NU/SC Game changers

I think the real game changer will be the match-up between Alshon and Dennard

I think the real match will be between Clowney and the two or three guys we put over him to slow him down.

No, he's not in every down, passing downs. Worry more about Ingram, kid's legit and in every play.

Yeah, I guess I'm just going by the highlights, and not the season stats. And Clowney has some pretty awesome highlights.

You should see his high school film. Good lord. There was literally no one who could block him. Meeting the the QB and RB in the backfield at the handoff was the norm for him. Get there a tad too late? No worries...tackle them both!

SC has 4 playmakers...the front 4. You beat them, you beat South Carolina.

You're right. DJ Swearinger, Stephon Gilmore, and Antonio Allen all suck...

The key will be the battle in the trenches. I think that skill players match up well. SC's D line will be, IMHO, the best we will see. They are quick and get penetration without a lot of stunts or blitzes. They play fast. Beck needs to dial up the quick screens and misdirection to slow them down. I really also think that this would be a great time to allow JT to play. He would be a great asset on the quick screens. This is the game to get our playmakers involved big time. SC will game plan to eat Martinez alive. Beck needs to make him a manager and distributor of the ball. This will get SC out of the box and then open it up for some zone read and designed QB runs. We won't be able to allow Beck to only call 1/2 a good game. He will need to be on from the first whistle.

Alshon Jeffery is a game changer, most teams double team him every game, and then this is what happens when they go one on one.

This was his last game.

This was against bama.

Last year, against OSU (Okie Lite) Dennard begged the staff to go against Blackmon as Prince (AA CB last year) was beat deep. Dennard thrives on these type of receivers. Not to detract from Jeffery, but passing against Dennard is a recipe for disaster. The kid (Dennard) is that good. This late in the year, passing won't get opposing teams the W. That dual threat QB worries me much more.

Last year, against OSU (Okie Lite) Dennard begged the staff to go against Blackmon as Prince (AA CB last year) was beat deep. Dennard thrives on these type of receivers. Not to detract from Jeffery, but passing against Dennard is a recipe for disaster. The kid (Dennard) is that good. This late in the year, passing won't get opposing teams the W. That dual threat QB worries me much more.

I can see you point, we haven't been that great of a passing team this year, except 3 or 4 games, but when AJ is on the field, DC's design for him. The DC's historically will play a double coverage on him, and I agree, this will free up QB Connor to break loose.

Pelini is waaaay to stubborn to change his defense because of one player. However I do expect Dennard to be manned up On Alshon with VERY limited safety help...he looks like a Blackmon twin...Big and Physical but not a burner...In other words a stud but Dennard is probably the best physical corner in the country so that might be a push.

HOWEVER.....Your QB will have a field day against us running the ball or keeping our LB's in limbo though...We played 3 athletic QBs this year and lost all three games....Because of this I have to give you the advantage. Our defense this year, especially the DL, has been a big disappointment. We lost our AA DT (Crick), and the others...well their stats speak for themselves.

BTW Ace Sanders was Brion Carnes favorite target in HS....If you want to see our backup QB watch Ace's highlight videos from HS, as you won't see any from Carnes this season LOL, he rides the bench whether we are up 30 or down 30 :(.

The one area we might be able to exploit some is running right at you, but I don't see any big plays from us, and I see a Low scoring game our best chance of success.

You should see his high school film. Good lord. There was literally no one who could block him. Meeting the the QB and RB in the backfield at the handoff was the norm for him. Get there a tad too late? No worries...tackle them both!

High School is High School, and Div I is a whole different game, but here you go. The first clip is sick. Chases down the running back from 5 yards back hurdling an attempted block along the way....

I can see you point, we haven't been that great of a passing team this year, except 3 or 4 games, but when AJ is on the field, DC's design for him. The DC's historically will play a double coverage on him, and I agree, this will free up QB Connor to break loose.

Bo won't change a whole scheme for one guy. I do think it was finally the lst game Bo had Dennard on Iowas #1 receiver. Against Michicken, IIRC, it was one of our slower guys and it hurt.

I also cant see Bo changing from the safety help over the top. This unfortunately has cost us three games. You guessed it, they were all against mobile QBs. Maybe this will actually be the game when Bo designs a way to actually stop a mobile QB. I also hope he scraps the two gap and just let's our D line go hat on hat. Same with our O line.

Seems like the teams that gave y'all fits we're Navy and the real Bulldogs ( well they scored 20 anyway!). Both teams are option teams. We have got to scheme a way beat your D line speed. Misdirection and right down the throat would work for me.

I know someone had previously (maybe in another thread) that you have some trouble holding on to the ball? Regardless if true or not... Lavonte David, along with being the absolute animal that he is, has become great at doing this, especially when it needs to happen. He's done it several times this year, this clip, Iowa... I think maybe one or two more times?

I know someone had previously (maybe in another thread) that you have some trouble holding on to the ball? Regardless if true or not... Lavonte David, along with being the absolute animal that he is, has become great at doing this, especially when it needs to happen. He's done it several times this year, this clip, Iowa... I think maybe one or two more times?

That was a great play. We do have trouble with fumbles, and we've had more than a few interceptions (however most were thrown by our former QB Garcia) but we are nasty in creating them.

We have 2 guys, Clowney and Allen who are in the Top 20 for forced fumbles.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2011&div=IA&rpt=IA_playerforcedfumbles&site=org&div=IA&dest=O

Also, USC's #5 in Passes Intercepted

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2011&rpt=IA_teampassint&site=org&div=IA&dest=O