The Immediate and Short-term Future

robsker

I am concerned about our recruiting. I really am not a recruiting guru, but I was looking through the kids and I really didn't see a stand out. Maybe feb signing day will bring the big fish around. The problem with us as fans we are hanging onto the 90s. We really aren't, and haven't been, nationally relevent since 99. Don't get wrong, I love my Huskers but it's just the truth. It seems like we went through a patch where we had the athletes, but not the coaches. Now I think we have the coaches, but not the athletes. I really need to understand recruiting better

Interesting. I think we have the athletes to be quite a bit better than NU is now --- not good enough athletes to be a regular BCS team, but good enough to be occasionally a BCS team (something NU has not even actually approached) or, at least be on the bubble for a BCS game. What I am thoroughly convinced of is that we do not have the coaches to motivate the players to play and to teach fundamentals. The outside observer would certainly see how this team plays and conclude that the coaching is just not even remotely getting it done --- the team is far too often flat, non-physical, fundamentally lacking, and playing w/o passion. That is... coaching.

NU is one of the nations biggest under achievers. Again, coaching.

Those concerned with recruiting may be quite justified in that concern.

So what is your solution? Fire the lot of them? Start over from scratch? Be careful what you wish for.

Comments about kids not wanting to win, soft is possibly close, but I do not understand how Bama, LSU, Arkansas, Auburn, it appears Michigan and Northwestern find them.

But the problem is not the kids, in my opinion it is the staff. Not well trained, not organized, no real motivational skills, I think motivate by fear rather than character, no rewarding system for good play, no drawbacks for poor play, IE set the bench and let 2nd,3rd or 4th string play, to instill the drive to be the best.

I really do not want to see a coaching change, the fallout would not be worth the hoped improvement. But Bo needs to figure out how to do the job he was hired for. He needs to change his attitude about the fans/media and overall demeanor. I think the kids are coached with fear as the motivator, we all have seen the looks he gives refs and players. Those initially are intimidating, but after they have had them over and over and over, lose their affect. You can only get your ass chewed so many times and it just starts to bounce off. Do not know if that is the case, but it seems possible.

I have said a lot of the same things robsker is saying, we actually see things pretty much the same on most situations. I truly hope he is wrong on this, but do not have a lot of faith that he isn't.

I see a much worse team next year on the defensive side of the ball. We had 3 supposed All Americans on the defense this year, we pretty much sucked when they were all in and they all leave.

All you have to do is look at Michigan to see what good coaching can accomplish. They were ready to play, and my guess they will be ready to play the rest of their games. Although this was a red letter day for them. A lot of hate over 97, that was most likely used as motivation on the Michigan side, but doubtful on our side.

Bo is more of a NFL coach than college. He fails to see the importance of each and every game I think. Does not use our history/tradition to the teams benefit.

I still see us losing the last two games, unless we draw South Carolina, we have a chance there. I actually feel worse now than when we had Clownahan, because we have been trying to reach the top but just never get it done and then seem to decline towards the end of the season.

I think we are very luck to have some of the wins we have, Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan State could have been very different, we lucked out in two and the other team was worn out by the time they played us. I think the next year will tell what we are and where we are headed. But right now that does not look good.

I am concerned about our recruiting. I really am not a recruiting guru, but I was looking through the kids and I really didn't see a stand out. Maybe feb signing day will bring the big fish around. The problem with us as fans we are hanging onto the 90s. We really aren't, and haven't been, nationally relevent since 99. Don't get wrong, I love my Huskers but it's just the truth. It seems like we went through a patch where we had the athletes, but not the coaches. Now I think we have the coaches, but not the athletes. I really need to understand recruiting better

Interesting. I think we have the athletes to be quite a bit better than NU is now --- not good enough athletes to be a regular BCS team, but good enough to be occasionally a BCS team (something NU has not even actually approached) or, at least be on the bubble for a BCS game. What I am thoroughly convinced of is that we do not have the coaches to motivate the players to play and to teach fundamentals. The outside observer would certainly see how this team plays and conclude that the coaching is just not even remotely getting it done --- the team is far too often flat, non-physical, fundamentally lacking, and playing w/o passion. That is... coaching.

