Bo to be Head Coach & Defensive Coordinator

This is why I think we won't get someone like Mike Stoops or Mike Ekler or Kevin Steele or Ron Zook will be here. None of these guys will want to come to Nebraska when the real defensive coordinator is Bo Pelini and everyone knows that.

This is exactly right. That's why the vacancy created by Carl leaving should be filled on the offensive side of the ball. A real full time QB coach would be my choice. And no, Turner Gill isn't going to come back and do that.

Unfortunately, Turner has several million reasons not to be a QB coach (besides it being a major demotion). I think back on all of the NU quarterbacks that Turner coached.......what a shame he can't come back...... He'd be perfect.

I just truly don't believe that is the direction our offense wants to go. I respect the hell out of Turner, but it just seems that we are headed a different direction on offense than what would fit his knowledge.

You lost me there.

Meaning that QB coach is a specialized position which I believe focuses on the fundamentals of the Quarterback position. As much as I loved Turned Gill and his execution of the option under Tom Osborne, I just don't think that's where we are headed. Now I may be wrong. I know we ran plenty of option this year, and Turner could probably teach Martinez how to execute that pitch a bit better. I just think Tim Beck being a former passing game coordinator that this offense wants to be more geared toward a multiple look spread offense. A mix of tight run formations with the ability to spread 5 wide at any time. I could be wrong with that. I just don't think Turner's knowledge of the option would help a whole lot in that respect.

Turner's QB knowledge isn't primarily option football though. His Buffalo and Kansas offenses have been spread-oriented with power run principles. He's actually quite similar to what Beck is trying to run here, believe it or not.

Regardless though, I'm with Paul here and don't believe he'll come to NU to be a position coach, so it's a moot point.

This is why I think we won't get someone like Mike Stoops or Mike Ekler or Kevin Steele or Ron Zook will be here. None of these guys will want to come to Nebraska when the real defensive coordinator is Bo Pelini and everyone knows that.

This is exactly right. That's why the vacancy created by Carl leaving should be filled on the offensive side of the ball. A real full time QB coach would be my choice. And no, Turner Gill isn't going to come back and do that.

Unfortunately, Turner has several million reasons not to be a QB coach (besides it being a major demotion). I think back on all of the NU quarterbacks that Turner coached.......what a shame he can't come back...... He'd be perfect.

I just truly don't believe that is the direction our offense wants to go. I respect the hell out of Turner, but it just seems that we are headed a different direction on offense than what would fit his knowledge.

You lost me there.

Meaning that QB coach is a specialized position which I believe focuses on the fundamentals of the Quarterback position. As much as I loved Turned Gill and his execution of the option under Tom Osborne, I just don't think that's where we are headed. Now I may be wrong. I know we ran plenty of option this year, and Turner could probably teach Martinez how to execute that pitch a bit better. I just think Tim Beck being a former passing game coordinator that this offense wants to be more geared toward a multiple look spread offense. A mix of tight run formations with the ability to spread 5 wide at any time. I could be wrong with that. I just don't think Turner's knowledge of the option would help a whole lot in that respect.

Turner's QB knowledge isn't primarily option football though. His Buffalo and Kansas offenses have been spread-oriented with power run principles. He's actually quite similar to what Beck is trying to run here, believe it or not.

Regardless though, I'm with Paul here and don't believe he'll come to NU to be a position coach, so it's a moot point.

I do agree with the point partially. Turners knowledge as an offensive coordinator might be right in line with what Beck is trying to do. QB coach and offensive coordinator are two completely different things. Like I said, the fundamentals of the QB position is a whole lot different. You can stick an option QB into a passing offense and things won't work out. Just like you can stick a passing QB into an option offense and things will not work. Beck wants a dual threat QB in my opinion. Someone who is efficient in executing both. Turner's experience at Quarterback clearly was one and not the other.

Nebraska won't pay the 700,000 range it would take to get a former head coach to take the DC spot. Not to mention it's been well known that JP was offered that spot when and if Carl left. Otherwise he would have taken the job at Texas or Florida last year. This guy is very sought after and we're lucky to have him.

Bo is talking to coaches now to see what his options are. There have been 5 names floated in the booster circles as possible defense hires (two were co -DC so I don't think they'll happen now) and two on the offense should they move a coach over.

Oh and I agree, I can't see him stepping back from HC to QB coach.
Why not? He's unemployed and it happens a lot. Kevin Steele became LB coach after Baylor. Dan McCarney left Iowa and became a D line coach at South Florida (or was it Central Florida).

