The Immediate and Short-term Future

robsker

If we go 10 wins this year....that puts NEB at 3 consecutive 10 win seasons.....only a handful of teams our currently doing that...

I post this comment a lot, but I am sick of people using the win total to justify Pelini's coaching. It's not about the number of wins, it's the losses and the nature of them. Losing to NW at HOME, blown out by Michigan and Wisconsin. Until we can consistently beat teams we should beat or hang with teams we are fully capable of hanging with, I am not satisfied.

I'm not calling for him to be fired, but it's not a black and white number of wins issue here. It's the inconsistency and inexplicable losses that have become Bo's calling card that have me concerned.

Consecutive 10 win seasons means consistency. That we will consistency be an above average squad. Sure, the losses suck, and they are every bit as important as the wins, I agree with you there.

But let's take a comparative approach here: take a look at Oklahoma. Most will argue that they are a more talented team overall than Nebraska. So let's take a look at their past 3 seasons [2009, 2010, and 2011]:

2009: 8-5 [Lost to an unranked Nebraska and an unranked Texas Tech]

2010: 12-2 [Lost to an unranked Texas A&M]

2011: 9-2 [Lost to an unranked Texas Tech at home]

It happens to everyone in college football. They lose games they shouldn't. But I am happy that Bo is able to consistently keep this program at the 9-10 win mark and can always hope that we will be able to take that next step forward to 11 and 12 win seasons.

If you would like another example, I give you Oklahoma State:

2009: 9-4 [Lost to an unranked Houston [OkSt was #5 at the time], an unranked Oklahoma [OkSt was #12 at the time], and an unranked Ole Miss [OkSt was #19 at the time]]

2010: 11-2 [Lost to Nebraska and Oklahoma, who were both ranked at the time, but they lost both of those at home]

2011: 10-1 [Lost to unranked Iowa State [they were #2 at the time]]

If we go 10 wins this year....that puts NEB at 3 consecutive 10 win seasons.....only a handful of teams our currently doing that...

I post this comment a lot, but I am sick of people using the win total to justify Pelini's coaching. It's not about the number of wins, it's the losses and the nature of them. Losing to NW at HOME, blown out by Michigan and Wisconsin. Until we can consistently beat teams we should beat or hang with teams we are fully capable of hanging with, I am not satisfied.

I'm not calling for him to be fired, but it's not a black and white number of wins issue here. It's the inconsistency and inexplicable losses that have become Bo's calling card that have me concerned.

I hate how we lost also man....but it doesn't mean we're going to lose like that next year....go look at OU and how they come back after getting pummeled one year and losing 3 to 4 games in a season....then the next year they go 10-1 or 9-2 and take a conference championship...NEB isn't OU...but teams do it and I am just providing an example.

But we probably will lose a game like that next year. Look at Bo's track record. ISU 2009, TxTech 2009, Washington 2010 (bowl) , SDSU near debacle last year, etc.

If you factor in the early 3-4 cupcake games every season (not so much this year, but still Tenn-Chatt and Wyoming.....), 10 wins is not that impressive.

Quite correct. People try to compare the 10-win seasons of today with what was done in the 80's and 90's. But... in the 80's and 90's those were 11 and sometimes 12 game seasons. They are now 12-or 13 game seasons (sometimes 14 games) --- that is huge! Plus, as you point out, NU has 2-3 absolute gimmes in the "pre-season"

Really, if you want to look at a realistic measure of record, what have the conference + bowl game records been under Bo? I have no time to look it up, but under Bo I'd guess that NU is winning 60-65% of those games. That is.... OK. It is.... well, upper middle of the pack in conference. Nothing that wins conferences --- or really even competes for winning conferences.

Those who spout the "10 win thing" are reaching some, it would seem. And, by the way... for this year to get that NU must beat both Iowa (no small task) and win a bowl game... so a 10 win season is by no means a lock this year.

I hate how we lost also man....but it doesn't mean we're going to lose like that next year....go look at OU and how they come back after getting pummeled one year and losing 3 to 4 games in a season....then the next year they go 10-1 or 9-2 and take a conference championship...NEB isn't OU...but teams do it and I am just providing an example.

But we probably will lose a game like that next year. Look at Bo's track record. ISU 2009, TxTech 2009, Washington 2010 (bowl) , SDSU near debacle last year, etc.

If you factor in the early 3-4 cupcake games every season (not so much this year, but still Tenn-Chatt and Wyoming.....), 10 wins is not that impressive.

Then neither is 11.