Huh? We were 1 second from the BCS in 2009. Up 17 points in regards the BCS in 2010 - missed by a field goal. I'd say we've been closer than any othe team to the BCS the last 2 season...which is why this one seems like more of a let down that any of the last 3 years...we aren't anywhere close in 2011.

If we go 10 wins this year....that puts NEB at 3 consecutive 10 win seasons.....only a handful of teams our currently doing that...

I post this comment a lot, but I am sick of people using the win total to justify Pelini's coaching. It's not about the number of wins, it's the losses and the nature of them. Losing to NW at HOME, blown out by Michigan and Wisconsin. Until we can consistently beat teams we should beat or hang with teams we are fully capable of hanging with, I am not satisfied.

I'm not calling for him to be fired, but it's not a black and white number of wins issue here. It's the inconsistency and inexplicable losses that have become Bo's calling card that have me concerned.

I hate how we lost also man....but it doesn't mean we're going to lose like that next year....go look at OU and how they come back after getting pummeled one year and losing 3 to 4 games in a season....then the next year they go 10-1 or 9-2 and take a conference championship...NEB isn't OU...but teams do it and I am just providing an example.

But we probably will lose a game like that next year. Look at Bo's track record. ISU 2009, TxTech 2009, Washington 2010 (bowl) , SDSU near debacle last year, etc.

If you factor in the early 3-4 cupcake games every season (not so much this year, but still Tenn-Chatt and Wyoming.....), 10 wins is not that impressive.

Quite correct. People try to compare the 10-win seasons of today with what was done in the 80's and 90's. But... in the 80's and 90's those were 11 and sometimes 12 game seasons. They are now 12-or 13 game seasons (sometimes 14 games) --- that is huge! Plus, as you point out, NU has 2-3 absolute gimmes in the "pre-season"

Really, if you want to look at a realistic measure of record, what have the conference + bowl game records been under Bo? I have no time to look it up, but under Bo I'd guess that NU is winning 60-65% of those games. That is.... OK. It is.... well, upper middle of the pack in conference. Nothing that wins conferences --- or really even competes for winning conferences.

Those who spout the "10 win thing" are reaching some, it would seem. And, by the way... for this year to get that NU must beat both Iowa (no small task) and win a bowl game... so a 10 win season is by no means a lock this year.

You also didn't have the scholarship limitations in those years that limited your depth chart if you missed on a few guys or injuries plagued you. We kept kids from going to our rivals by giving them a scholarship. They would come to NU and be on a championship team rather than go to KU where they could play right away. Different times are very different both ways.

Its also slightly ironic that we beat 2 of the teams you consider to be the top 4 of the league. MSU had its best team in years and will lose their best QB in the past 2 decades. Their last 4 years is their dynasty and I'll be shocked if they win 7 games next year. OSU was down this year, but they still had talent. Michigan was now where near down this year. Nearly every person close to the program knew what they lacked last year was a defense and Richrod had a new one pegged to change that. I would guess they would be right where they are if not better on offense. Most every booster has stated he was just 1 year away from fielding a NC caliber team. RichRods problem was he pissed off the wrong guy and was sold out by Llyod Car the day he was hired.

Wiscy will always be solid but without Wilson this year they were in trouble. They had no QB and they even injured that guy in practice. They would have probably been a 7-5 or 8-4 type team at best. I'll put them at that record next year unless they find a Juco QB or recruit a guy who's all world. Even then they lose a mostly Sr offensive line. They're going to struggle.

Right now . . .I'd say next year's B10 race will be Nebraska's to lose. We're going to have a 3rd year QB and a very good back up in JT or Carnes. We'll have a solid team of RB's, WR's and O-line coming back. We need to find a center and a guard. On defense we'll be better off as we'll be in year two of a new scheme and we've got a good line on a couple of juco fill ins. Charles Jackson will start in the back field. We need to find 2 LBs or for Whaley to keep his grades up.

