Coaching carousel 2011

Nexus

@footballscoop reporting that Terry Bowden will be the next coach at Akron.

I could see Terry Bowden developing into a top level coach in the next few years. Again. Played D1 fb, wicked smart, great coaching lineage. This was an awesome get by the Zips. Don't see Terry staying more than a couple or three years though. Then again, perhaps he's fed up with dealing with Auburn-type boosters. He won't have that trouble at Akron.

Yeah...I always thought the way that whole Auburn thing went down was just weird. From the outside looking in, it would appear that Bowden's wheels kind of flew off there. But I think a lot of inside people would tell you that Auburn deal had a darker side to it. From everything I heard, they basically have one booster (Lowder) running the entire program and once Bowden got sideways with him, his fate was sealed. I didn't blame him for hanging it up after that. But now that he's back in the coaching mix, he should have a pretty fast track back into the BCS level teams...if he wants that. Good coach...good hire by Akron I think.

@footballscoop reporting that Terry Bowden will be the next coach at Akron.

I could see Terry Bowden developing into a top level coach in the next few years. Again. Played D1 fb, wicked smart, great coaching lineage. This was an awesome get by the Zips. Don't see Terry staying more than a couple or three years though. Then again, perhaps he's fed up with dealing with Auburn-type boosters. He won't have that trouble at Akron.

Yeah...I always thought the way that whole Auburn thing went down was just weird. From the outside looking in, it would appear that Bowden's wheels kind of flew off there. But I think a lot of inside people would tell you that Auburn deal had a darker side to it. From everything I heard, they basically have one booster (Lowder) running the entire program and once Bowden got sideways with him, his fate was sealed. I didn't blame him for hanging it up after that. But now that he's back in the coaching mix, he should have a pretty fast track back into the BCS level teams...if he wants that. Good coach...good hire by Akron I think.

I don't think him "hanging" it up was necessarily his choice or desire. I always felt he was desperate to get back into D-1 coaching, but there was some infamous "cloud" hanging over him that made him sort of untouchable for a while.

• 4 weeks later...

*bump*

Rivals article gives a good overview of all the coaching changes this year. But they really slammed Carl going to the Owls. Not sure why the slam. I can't imagine FAU being able to get anyone better than Carl.

LINK

New coach: Carl Pelini

Former job: Nebraska defensive coordinator

The buzz: While Pelini had the title of DC at Nebraska, it’s his brother’s defense. Plus, Pelini never has coached in the Southeast. His staff isn’t overly impressive, but there is a new on-campus stadium that just opened and FAU is in a recruiting hotbed.

More on Florida Atlantic: OwlsBurrow.com