Consecutive 10 win seasons means consistency. That we will consistency be an above average squad. Sure, the losses suck, and they are every bit as important as the wins, I agree with you there.

But let's take a comparative approach here: take a look at Oklahoma. Most will argue that they are a more talented team overall than Nebraska. So let's take a look at their past 3 seasons [2009, 2010, and 2011]:

2009: 8-5 [Lost to an unranked Nebraska and an unranked Texas Tech]

2010: 12-2 [Lost to an unranked Texas A&M]

2011: 9-2 [Lost to an unranked Texas Tech at home]

It happens to everyone in college football. They lose games they shouldn't. But I am happy that Bo is able to consistently keep this program at the 9-10 win mark and can always hope that we will be able to take that next step forward to 11 and 12 win seasons.

If you would like another example, I give you Oklahoma State:

2009: 9-4 [Lost to an unranked Houston [OkSt was #5 at the time], an unranked Oklahoma [OkSt was #12 at the time], and an unranked Ole Miss [OkSt was #19 at the time]]

2010: 11-2 [Lost to Nebraska and Oklahoma, who were both ranked at the time, but they lost both of those at home]

2011: 10-1 [Lost to unranked Iowa State [they were #2 at the time]]

good observations. almost EVERY team year in and year out will typically lose 1 to even 2-3 games a season that they shouldn't lose if you compare...

Quite correct. People try to compare the 10-win seasons of today with what was done in the 80's and 90's. But... in the 80's and 90's those were 11 and sometimes 12 game seasons. They are now 12-or 13 game seasons (sometimes 14 games) --- that is huge! Plus, as you point out, NU has 2-3 absolute gimmes in the "pre-season"

Really, if you want to look at a realistic measure of record, what have the conference + bowl game records been under Bo? I have no time to look it up, but under Bo I'd guess that NU is winning 60-65% of those games. That is.... OK. It is.... well, upper middle of the pack in conference. Nothing that wins conferences --- or really even competes for winning conferences.

Those who spout the "10 win thing" are reaching some, it would seem. And, by the way... for this year to get that NU must beat both Iowa (no small task) and win a bowl game... so a 10 win season is by no means a lock this year.

Bo has a 68% winning record in conference games. And is 3-1 in bowl games.

Once again....first time head coach...that's impressive. Compare him to Les Miles first years as a head coach and even Nick Saban....Bo is producing better than they did in their first years as a head coach.

thanks.

That record is not bad. Not great. But not bad.

thanks.

That record is not bad. Not great. But not bad.

I do concur

I am concerned about our recruiting. I really am not a recruiting guru, but I was looking through the kids and I really didn't see a stand out. Maybe feb signing day will bring the big fish around. The problem with us as fans we are hanging onto the 90s. We really aren't, and haven't been, nationally relevent since 99. Don't get wrong, I love my Huskers but it's just the truth. It seems like we went through a patch where we had the athletes, but not the coaches. Now I think we have the coaches, but not the athletes. I really need to understand recruiting better

Bottom line is, is that there is alot of old generation fans that think tradition pulls kids to come play for them. Its just not the way it is anymore, otherwise you wouldn't see Oregon do as well as they do. Kids like flashy, shiny, material things. I work at a class c school here in Nebraska. There isn't much school pride, the football boys don't stick around to watch the volleyball team do well. Sure there is a select few, but in this day and age, its all about satisfying "me" not anyone else.

There isn't anything in Lincoln for these boys to do, no beaches, cold weather etc, "girls are marginal compared to other places". I heard that one from Phillip Dillard directly.

I agree that Nebraska is a top 5 - 7 football program, but in this day and age where, we can't get home grown beefy lineman because society has made kids soft. Even the farming kids aren't as tough as they once were.

Its my opinion, maybe and hopefully I'm wrong, but I use the evidence from my school I work at as my proof.

I agree with you to some extent, but I get tired of hearing the argument that kids today aren't as tough as kids ten years ago. Kids today are only bigger, faster, and stronger compared to kids ten years ago. Look at how far weight lifting, training, supplements, camps, etc are now compared to 10 years ago. I'm not saying this because I'm young, because I'm not. I just dont think your argument holds water when you really look at it.

Bigger, faster, stronger yes. But toughness isn't something you gain in a weight room or with training or supplements. Toughness is more about heart and will power. It's not being a pu&&y and playing when hurt(as long as not a detriment to the team), it's the never give up and show some pride no matter how bad things are!

