series. If our Oline get no push (like NW) we lose. If they do we win. If they at least can hold their own somewhat then I'll use your scenario.

Defensively, we just "must" send some pressure. Super D........WHERE ARE YOU?

Congratulations to you if you can determine if we will win the game based on Michigan's first series. Going by the same logic, we were going to beat Wisconsin right?

First couple of series I see us as being extremely aggressive or somewhat conservative. And of course, I think our D is going to be predicated by how our offense performs.

We're going to have to get them into 3rd and long situations. 3rd and < 8. Anything shorter than 3rd and < 4 is going to be tough for us to stop 65% of the time. How we get them into 3rd and longs is what Bo and Carl need to decide.

Congratulations to you if you can determine if we will win the game based on Michigan's first series. Going by the same logic, we were going to beat Wisconsin right?

First couple of series I see us as being extremely aggressive or somewhat conservative. And of course, I think our D is going to be predicated by how our offense performs.

We're going to have to get them into 3rd and long situations. 3rd and < 8. Anything shorter than 3rd and < 4 is going to be tough for us to stop 65% of the time. How we get them into 3rd and longs is what Bo and Carl need to decide.

Heh...true enough! Just playing around.....

GBR!!