Football Scoop: KU fires Gill

Nexus

Leech @ KU will be a disaster in the short run...yes he's a proven coach, but the guy is the antithesis of Gill. Mangino left the cupboard empty because he's a certified a-hole that was not well liked by the players. So...they fire a guy who had a tough run with little talent on hand, but had two good recruit classes, and buy his contract out to hire another guy with a history of rough handling. Not the woodshed invention, but Leech did frequently go off on the players with "colorful" language and threaten consequences for poor play beyond losing snaps. How are Gill's recruits going to respond to a Leech hire? I just feel sorry for KU fans that put any hope in immediate salvation. And that $6 million KU loses is real money that's gota come from somewhere, probably beyond wringing out the athletic department like they did to fire Mangino and hire Gill. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Turner Gil would be a nice addition to the coaching staff. But it really comes down to if Bo wants him on the staff and if Turner wants to go from being a HC at Buffalo and Kansas to coaching the QB's or something.

As nice and as much sense this would make, i don't see it happening.

I give it a 12% chance of Turner Gil coming to Nebraska.

Kansas has been crappy for like 100 years. With only a handful of decent seasons during all that time. So Gill gets two years and out. WTF?? I lost a lot of respect for KU over this. I can't imagine them ever having a decent football program. Screw the Jayhawks.

obviously i am no fan of kansas. But lets get real here. Gill did a poor job. Yes ku is not set up to win at football, but niether is ISU. But Paul Rhodes can coach. Infact he is a darn good coach. Gill...not so much. Look at the facts here.

Gills record at KU: 5-19 (.263)

Big 12 record: 1-16 (.062)

His one big 12 win consisted of a 35 pt 4th quarter to finish a 28 pt comeback against a piss poor CU team that was 2-6 in conference.

He lost to a 1-AA team

His avg margin of victory was 11.4 pts. Take out a 26pt win over NM State in 2010 and 18 pts over 1-AA Mcneese St. and that margin of victory is 4.3 pts

On the other hand his avg margin of defeat is 27.36 pts per. (28.56 in conference play)

Ku ranks last or next to last in 19 of 26 catagories in big12 conference stats.

They suck. They are not well coached. They get blown out. And they have done so for 2 straight years (24 games) will little to no improvement in any area of their team.

Frankly I think Gill gets out of this okay. He had little to no business getting a BCS job to begin with and then he got 2 million a year out of ku like he had actually done something to deserve that kind of contract. His 2008 Bulls team was a walking fluke. Nothing statistacally about that team was great. And for those that actually watched their games know what I am talking about. That team got EVERY possible bounce that season. They got lucky more than any team I can even recall. They were a decent MAC team, which is not saying much because the MAC hasnt been very good for a little while now. For example, his 2008 team scored 30.3 pts a game. But gave up 28.2pts a game. How did they win?? Well that is because they were +20 on turnovers. +20!! They fell on 26 fumbles and recovered fumbles at a rate of 66.67% Thats freak. There is nothing that is more 50/50 than a fumble, if anything the fumbling team has the advantage cause they ussually can fall back on the ball as any NE fan is aware of as much as your team has put the ball on the ground the last 2 years. But Gill's team got 2/3rds of of the balls his opponents fumbled that year. It was a fluke season that was the only winning season he ever had.

Point blank, Gill was a mistake hire, he desearved to get fired and he is rich because ku game him a stupid contract.

Had Mangino not been fired for his antics and given a few more years he might have been fired for his record. TG just happened to be the guy to follow the best the program had at that time. Despite Mangino's 5-7 final season he was still a god to KU football. Anyone walking in their now should be ok for a few years. You can only go up from here...

Didn't see Fro's comment....

I agree with most but to say the championship season in Buffalo was a fluke is not accurate. I mean what happened in Buffalo may very well be the lucky bounce all season but it still happened and those kids did play tough and kept a lot of games close. What he did with that paltry program was a credit to him and his staff. Gill will get another shot and I'll be anxious to see how it turns out. KU just might have been the wrong job at the wrong time for him.

Turner Gill inherited a BAD situation. They lost Todd Reesing, Kerry Meyer, Jake Sharp and Desmond Briscoe. Kansas knew what they were getting when they hired turner, a guy that can build a program....2 years is not enough time to build a program, especially at a place like Kansas. This just goes to show how much college football has changed, even during my lifetime. I could understand if he had won 2 games in year 4, but year 2? Give me a break, Kansas. Who are they going to find that's better? If they can pull in a Mike Leach, then maybe. I tend to think that they're going to go for Houston Nutt. I know that they were sweet on him a few years back and they were trying to lure him away from Ole Miss.

And many people forget that Mangino's last team with Meier, Reesing, Briscoe, and Sharp finished 5-7. Kansas football is terrible. They have about 4 starters right now who are Big 12 quality starters.

Gill finished 5-19 @ Kansas. If history is kind to him, with the ol' transitive property logic applied, he'll win a national title really soon at his next destination.

I present to you, exhibit A:

Gene Chizik.

Chizik went 5-19 @ Iowa State before taking the Auburn job. He's now 29-10 @ Auburn.