Your right it was USF. And it was as the DLine coach also had Associate HC on the title as well I believe.

I also agree that Turner may look into a position coach with an associate or assistant title for a year or two

Oh and I agree, I can't see him stepping back from HC to QB coach.
Why not? He's unemployed and it happens a lot. Kevin Steele became LB coach after Baylor. Dan McCarney left Iowa and became a D line coach at South Florida (or was it Central Florida).

It's not that he wouldn't consider being a position coach inasmuch as where he'd consider being a position coach. I can't speak for Bo or Turner here, but I get the sense that they're awkward around each other these days since TO chose Bo over Turner. The circumstance makes it awkward in my opinion.

But he certainly could be a position coach at another school if he wanted to. I just don't think it'll be at Nebraska with Bo at the helm. I've been wrong before, but this is just my intuition on the matter.

Bo will call the defense from here on, and I'm sure he did plenty this year. I have stated in other posts, that the coach that I question most is JP. He took over coaching the DLine this year, and the play dropped off considerably, with the same players as 2010.

I don't disagree with you, but remember, Crick didn't play much of the season, Merideth got FAT and we had other injuries that in some games (NW) we only had 4-5 guys the entire game. They did drop off, but don't forget about "circumstances".

Meredith didn't get fat. His body fat percentage is only in the 40's, from the pictures I've thoroughly examined.

Nebraska won't pay the 700,000 range it would take to get a former head coach to take the DC spot. Not to mention it's been well known that JP was offered that spot when and if Carl left. Otherwise he would have taken the job at Texas or Florida last year. This guy is very sought after and we're lucky to have him.

Bo is talking to coaches now to see what his options are. There have been 5 names floated in the booster circles as possible defense hires (two were co -DC so I don't think they'll happen now) and two on the offense should they move a coach over.

I was trying to think of which offensive coach we'd move to defense... Rich Fisher is the only guy I could imagine moving... So just going along with all of the Gill speculation in this thread...

Papuchis moves to DC, Fisher moves to the defense. Then either Brown moves back to WRs with Beck moving back to RBs, or Beck coaches the WRs - both scenarios leaving QBs open for Gill and "running game coordinator" or something like that... Is this the type of scenario being discussed in booster circles?

I was trying to think of which offensive coach we'd move to defense... Rich Fisher is the only guy I could imagine moving... So just going along with all of the Gill speculation in this thread...

Papuchis moves to DC, Fisher moves to the defense. Then either Brown moves back to WRs with Beck moving back to RBs, or Beck coaches the WRs - both scenarios leaving QBs open for Gill and "running game coordinator" or something like that... Is this the type of scenario being discussed in booster circles?

There's also another coach that was a former DC. Ron Brown could move over and Beck would take back the RB's in that instance freeing up a spot for QBs. FWIW I think its just likely we hire a Dline guy that might also become RC. I actually think Cotton would be a good RC. Don't know what may or may not happen. Its not good to have the RC spot go from guy to guy to guy so we needed to figure out who's going to hold on to it. Els might be a good fit. Nothing has been said but in the back of my mind I could see him go with Carl as a DC guy. However he's got roots here and I'm not sure the money would be there.

No doubt that Bo is a great defensive mind. That said, he is the Head Coach. He needs to focus on a whole lot more than just the defense. If he takes on the DC role, his mind will be spread too many different ways. I think for this entire team to be successful, there needs to be an individual at each position giving his full attention to his own job. Bo needs a guy who brings some knowledge to the position. Of course Bo will look for someone with a similar mindset, but he has to be willing to relinquish control to somebody else in my opinion. You've seen how some veteran knowledge has paid off for Michigan. I think we need something similar. Like Urban Meyer has said, it's just too hard for the Head Coach to try to have his nose in everything all the time. You've got to be able to trust the guys you hire. That why you hire them. Let them do their jobs. Now as much as I think Bo needs to let someone else come in and shine some new light on things, do I think Bo will actually relinquish full duties to someone else? Probably not.

It's also a good chance for him to show he can be a CEO and this time not hire a buddy from his inner-circle. Interview the best defensive minds out there regardless of whether they have a Youngstown connection or not.

I welcome Bo taking over the DC, if he does, because I really believe he needs to be more hands on with the defense. This means he will have to leave the offense to those coaches...which I have mixed feelings about, because I really haven't seen much improvement in the last 3 years on the O-line, and something needs to change there before next season.