The Immediate and Short-term Future

robsker

In the B1G it would appear that Michigan is hugely on the rise and is going to soar to the top of the conference. Ohio State has all the talent, is young, and now has Urban Meyer. I'd think that for the immediate and the short-term foreseeable future (say the next 2-3 years anyway) that Michigan and Ohio State will pull away from the rest of the B1G and create a top-tier that the others will not approach. One of these two will win the conference every year in the foreseeable future.

Wisconsin and Michigan State lose a lot to graduation this year and will likely regress some. Neither will likely challenge the big two (OSU and Michigan) overly. Penn State and Nebraska are next in the pecking order and it is an unknown as to whether these two programs will catch up with Wisconsin or Michigan State.

I predict that the conference will soon be (starting next year) dominated by Michigan and Ohio State. Our victory over Ohio State this year will be the last one for a long, long, long time. What we saw at Michigan is what I think will become commonplace.

The Huskers will be fighting for positions between #3 and #5/#6 with Wisconsin, Michigan State (who may be heading down as Michigan once more ascends), Penn State and, perhaps Iowa.

I would not be surprised if, in say 2020, we look back and see the Huskers still w/o a conference championship. This year was likely the best shot we had... and it was somewhat a long-shot. The probability of a Husker conference championship in the B1G will be much, much lower in the future --- starting next year where Michigan and Ohio State pull away from the pack.

Interestingly, on ESPN last night when they discussed Meyer's going to the B1G, the question was "Will OSU now dominate the Conference?" The answer was likely not but that they would be favorites very soon... they mentioned, at length Michigan, mentioned Wisconsin, then talked of MSU and then PSU... no one... not one person mentioned Nebraska...

Ouch...

As were things in the B12, I am afraid so too will be things in the B10.

we can't afford to keep recruiting Nebraska kids and expect this program to improve. Bo has 2-3 years tops to get this team competitive.

secrecy and coachspeak for 2-3 more years will be quite enough for us all.......we lose what little talent we have at the end of this season.

4-5 losses next year will be very possible.

Bottom line is, is that there is alot of old generation fans that think tradition pulls kids to come play for them. Its just not the way it is anymore, otherwise you wouldn't see Oregon do as well as they do. Kids like flashy, shiny, material things. I work at a class c school here in Nebraska. There isn't much school pride, the football boys don't stick around to watch the volleyball team do well. Sure there is a select few, but in this day and age, its all about satisfying "me" not anyone else.

There isn't anything in Lincoln for these boys to do, no beaches, cold weather etc, "girls are marginal compared to other places". I heard that one from Phillip Dillard directly.

I agree that Nebraska is a top 5 - 7 football program, but in this day and age where, we can't get home grown beefy lineman because society has made kids soft. Even the farming kids aren't as tough as they once were.

Its my opinion, maybe and hopefully I'm wrong, but I use the evidence from my school I work at as my proof.

we can't afford to keep recruiting Nebraska kids and expect this program to improve. Bo has 2-3 years tops to get this team competitive.

secrecy and coachspeak for 2-3 more years will be quite enough for us all.......we lose what little talent we have at the end of this season.

+1

Bottom line is, is that there is alot of old generation fans that think tradition pulls kids to come play for them. Its just not the way it is anymore, otherwise you wouldn't see Oregon do as well as they do. Kids like flashy, shiny, material things. I work at a class c school here in Nebraska. There isn't much school pride, the football boys don't stick around to watch the volleyball team do well. Sure there is a select few, but in this day and age, its all about satisfying "me" not anyone else.

There isn't anything in Lincoln for these boys to do, no beaches, cold weather etc, "girls are marginal compared to other places". I heard that one from Phillip Dillard directly.

I agree that Nebraska is a top 5 - 7 football program, but in this day and age where, we can't get home grown beefy lineman because society has made kids soft. Even the farming kids aren't as tough as they once were.

Its my opinion, maybe and hopefully I'm wrong, but I use the evidence from my school I work at as my proof.

Prostitution is the oldest profession in the world, and bemoaning the state of "kids these days" has been one of the favorite hobbies of adults since ancient Mesopotamia. There is literally zero correlation between the current state of our society and the current state of the Nebraska football program. In my opinion, of course.