Kids these days act like they just don't care about losses it seems. I would like to see coaches and players say that a loss really hurt and they are going to look at things they did wrong to make sure they never happen again instead of the 'ol it was a loss and we have to move on and prepare for the next game.

And finally, I would like to blame all this on the softy parents. Thanks to all of you who came up with the great idea of not keeping score because it doesn't matter who wins or loses. Guess what? This type of mentality is seeping into these kids and they are becoming WAY TOO TOLERANT OF LOSING. It's a disgrace! Kids these days just don't have the pride and fire it takes to be your best everyday and to not accept failure!

I don't necessarily believe it is recruiting....you develop talent.....go look at Florida St or even Texas right now.....especially FSU.

FSU has come in the top 5 and top 10 in recruiting the past 10 years...what have they got to show for it? JACK!

What alarms me....is how Ohio St. for example...lands so many top 4 to 5 star recruits....if I'm not mistaken, their whole o-line this year was full of 4 to 5 star offensive lineman...that is ridiculous. However....NEB did recruit one of the best offensive line groups in the nation last year.

I am concerned about our recruiting. I really am not a recruiting guru, but I was looking through the kids and I really didn't see a stand out. Maybe feb signing day will bring the big fish around. The problem with us as fans we are hanging onto the 90s. We really aren't, and haven't been, nationally relevent since 99. Don't get wrong, I love my Huskers but it's just the truth. It seems like we went through a patch where we had the athletes, but not the coaches. Now I think we have the coaches, but not the athletes. I really need to understand recruiting better

We have the athletes, or at least some of them, they just don't see the field.

Bottom line is, is that there is alot of old generation fans that think tradition pulls kids to come play for them. Its just not the way it is anymore, otherwise you wouldn't see Oregon do as well as they do. Kids like flashy, shiny, material things. I work at a class c school here in Nebraska. There isn't much school pride, the football boys don't stick around to watch the volleyball team do well. Sure there is a select few, but in this day and age, its all about satisfying "me" not anyone else.

There isn't anything in Lincoln for these boys to do, no beaches, cold weather etc, "girls are marginal compared to other places". I heard that one from Phillip Dillard directly.

I agree that Nebraska is a top 5 - 7 football program, but in this day and age where, we can't get home grown beefy lineman because society has made kids soft. Even the farming kids aren't as tough as they once were.

Its my opinion, maybe and hopefully I'm wrong, but I use the evidence from my school I work at as my proof.

I agree with you to some extent, but I get tired of hearing the argument that kids today aren't as tough as kids ten years ago. Kids today are only bigger, faster, and stronger compared to kids ten years ago. Look at how far weight lifting, training, supplements, camps, etc are now compared to 10 years ago. I'm not saying this because I'm young, because I'm not. I just dont think your argument holds water when you really look at it.

Bigger, faster, stronger yes. But toughness isn't something you gain in a weight room or with training or supplements. Toughness is more about heart and will power. It's not being a pu&&y and playing when hurt(as long as not a detriment to the team), it's the never give up and show some pride no matter how bad things are!

Kids these days act like they just don't care about losses it seems. I would like to see coaches and players say that a loss really hurt and they are going to look at things they did wrong to make sure they never happen again instead of the 'ol it was a loss and we have to move on and prepare for the next game.

And finally, I would like to blame all this on the softy parents. Thanks to all of you who came up with the great idea of not keeping score because it doesn't matter who wins or loses. Guess what? This type of mentality is seeping into these kids and they are becoming WAY TOO TOLERANT OF LOSING. It's a disgrace! Kids these days just don't have the pride and fire it takes to be your best everyday and to not accept failure!

Yeah...society has changed it's view on sports....taken the competitive edge out of some youth....I don't like it..

We have the athletes, or at least some of them, they just don't see the field.

Yep...some don't see the field...for reasons I do not know....off the field violations? Grades? Bo Pelini is trying to take young boys and turn them into men. In some instances I think this is a great philosophy....and at other times, it can really backfire on you.

Interesting. I think we have the athletes to be quite a bit better than NU is now --- not good enough athletes to be a regular BCS team, but good enough to be occasionally a BCS team (something NU has not even actually approached) or, at least be on the bubble for a BCS game. What I am thoroughly convinced of is that we do not have the coaches to motivate the players to play and to teach fundamentals. The outside observer would certainly see how this team plays and conclude that the coaching is just not even remotely getting it done --- the team is far too often flat, non-physical, fundamentally lacking, and playing w/o passion. That is... coaching.

NU is one of the nations biggest under achievers. Again, coaching.

Those concerned with recruiting may be quite justified in that concern.