Our most challenging B10 games next year are at home in PSU (who should be down) and Michigan. I would say the winner of the NU vs MU game will take the B10.

• Fire 1

So what is your solution? Fire the lot of them? Start over from scratch? Be careful what you wish for.

He doesn't have a clue about coaching. He's living in a make believe world of talking heads on the radio who if they had any idea how to coach would be trying to do it. Bo's name will continue to come up during big school searches over the next few years. But thats pretty common with crappy coaches.

If we go 10 wins this year....that puts NEB at 3 consecutive 10 win seasons.....only a handful of teams our currently doing that...

I post this comment a lot, but I am sick of people using the win total to justify Pelini's coaching. It's not about the number of wins, it's the losses and the nature of them. Losing to NW at HOME, blown out by Michigan and Wisconsin. Until we can consistently beat teams we should beat or hang with teams we are fully capable of hanging with, I am not satisfied.

I'm not calling for him to be fired, but it's not a black and white number of wins issue here. It's the inconsistency and inexplicable losses that have become Bo's calling card that have me concerned.

I hate how we lost also man....but it doesn't mean we're going to lose like that next year....go look at OU and how they come back after getting pummeled one year and losing 3 to 4 games in a season....then the next year they go 10-1 or 9-2 and take a conference championship...NEB isn't OU...but teams do it and I am just providing an example.

But we probably will lose a game like that next year. Look at Bo's track record. ISU 2009, TxTech 2009, Washington 2010 (bowl) , SDSU near debacle last year, etc.

If you factor in the early 3-4 cupcake games every season (not so much this year, but still Tenn-Chatt and Wyoming.....), 10 wins is not that impressive.

Quite correct. People try to compare the 10-win seasons of today with what was done in the 80's and 90's. But... in the 80's and 90's those were 11 and sometimes 12 game seasons. They are now 12-or 13 game seasons (sometimes 14 games) --- that is huge! Plus, as you point out, NU has 2-3 absolute gimmes in the "pre-season"

Really, if you want to look at a realistic measure of record, what have the conference + bowl game records been under Bo? I have no time to look it up, but under Bo I'd guess that NU is winning 60-65% of those games. That is.... OK. It is.... well, upper middle of the pack in conference. Nothing that wins conferences --- or really even competes for winning conferences.

Those who spout the "10 win thing" are reaching some, it would seem. And, by the way... for this year to get that NU must beat both Iowa (no small task) and win a bowl game... so a 10 win season is by no means a lock this year.

You also didn't have the scholarship limitations in those years that limited your depth chart if you missed on a few guys or injuries plagued you. We kept kids from going to our rivals by giving them a scholarship. They would come to NU and be on a championship team rather than go to KU where they could play right away. Different times are very different both ways.

Its also slightly ironic that we beat 2 of the teams you consider to be the top 4 of the league. MSU had its best team in years and will lose their best QB in the past 2 decades. Their last 4 years is their dynasty and I'll be shocked if they win 7 games next year. OSU was down this year, but they still had talent. Michigan was now where near down this year. Nearly every person close to the program knew what they lacked last year was a defense and Richrod had a new one pegged to change that. I would guess they would be right where they are if not better on offense. Most every booster has stated he was just 1 year away from fielding a NC caliber team. RichRods problem was he pissed off the wrong guy and was sold out by Llyod Car the day he was hired.

Wiscy will always be solid but without Wilson this year they were in trouble. They had no QB and they even injured that guy in practice. They would have probably been a 7-5 or 8-4 type team at best. I'll put them at that record next year unless they find a Juco QB or recruit a guy who's all world. Even then they lose a mostly Sr offensive line. They're going to struggle.

Right now . . .I'd say next year's B10 race will be Nebraska's to lose. We're going to have a 3rd year QB and a very good back up in JT or Carnes. We'll have a solid team of RB's, WR's and O-line coming back. We need to find a center and a guard. On defense we'll be better off as we'll be in year two of a new scheme and we've got a good line on a couple of juco fill ins. Charles Jackson will start in the back field. We need to find 2 LBs or for Whaley to keep his grades up.