I understand what your saying but there may be pressure for Bo to look at Nebraska kids. Besides losing, some of the criticism for BC was recruiting the highly touted kids that didn't give everything they had nor did they care about NU tradition like a Nebraska kid would.

Well that settles it. We need hotter girls. I volunteer to be the hot girl recruiting coordinator. And I will do it for 90K annual salary. It's quite the bargain.

I pretty much agree with you, I just like to be a wise ass. I was also from a class C school and observed the same thing. It's probably even worse now. Football just isn't that big in our state from what I've seen and I watched a lot of different class A schools play after I got out of high school.

I understand what your saying but there may be pressure for Bo to look at Nebraska kids. Besides losing, some of the criticism for BC was recruiting the highly touted kids that didn't give everything they had nor did they care about NU tradition like a Nebraska kid would.

You need just enough Nebraska kids sprinkled in to bring the passion to the team. But you need an upgrade on the talent level at many positions.

In the B1G it would appear that Michigan is hugely on the rise and is going to soar to the top of the conference. Ohio State has all the talent, is young, and now has Urban Meyer. I'd think that for the immediate and the short-term foreseeable future (say the next 2-3 years anyway) that Michigan and Ohio State will pull away from the rest of the B1G and create a top-tier that the others will not approach. One of these two will win the conference every year in the foreseeable future.

Wisconsin and Michigan State lose a lot to graduation this year and will likely regress some. Neither will likely challenge the big two (OSU and Michigan) overly. Penn State and Nebraska are next in the pecking order and it is an unknown as to whether these two programs will catch up with Wisconsin or Michigan State.

I predict that the conference will soon be (starting next year) dominated by Michigan and Ohio State. Our victory over Ohio State this year will be the last one for a long, long, long time. What we saw at Michigan is what I think will become commonplace.

The Huskers will be fighting for positions between #3 and #5/#6 with Wisconsin, Michigan State (who may be heading down as Michigan once more ascends), Penn State and, perhaps Iowa.

I would not be surprised if, in say 2020, we look back and see the Huskers still w/o a conference championship. This year was likely the best shot we had... and it was somewhat a long-shot. The probability of a Husker conference championship in the B1G will be much, much lower in the future --- starting next year where Michigan and Ohio State pull away from the pack.

Interestingly, on ESPN last night when they discussed Meyer's going to the B1G, the question was "Will OSU now dominate the Conference?" The answer was likely not but that they would be favorites very soon... they mentioned, at length Michigan, mentioned Wisconsin, then talked of MSU and then PSU... no one... not one person mentioned Nebraska...

Ouch...

How in the hell was this the best shot when we were given the toughest schedule in the conference? Don't be so pessimistic....next year is already shaping up to be a better opportunity for the Huskers.

I agree with you to some extent, but I get tired of hearing the argument that kids today aren't as tough as kids ten years ago. Kids today are only bigger, faster, and stronger compared to kids ten years ago. Look at how far weight lifting, training, supplements, camps, etc are now compared to 10 years ago. I'm not saying this because I'm young, because I'm not. I just dont think your argument holds water when you really look at it.

Ouch...

How in the hell was this the best shot when we were given the toughest schedule in the conference? Don't be so pessimistic....next year is already shaping up to be a better opportunity for the Huskers.

Next year? You could make an argument for 2013 but how is next year going to get any easier? We lose David and Dennard. We have the same schedule and Michigan should clearly be the favorite based on who they are bringing back. Maybe your reasoning is just because we get Michigan and Wisky at home? Please elaborate.

Ouch...

Next year? You could make an argument for 2013 but how is next year going to get any easier? We lose David and Dennard. We have the same schedule and Michigan should clearly be the favorite based on who they are bringing back. Maybe your reasoning is just because we get Michigan and Wisky at home? Please elaborate.

You answered your own question....because we have them at home...that does give us a slight advantage. We may even be better in 2013 with how young the talent is on the team. Stay positive bro....how we lost BLOWS ASS! But with Pelini....I believe NEB is headed in the right direction....his record with us speaks volumes about what he can do, but also his weaknesses as a first time coach.