Football Scoop: KU fires Gill

Nexus

Even Kansas has standards. Unfortunately, I don't think this was the right time. I said in another thread that KU's 2011 and especially 2010 team were probably less talented than some of Gill's Buffalo teams.

I don't think we have a spot for him right now, and I have a feeling he wouldn't want to come back here as an assistant after not getting the HC job, but who knows. Crazier things have happened. My guess is he'll want a coordinating position somewhere, or he might take time off to evaluate things.

Tough way to go Gill. Didn't get much of a shot with his own recruits. I really can't stand the way college football has changed. Coaches don't get any time to bring their style, culture, or even develop and establish their own talent. Kind of shameful. Hell we have fans up here in Nebraska trying to shove another coach out the door prematurely. That said, I don't see where Turner would fit on this staff. I would only agree with giving him a look at QB coach if I felt like the option was a strong part of the future of this offense. I'm just not sure about that yet. I think Beck wants to open the passing game up more in the future once Taylor develops that part of his game more. Good luck to the man though. I don't know him personally, but TO respects him a lot, and so does everyone else who knows him, so I think he must be a pretty darn good guy.

Turner Gill inherited a BAD situation. They lost Todd Reesing, Kerry Meyer, Jake Sharp and Desmond Briscoe. Kansas knew what they were getting when they hired turner, a guy that can build a program....2 years is not enough time to build a program, especially at a place like Kansas. This just goes to show how much college football has changed, even during my lifetime. I could understand if he had won 2 games in year 4, but year 2? Give me a break, Kansas. Who are they going to find that's better? If they can pull in a Mike Leach, then maybe. I tend to think that they're going to go for Houston Nutt. I know that they were sweet on him a few years back and they were trying to lure him away from Ole Miss.

I could see Gil replacing Pelini. Laugh all you want, but, if Gil came back and took a coordinator roll and Pelini moved to the NFL in about 4 years, Gil could be the HC. I don't doubt that Gil can coach. He had a HORRIBLE team at Kansas in two of the Big 12's best seasons. I'd be happy to bring him back as the QB coach. I'm not saying I am propping him up to become head coach, but, if TO is still around in 4 years (and Pelini moves on) Gil wouldn't be out of the question. Hey, Bill Belichick sucked when he coached Cleveland, and he didn't turn out too bad.