Our most challenging B10 games next year are at home in PSU (who should be down) and Michigan. I would say the winner of the NU vs MU game will take the B10.

You should post more often Skers, I always enjoy reading your thoughts on the program.

You should post more often Skers, I always enjoy reading your thoughts on the program.

I would but I'm obnoxious.

He doesn't have a clue about coaching. He's living in a make believe world of talking heads on the radio who if they had any idea how to coach would be trying to do it. Bo's name will continue to come up during big school searches over the next few years. But thats pretty common with crappy coaches.

Where has Bo's name come up thus far in a big school's search --- not counting what someone on this board postulates (that is, not counting people here wondering if Bo would go to Ohio State or wherever... that does not count --- it would count only if national-level people with actual behind-the-scenes info assert that he was seriously considered --- which he was not). Has Bo's name been a top contender for any coaching position at a big school thus far? If so, when? Where? You say continually.... that Bo has been considered continually by others. OK pony up --- where was he a top 3 candidate? A top 5 candidate? Anywhere?!! Has anyone pursued him?

Is that Whaley's problem?? He really can't keep his grades up with all the help?? Because when he was on the field in the Meechicken game he was a playmaker. He's fast and strong!! Are grades the reason he hasn't been on the field really???? Just guess I haven't heard anything about it.

Where has Bo's name come up thus far in a big school's search --- not counting what someone on this board postulates (that is, not counting people here wondering if Bo would go to Ohio State or wherever... that does not count --- it would count only if national-level people with actual behind-the-scenes info assert that he was seriously considered --- which he was not). Has Bo's name been a top contender for any coaching position at a big school thus far? If so, when? Where? You say continually.... that Bo has been considered continually by others. OK pony up --- where was he a top 3 candidate? A top 5 candidate? Anywhere?!! Has anyone pursued him?

Truthfully, I think the fact is that Bo is hurting himself. He was seen as a very up and coming coach when we hired him and was thought to be in high consideration for big programs after turning around Nebraska after a couple years. However, his attitude is absolutely killing him in the minds of ADs around the country. He is seen as a hot head, and starting to get the reputation for not being able to develop players, not being a motivator, and for not being humble enough to make changes to make things better and help his team compete. I would say in the last two years Bo's rep around football has taken a pretty big hit.

Last year he was offered Miami informally and at that time TO asked what it would take to stay here. I was very open about what he asked for and you see how many private planes he has at his disposal now. Harvey even gave his public support of Bo in the newspaper shortly there after. Thats why he's still here.

Not to mention he was also one of the first two people contacted for the Michigan job but he declined that very quickly and ATM contacted his agent to see if there was interest if Sherman left for the NFL. I also know a couple of LSU boosters who had him set if Miles had bolted LSU.

But hey. . .what do I know. Obviously nothing.

Truthfully, I think the fact is that Bo is hurting himself. He was seen as a very up and coming coach when we hired him and was thought to be in high consideration for big programs after turning around Nebraska after a couple years. However, his attitude is absolutely killing him in the minds of ADs around the country. He is seen as a hot head, and starting to get the reputation for not being able to develop players, not being a motivator, and for not being humble enough to make changes to make things better and help his team compete. I would say in the last two years Bo's rep around football has taken a pretty big hit.

Pretty much only in Nebraska where the fan base thinks a coach should be a choir boy.

I am going to guess that Skers will place you, like me, into that camp that "knows nothing about coaches."

Well, together we can wait for the evidence that Skers will present showing forth that Bo has been "continually" sought after by big-time programs for coaching positions.

For what it is worth, I agree with the entirety of your post.

This argument is getting pretty old. One side says we haven't even come close to BCS games which is absurd considering how the last two Big 12 Championship games went. The other side says Bo is doing much better when compared to Les Miles and Nick Saban which again is absurd unless we're all hoping Bo leaves our program like Miles and Saban did to actually become great. Unless we have a meltdown season where Bo loses the team much like BC did in 2007, there's absolutely zero reason for his dismissal.