Who will be hurting the most next season?

ladyhawke

My first thought is that we are in big, big trouble without that rolling ball of swag we call Fonzie. Followed by Lavonte, who is simply a bad dude.

Last time we lost players of this caliber...I can think only of Suh and Prince recently. Hagg & Gomes were big losses too that were really felt this year because they couldn't be replaced. Suh's loss has hurt us pretty big on a DL that has been hyped but has underwhelmed since his tour de dominance, even with as solid a player as Crick stepping in for him. Prince's loss was definitely felt in the secondary this year and it was a blow softened greatly by Alfonzo's presence. Maybe Andrew Green will grow into something - he is one player to keep an eye on.

But as of now, where our defense is poised to be next season is not a pretty thought to entertain. Guys will need to step up or we'll need to lean on some talent infusion that we may or may not have.

PSU seems poised for some turmoil (of course) and of the other teams, Wisconsin probably has the toughest pill to swallow. If they lose Cousins so does MSU, but I'm sure we'll destroy him like every other non-mobile QB. Ohio State seems very dangerous and on the up-and-up.

Losing Vonte and Fonzie is a terrifying thought. But it was much more scary about a month and a half ago. I think our defense will be ok. I think this year was a huge learning experience for Pelini. You can't just rely on your scheme, you have to drill home fundamentals all the time. I think Nebraska's defense started playing better fundamentally as the season wore on. They started playing better as a unit. CANNOT WAIT to see our offense next year. Those guys are gonna be good.

I think Wisconsin and Michigan State will be hurting more than we will be overall. OSU won't be hurting much at all, they'll most likely be better next year. And PSU... well I don't think they were all that good this year, just got the luxury of playing a cake schedule. They'll be a non-entity methinks.

I think this season was a wake up call for Bo. Each year he says " this years defense will be better than last years". I don't think he has the horses left over, to say that this year. This might be his toughest season coming up defensively, since he took over. It will be interesting to watch him mold this part of the team. This is one of the main reasons Tom hired him. If he is one of the top defesive minds in the country, [i think he is] no better time to prove it, than next year. These are all his recruits now.

GBR!!!

I like Michigan, Iowa and Nebraska in the Legends (not in any particular order at this point) because we return our starting QBs and the defenses should be solid, even though Denard will be back we lose a lot of starters on offense (2 OL, 2 of 3 WRs, TE) and lose our 3 best interior defensive linemen, everyone else in the back 7 returns though as well as our top DEs, plus the guy that may have been our best WR might be coming back next year (Hoke decided to suspend him this season because of a 2nd DUI), MSU will be breaking in a new QB and if Worthy comes back for his Sr. year they will probably have one of the best defenses (if not the best) in the conference and that will keep them in most games, I wouldn't count them out either if they don't ask too much of their young QB early in the season, I'd give Nebraska the inside track right now though...

I can only speak comfortably for Wisconsin but I'm really not that worried about how we're looking for next year.

Pull out some of the magazines that were released last spring...this was supposed to be our rebuilding year. We were supposed to finish a solid third and 2012 make a rebound. Outside of Ogelsby our O-Line will be fine. Don't believe me? Look at some of those freshman and sophomores on our roster. 6'7" thru 6'9" and all but one or two solidly +300lb. Behind them we'll still have some of the best RB's around...if Ball leaves bring in James White who's had nearly 700 yards and 6 TD's on mop up this year and had +1000 yards and 14 TD's last year when he was a freshman.

As far as Russell goes, hey it was nice having him but he can leave without too much apprehension. Can you guys name our QB last year without google? How about in 2006 when we went 12-1? Yea didn't think so. Our system uses smart, efficient game managers and Budamayr who will be a redshirt junior will be perfect. So yea not worried at all.

I'm going to miss Toon though...good thing Abbrederis is much better than where Toon was as a Sophomore.

How I see our season (probably too optimistic but hey)....

NIU

Or St.

USU

UTEP

NU (could be close)

Ill.

PU

U of M

MSU

IU

OSU (Toss up)

PSU (Toss up)

At the very worst I'm thinking a 8 or 9 win season but we'll see. Way too early to really say.

When we look at players returning to play on the various B1G teams next year, who will be hurting the most? What will Wiscy look like without Wilson and Nick Toon? Michigan State without BJ Cunningham? Ohio State/Penn State getting used to a new coach?

Nebraska without Dennard and David? What do you think?

Wisconsin, in losing Wilson.

I can only speak comfortably for Wisconsin but I'm really not that worried about how we're looking for next year.

Pull out some of the magazines that were released last spring...this was supposed to be our rebuilding year. We were supposed to finish a solid third and 2012 make a rebound. Outside of Ogelsby our O-Line will be fine. Don't believe me? Look at some of those freshman and sophomores on our roster. 6'7" thru 6'9" and all but one or two solidly +300lb. Behind them we'll still have some of the best RB's around...if Ball leaves bring in James White who's had nearly 700 yards and 6 TD's on mop up this year and had +1000 yards and 14 TD's last year when he was a freshman.

As far as Russell goes, hey it was nice having him but he can leave without too much apprehension. Can you guys name our QB last year without google? How about in 2006 when we went 12-1? Yea didn't think so. Our system uses smart, efficient game managers and Budamayr who will be a redshirt junior will be perfect. So yea not worried at all.

I'm going to miss Toon though...good thing Abbrederis is much better than where Toon was as a Sophomore.

NIU

Or St.

USU

UTEP

NU (could be close)

Ill.

PU

U of M

MSU

IU

OSU (Toss up)

PSU (Toss up)

At the very worst I'm thinking a 8 or 9 win season but we'll see. Way too early to really say.

I see 9 or 10 wins, the road games against Nebraska and PSU are the stumbling blocks imo, and potentially MSU and OSU at home...

NIU

Or St.

USU

UTEP

NU (could be close)

Ill.

PU

U of M

MSU

IU

OSU (Toss up)

PSU (Toss up)

You may think that the offense will keep chugging along without Wilson, and it will for the most part - but Wilson causes so much stress to opposing defenses with his legs, and that's not something a guy like Tolzien does. Nebraska would much, MUCH rather play against a guy like Tolzien, than against Russell Wilson. Playing against a guy like Tolzien feels more like playing against Kirk Cousins or James Vandenberg, and less like playing against Denard Robinson.

NIU

Or St.

USU

UTEP

NU (could be close)

Ill.

PU

U of M

MSU

IU

OSU (Toss up)

PSU (Toss up)

You may think that the offense will keep chugging along without Wilson, and it will for the most part - but Wilson causes so much stress to opposing defenses with his legs, and that's not something a guy like Tolzien does. Nebraska would much, MUCH rather play against a guy like Tolzien, than against Russell Wilson. Playing against a guy like Tolzien feels more like playing against Kirk Cousins or James Vandenberg, and less like playing against Denard Robinson.

I agree, Russell brings a nice dimension to the offense but judging by our schedule, style of play and what we bring back we should be alright. I get that NU would rather see a Tolzien than a Wilson, thats nice...but lucky for us we don't play NU 12 times a season, you guys aren't even in our division so I'm fine with having one game where we might struggle. I really doubt we'll be third in our division though, second maybe. Depends on some things with OSU.

Still way to early too tell...