Coaching carousel 2011

Nexus

Charlie Weis is the new coach at Kansas per @KUAthletics.

Wow.....................shareholders in area buffets must hold a LOT of sway with the athletic department...................

Are you sure he didn't misread: Weis to KFC?

From Pat Forde's Twitter:

After a two-year hiatus, Kansas football back to having a decided caloric advantage in the Big 12

Well that didn't take long... (waits till Po finds this thread... :snacks::moreinteresting )

One source said negative reaction from fans and boosters to the selection of Jones prompted the reversal.

Who is ASU holding out for?

I have a good friend who's an ASU booster and this is my take on all of it based on what he's told me...

ASU backed out of the Sumlin deal when aTm got involved as they were not willing to get into a bidding war which is where I think it was headed very quickly. I think this looked worse for ASU than it actually was...they simply just bowed out of the auction which is respectable. If I extend someone an offer and they start playing the "well...aTm is coming at me pretty hard - might need you to come up with some more money" game then I'd tell them just to have fun with aTm too.

That being said, it does sound like they have an "inmates running the asylum" problem when it comes to Jones. A couple of very vocal boosters (the vocal minority) were trying to push the Jones thing through so the AD went ahead with it feeling as though that's what the boosters wanted. Once the offer had been extended, the formerly quiet majority started becoming more vocal about their displeasure with the decision. So, literally before the details could be ironed out on the contract, enough boosters had pitched enough of a fit to overturn the decision created by those couple boosters trying to get it pushed through from the start. So the offer was pulled. Sounds like their AD needs to decide who's calling the shots around there.

As far as who they are holding out for, I don't think that's the issue nor can anyone really agree on one name. I don't think the June Jones decision had anything to do with who else they knew they wanted, but more to do with who they knew they didn't want...June Jones.

I'm just kinda at a loss for why they would be against Jones. The man has won big everywhere he's gone. And that kinda thing gets around, they may have a very hard time getting a good coach in. As dicey as coaching is, I would want to know who held the power, and that clearly sounds like its whatever boosters are currently making the most noise.

One source said negative reaction from fans and boosters to the selection of Jones prompted the reversal.

I have a good friend who's an ASU booster and this is my take on all of it based on what he's told me...

ASU backed out of the Sumlin deal when aTm got involved as they were not willing to get into a bidding war which is where I think it was headed very quickly. I think this looked worse for ASU than it actually was...they simply just bowed out of the auction which is respectable. If I extend someone an offer and they start playing the "well...aTm is coming at me pretty hard - might need you to come up with some more money" game then I'd tell them just to have fun with aTm too.

That being said, it does sound like they have an "inmates running the asylum" problem when it comes to Jones. A couple of very vocal boosters (the vocal minority) were trying to push the Jones thing through so the AD went ahead with it feeling as though that's what the boosters wanted. Once the offer had been extended, the formerly quiet majority started becoming more vocal about their displeasure with the decision. So, literally before the details could be ironed out on the contract, enough boosters had pitched enough of a fit to overturn the decision created by those couple boosters trying to get it pushed through from the start. So the offer was pulled. Sounds like their AD needs to decide who's calling the shots around there.

As far as who they are holding out for, I don't think that's the issue nor can anyone really agree on one name. I don't think the June Jones decision had anything to do with who else they knew they wanted, but more to do with who they knew they didn't want...June Jones.

I'm just kinda at a loss for why they would be against Jones. The man has won big everywhere he's gone. And that kinda thing gets around, they may have a very hard time getting a good coach in. As dicey as coaching is, I would want to know who held the power, and that clearly sounds like its whatever boosters are currently making the most noise.

Yeah, that was my response too. I thought Jones would be a pretty damn good hire for them. But my friend was in the camp that didn't want him...thinks they can do better. But I definitely agree it seems to be whichever wheel is squeaking the loudest is getting the grease. Probably works that way more than we know.

Hmm that's interesting. Thanks for the info.

According to Chris Foster from L.A. Times, Jim Mora, Jr. is the new coach at UCLA.

Mora is the first coach UCLA hired who has not been a Bruin assistant coach or player since Red Snaders in 1949.

LINK

Wow...what a yawner hire!!!

Maybe he'll provide some press conference gold like his father...

BCS GAME??? DON'T TALK ABOUT BCS GAME!!! YOU KIDDIN' ME?!?!?!

:D

According to @footballscoop Arkansas State has hired Gus Malzahn as their new head coach? :blink:

I don't understand why he would take a job there. He is currently one of the highest paid coordinators and turned down a job at Vandy last year which would lead me to believe he could land a better job then Arkansas State.

According to @footballscoop Arkansas State has hired Gus Malzahn as their new head coach? :blink:

I don't understand why he would take a job there. He is currently one of the highest paid coordinators and turned down a job at Vandy last year which would lead me to believe he could land a better job then Arkansas State.

There may be more to this that we don't know.