I was wrong about the B!G ………………

Comish

For years I believed the B!G was one of the more over-rated conferences and I enjoyed watching them get their a$$es handed to them regularly in the post season.

I still maintain this is not a pretty conference and it won’t be in any NC conversations this year, but it IS a slugfest (like we had been warned). And, I’ve got to say, I’m enjoying the parity and challenges of being forced to bring it every week. (Exhibit # 1….see Northwestern).

I recognize this probably sounds like a death bed conversion since we are now a member, and maybe some of it is. But the fact is, that for the style of football we are known for, and like to play……………this is a very good fit. Maybe even better than we anticipated.

Agree………….or no……………??

I think the reason for the BigTen getting a false sense of being over-rated is because their bowl tie-ins don't do them any promise. Cap1 bowl vs SEC, Outback Bowl vs SEC, etc...

For years I believed the B!G was one of the more over-rated conferences and I enjoyed watching them get their a$$es handed to them regularly in the post season.

I still maintain this is not a pretty conference and it won’t be in any NC conversations this year, but it IS a slugfest (like we had been warned). And, I’ve got to say, I’m enjoying the parity and challenges of being forced to bring it every week. (Exhibit # 1….see Northwestern).

I recognize this probably sounds like a death bed conversion since we are now a member, and maybe some of it is. But the fact is, that for the style of football we are known for, and like to play……………this is a very good fit. Maybe even better than we anticipated.

Agree………….or no……………??

I think the reason for the BigTen getting a false sense of being over-rated is because their bowl tie-ins don't do them any promise. Cap1 bowl vs SEC, Outback Bowl vs SEC, etc...

Excellent point...........

I think the big ten has been overrated because 2 of the three traditional powers (Michigan, Penn State) have been down since 2006. Now, Ohio State is down too. A conference is mainly judged based on how its top tier teams do. MSU and Wisconsin are good teams, but I don't think they are strong enough to be flagship programs for a conference (I thought they were, but they each had embarrassing bowl losses last year). While it is a very deep conference, I don't think it will get respect until some combination of Michigan/Nebraska/Ohio State/PSU is back on top

I think the big ten has been overrated because 2 of the three traditional powers (Michigan, Penn State) have been down since 2006. Now, Ohio State is down too. A conference is mainly judged based on how its top tier teams do. MSU and Wisconsin are good teams, but I don't think they are strong enough to be flagship programs for a conference (I thought they were, but they each had embarrassing bowl losses last year). While it is a very deep conference, I don't think it will get respect until some combination of Michigan/Nebraska/Ohio State/PSU is back on top

Excellent point. I wholeheartedly agree. The B1G needs a team in the top 5 or 2-3 in the top 10 to get some respect. Wiscy and MSU have decent teams but not the type to earn national respect for your conference. Maybe with more of a sustained record of excellence? There is no way Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio St, & PSU are down the same year too many times but this is one of those times.

This! Penn State might very well be down for a long time. Who knows with Ohio State? The Big 12 is better this year, and the BCS standings reflect this. It might very well be a sinking ship, but it is better this year. The problem with the Big 10 this year is that they have good teams, but no one is great. It could be a while before any of the four teams you mention is back on top. PSU is in big trouble, and their problems will more than likely linger for an extended period of time. Michigan might be headed in the right direcion, but it's going to take them a while to transition away from Rich Rod's spread. Ohio State is a toss up without knowing who their next coach will be.

Mostly agree.

PSU getting back to 90's level will take quite some time with the stigma that's going to come with that job. 5 years before they even think about being PSU of the 90's.

I think a Big 3 would be good for the conference. They actually have to play like it because right now it's bad.

Everyone else can fall in line after that until PSU gets back(No doubt they will EVENTUALLY get back IMO).

having schools like UW,MSU and Iowa in the middle is good.

Fitzgerald(the best coach in the Big Ten) staying at Northwestern is good and they should improve.

Illinois is set to fire Zooker. Don't know if they can get much better. They have spurts but they don't have the commitment of the alumni for consistent excellence. Same with Purdue.

IU and Minny are hopeless right now...