Nyatawa's Stats - Taylor's Targets/Catches

knapplc

I think I understand what 3rd is trying to say; of course they "want" to catch the ball. But I'm not sure what possible excuse a player could have for not catching a ball that hits them in the hands. Probably over thinking it, thinking ahead to the run, hearing footsteps, possibly a hand injury, etc. I don't feel Taylor has been so far off the mark so often that anyone can claim the receivers are literally surprised by a catchable ball thrown their way. It is highly possible that our offense simply does not commit enough practice time to the QB and WR's getting in total sync. No doubt that consistently well thrown balls will result in a higher percentage of catches. But there is also no arguing that our WR's should be completing more of these catchable balls. No excuses, they aren't getting it done satisfactorily and that is not Martinez's fault.

First, I do agree, particularly since Swift and Pedersen left, that the wideouts have NOT done a good job of going and GETTING the Bloody ball. I don't know if that is "will" or rather just not being aggressive.

However, in the WRs defense, I do think they run a route and are "thinking" about where the ball will be, assuming it won't hit them on target. Thinking is a recipe for disaster in football.

I don't agree, because if the ball is on target and hits you in the hands how can you over think that....you think they are surprised its not target and they all of the sudden drop it out of shock? I believe our receivers (and a lot of receivers that drop balls) are too concerned with what they are going to do after the catch before they actually catch it. Lack of focus.

I believe this has a lot of merit, which I've mentioned numerous times. I really believe they are always trying to make a big play and forgetting the number one, first rule in receiving. CATCH AND SECURE THE BALL FIRST. This is probably something we will see improve (hopefully) if they are continuing to drill the findamentals of concentraton and focus in practice. But old habits are difficult to break and it will take time.

Nothing you can label it makes it OK, it is what it is, a mistake. But go tell those receivers you think they're dropping balls because they don't want it enough and I bet you get a different reception from them in the future when you want to speak with them. It's just incredulous to me that someone who defends the players on most occassions would make a statement like that.

In fact, tell Bo you think his kids are dropping balls because they don't have the will to catch them.

Lighten up. You're making a huge deal out of semantics. You can label it any way you want. Bottom line is, the ball hits the guy in the hands. He drops it. Use whatever label makes you happy.

I get what you are saying 3rd, but I'm thinking what knapp is saying, at least how I'm reading it (you can correct me if I'm wrong knapp), is that the receivers need to have the mentality that they are gonna get the ball and know one else is. They need to have aggressiveness going after the ball and do everything in their power to come down with it and there is nothing the defender can do to stop him.

So our receivers can only catch the ball if it's thrown to the exact same spot every time so they can get reps on it?

I guess that's why every week, all over the country, we see other teams' receivers making all sorts of catches that are too high, behind them, too low, etc etc.

Go watch Landry Jones. He consistently can put a ball on target. There is a trust between receiver and QB.

I remember watching Landry Jones throw 5 ints in one game vs us, it has taken him awhile to get to the point he is. That is when he was maturing as a QB and this is Taylor Maturing as a QB

I remember that too. But others claim he always throws pinpoint passes. :confucius This whole thread is so much BS.

For a wr, if the damn ball hits your hands you should catch it. Jeeeeeesh......the hatred for our qb is so great even that simple concept is over-ruled. Unless Taylor walks up to our wr and sews the ball to his jersey (between the numbers, of course) then it's really not a drop.

The tiniest amount of common sense tells one that sure, there's been some balls that would take terrific catches to make but I've never seen even "one" poster bitch about not making those. It's the routine balls that hits our wrs in the hands that they still drop that drives us NU fans nuts.

This scenario has been going on seemingly forever with N. Paul & other at NU. Funny that I never heard these BS excuses used when our wrs were dropping Z. Lee's passes all over the place. Gee, what a surprise.

We have to go back to Swift & Peterson since we had wrs who could reliably catch the ball. They weren't anywhere close to superb athletes but they compensated brilliantly by simply catching the ball. Our wrs can be fast as the wind and electric as J. Rodgers but if they can't hack catching the ball they need to be on the bench. Beck isn't stupid. He's not going to put guys like Bell & Turner out there because of their blocking ability....that's for damn sure.

Heh, I bet Matt Davison just shakes his head in disgust.

GBR!!