Is Bo a Top-10 coach?

NUance

If you have to win a CC, BCS game, or NC to make the top 10 list, within 4 years, then the OP's posted list just got even shorter and not by only Bo.

There is nobody on that list who I would rather have right now instead of Bo. A lot of that has to do with simply not wanting ANY big program changes made because of the detrimental effect of change but plenty of it has to do with thinking Bo will get us there. I don't care what number rank people want to put on Bo, he's our coach so he's number 1 in my book. People complain about his demeanor and treatment of the media but those same people and that same media behave in ways that fuel that same demeanor issue. Give the guy some friggin support. We're 9-3 our first year in a new conference and we'll be playing in one of the better non-BCS bowls against a very good opponent. I have some concerns but nothing approaching the seismic change some people seem to be clamoring for. It really is quite sad. It's as if many people are totally incapable of learning anything from the past. Learn from the amount of time Tom was given and what that allowed to develope. Learn what our program looked like when Frank was fired. And for Godsakes learn what happened with the acquisition of Clownahan. If you can't grasp that then, IMO, you're too stupid to be a Husker fan. :rant

I love this post! If you really want to know what Husker Football is all about, go to the Scott Frost thread and read what he had to say back in 2005 when we were 2 years into the BC years. It's a very moving piece and it is so true! Nebraska has never been about 5 star recruits and winning every trophy on the planet. Nebraska Football is the development of young men for life. Building character and integrity is way more important than winning. Bo can take us there.

I support Bo and understand the difficulties of recruiting to Lincoln. But -

Has NU under Bo won one game in which they were the underdog? I see a lot of Coach's names on the list at the beginning of this post where their teams consistantly show up and win the big games - games they were not expected to win - so far we have not won that big game. Close but no cigar!

"If you can do it, it ain't braggin!"

RiverRunner

In all of college football

Nick Saban

Les Miles

Chris Petersen

Bob Stoops

Chip Kelly

Urban Meyer

Mike Gundy

Gary Patterson

Bobby Petrino

Brett Bielema

would all be ahead of Bo at this point.

I would agree with everyone on that list except Bobby Petrino. I don't think he's a top 10 coach. He has one of the most talent rich teams in the nation, yet has done nothing in four seasons.

Nick Saban

Les Miles

Chris Petersen

Bob Stoops

Chip Kelly

Urban Meyer

Mike Gundy

Gary Patterson

Bobby Petrino

Brett Bielema

I would agree with everyone on that list except Bobby Petrino. I don't think he's a top 10 coach. He has one of the most talent rich teams in the nation, yet has done nothing in four seasons.

Bielema isn't top ten....I'm a cynic I know but we've yet to get a bowl win that really felt satisfying to me

I support Bo and understand the difficulties of recruiting to Lincoln. But -

Has NU under Bo won one game in which they were the underdog? I see a lot of Coach's names on the list at the beginning of this post where their teams consistantly show up and win the big games - games they were not expected to win - so far we have not won that big game. Close but no cigar!

"If you can do it, it ain't braggin!"

RiverRunner

2008: Clemson vs. Nebraska

2009: Oklahoma vs. Nebraska

2009: Texas vs. Nebraska

Not a great list, but it's a start.

Nick Saban

Les Miles

Chris Petersen

Bob Stoops

Chip Kelly

Urban Meyer

Mike Gundy

Gary Patterson

Bobby Petrino

Brett Bielema

Bielema isn't top ten....I'm a cynic I know but we've yet to get a bowl win that really felt satisfying to me

From an outsider's perspective, I'd put Bielema in the top 10 because he doesn't have the greatest amount of talent around him, yet he has done quite a lot with it.

as of 2010- Salaries, years as FBS Coach and Highest accomplishment

$5.17, Nick Saban, Alabama, 15, two national championships

$5.10, Mack Brown, Texas, 26, one national championship

$4.53, Bob Stoops, Oklahoma, 12, one national championship

$4.00, Lane Kiffin, USC, 2, 15-11 career record

$3.78, Kirk Ferentz, Iowa, 12, four top-10 seasons

$3.75, Les Miles, LSU, 10, one national championship

$3.65, Jim Tressel, Ohio State, 10, one national championship

$3.56, Bobby Petrino, Arkansas, 7, two top-10 seasons

$2.94, Jim Grobe, Wake Forest, 16, one ACC championship

$2.81, Mark Richt, Georgia, 10, six top-10 seasons

$2.80, Steve Spurrier, S. Carolina, 21, one national championship

$2.80, Chip Kelly, Oregon, 2, BCS title game appearance

$2.78, Bo Pelini, Nebraska, 3, two Big 12 title game appearances

$2.75, Jimbo Fisher, Florida St., 1, one ACC title game appearance

$2.75, Will Muschamp, Florida, 0,

$2.55, Gary Pinkel, Missouri, 20, one top-5 season

$2.50, Bret Bielema, Wisconsin, 5, two top-10 seasons

$2.50, Houston Nutt, Mississippi, 14, two SEC title game appearances

$2.44, Paul Johnson, Georgia Tech, 9, one ACC championship

$2.30, Jeff Tedford, California, 9, one top-10 season

Holy Crap Cal pays Tedford that much? No wonder they're all so mad.....

Why do these threads continue............... :facepalm:

WTF? You mean threads pointing out that there are only a handful of active coaches with better winning stats than Pelini? Fine. Instead of talking about anything remotely football related let’s all just sit around during the offseason singing kumbaya and discussing whether we should embroider the player names on their jerseys in a curly-cue font. Sheesh.

I thought originally this thread was headed towards putting Bo in a negative light and god knows we've had enough of those around here lately. When the thread title is "Is Bo a Top-10 coach?" It immediately makes you think, great another negative thread. Sorry for jumping to conclusions.............

Nick Saban

Les Miles

Chris Petersen

Bob Stoops

Chip Kelly

Urban Meyer

Mike Gundy

Gary Patterson

Bobby Petrino

Brett Bielema

From an outsider's perspective, I'd put Bielema in the top 10 because he doesn't have the greatest amount of talent around him, yet he has done quite a lot with it.

Russel Wilson and Monte Ball, that 305-lb averaging O-line? No talent there, no sir. Bielema has had a lot more talent than we have had in the last couple years.

Les Miles

Nick Saban

Mack Brown

Urban Meyer

Chris Petersen

Chip Kelly

Gary Patterson

Frank Beamer

Bob Stoops

Jim Harbaugh (In the NFL now)

Jim Tressell (In the NFL now)

Pete Carroll (In NFL now... again)

Steve Sarkisian

Gene Chizik

Paul Johnson

Mark Richt

Bobby Petrino

Steve Spurrier

I am sure i am missing a few. As for hating on Bo, I think he can be as good as all but a select few on this list; he just needs time to develop some coaching skills. How long that will take? who knows....

You have to at least win a conference championship, BCS game, or National Title to be considered a top 10 coach. So he's probably around #15-20. I like him, but needs to have an attitude and poise that makes a head coach.

I'm not saying he is top 10 & I agree he is probably a top 15-20 guy, but your logic would put Gene Chizik in the top 10. I would rather have a unproven Tim Beck as HC then Gene Chizik. I might even take Turner Gill first.

it is so ridiculous that people state "Bo is not a top10 coach because he has not won a conference title or has not been to a bcs bowl." Would Bo be any better as a coach if there was no extra second left on the clock against TX??

Simple answer: he would be infinitely better. He would be even better than that had Taylor not thrown that pick in the end-zone when up 17 on OU last year as well.