South Carolina

But they are in bed for billions with every conference. You could make an identical argument for all of them, including the B1G. Here shortly the B1G will set the record and be the latest ESPN deal to top $2 billion.

The Longhorn Network you could certainly argue for - but to say ESPN is going around telling their commentators to pick an SEC team against Nebraska because they only have a $1 billion invested in the B1G is a HUGE STRETCH. It's about ratings - picking SC probably hurts ratings because people enjoy watching NE win.

But they are in bed for billions with every conference. You could make an identical argument for all of them, including the B1G. Here shortly the B1G will set the record and be the latest ESPN deal to top $2 billion.

The Longhorn Network you could certainly argue for - but to say ESPN is going around telling their commentators to pick an SEC team against Nebraska because they only have a $1 billion invested in the B1G is a HUGE STRETCH. It's about ratings - picking SC probably hurts ratings because people enjoy watching NE win.

They have a unique relationship with the SEC that they do not have with any other conference, and with only one other school (Texas). So it's not a huge stretch at all to presume they would promote their investment - in fact, it would be silly not to.

Actually I think a lot of the rest of the country enjoys watching Nebraska lose.

I'm not convinced that ESPN is doing much more than trying to pick the most likely winner of these games. If I'm not a Husker fan, a #22 team vs a #9 team that is favored to win by Vegas, and part of my reputation rests on how many bowl games I pick correctly, I probably also tend to go with the country wide consensus unless I see some matchup advantages (which I really don't see in this game). If I've watched Nebraska underperform all year like I have, I can't even understand what the controversy is.

How does one rationalize their thoughts not wanting Alabama in the BCS title game but then aknowledge they're a better team than Okie State? The BCS system is supposed to put the best two teams in the title game. While they don't always get it right, I believe they did get it right this year. I'd say there's a considerable distance between LSU/Bama over the rest of the top teams.

Junior:

Oh, yeah... like you, I realize that Bama and LSU are the top two teams --- but something has to be said about winning your conference... OSU, while I think they would get smoked, did win their conference, they have the same record as Bama --- and really, they deserve a shot at LSU. Again, I think Bama is better... but LSU already beat them... they had their shot. OSU would, were they to play LSu, represent the nation in the "the rest of us" against the SEC. At least that way, there is a chance that a non-SEC team wins.

As it stands, my only interest in the NC game is that LSU loses so that they cannot contend with NU '71 or NU '95 as the greatest of all time. Toward that end, I am glad that Bama is in there ... they have a much better chance than OSU would of toppling LSU.

true. but picking when EVERYONE goes and picks SC people will be less interested because they'll assume its and already decided game. after last years bowl showing I wouldn't blame them. I think it would benefit all if a few people though NE had the chance to win.

SI.com likes Nebraska. Legate even made the top photos of the year w/ this fumble recovery...

frakes.opy0-68516-mid.jpg

Sometimes people pick teams because they think they're going to win...not because they're being paid. Kind of like how sometimes running backs are able to score 38 touchdowns in a season becuase they're good, not because they're on an above average team.....its weird how the real world works out like that.

Actually I think a lot of the rest of the country enjoys watching Nebraska lose.

I'm not convinced that ESPN is doing much more than trying to pick the most likely winner of these games. If I'm not a Husker fan, a #22 team vs a #9 team that is favored to win by Vegas, and part of my reputation rests on how many bowl games I pick correctly, I probably also tend to go with the country wide consensus unless I see some matchup advantages (which I really don't see in this game). If I've watched Nebraska underperform all year like I have, I can't even understand what the controversy is.

Agreed. Not picking SC over NU would be really unwarranted... nothing, absolutely nothing --- objectively speaking --- should incline anyone to pick NU. That is not to say that NU cannot pull off a shocker... but... if they do win, it would indeed be a shocker. Everything on paper favors SC.

Sometimes people pick teams because they think they're going ot win...not beacause they're being paid. Kind of like how sometimes running backs are able to score 38 touchdowns in a season becuase they're good, not because they're on an above average team.....its weird how the real world works out like that.

You're a little butt hurt about all the Ball-Burkhead discussion aren't you? I don't blame you but you gotta consider this is a Husker site.

• Fire 1

Sometimes people pick teams because they think they're going to win...not because they're being paid. Kind of like how sometimes running backs are able to score 38 touchdowns in a season becuase they're good, not because they're on an above average team.....its weird how the real world works out like that.

You're a little butt hurt about all the Ball-Burkhead discussion aren't you? I don't blame you but you gotta consider this is a Husker site.

You could never be butt hurt if you've been the places I've been and seen the things I've seen :leghump:

You could never be butt hurt if you've been the places I've been and seen the things I've seen :leghump:

Just to supply more fodder for the out of context quotes I will offer this; Since you are incapable of being butt hurt, my butt aches for you.

Just to supply more fodder for the out of context quotes I will offer this; Since you are incapable of being butt hurt, my butt aches for you.

Good to know I'm not the only one around here whose farts don't make noise....

Sometimes people pick teams because they think they're going ot win...not beacause they're being paid. Kind of like how sometimes running backs are able to score 38 touchdowns in a season becuase they're good, not because they're on an above average team.....its weird how the real world works out like that.

Badgerfan has a point. I mean, Reggie Ball is a great representative of Wisconsin Badger Awesomeness.

Badgerfan has a point. I mean, Reggie Ball is a great representative of Wisconsin Badger Awesomeness.

Go suck a lemon

How does one rationalize their thoughts not wanting Alabama in the BCS title game but then aknowledge they're a better team than Okie State? The BCS system is supposed to put the best two teams in the title game. While they don't always get it right, I believe they did get it right this year. I'd say there's a considerable distance between LSU/Bama over the rest of the top teams.

Yes, oversigning does have its benefits.

They're not the only ones that oversign, yet they're still head and shoulders above those other teams that oversign. I continue to hear people whining and complaining about LSU playing Bama in the title game. Yet, most of them concede that LSU and Bama are the two best teams this year in college football. Why do we even have the BCS if people don't want the two best teams to play in the title game? We might as well go back to bowl tie ins and do away with the BCS bowl system.

Who else oversigns like the SEC?

Let's assume it is just the SEC. There's a lot more teams in the SEC than just Bama and LSU. LSU and Bama are head and shoulders above the rest of the teams in the SEC which by your own admission oversign. If oversigning was THE reason Bama and LSU are head and shoulders above everyone else, then there'd be other teams up there with them on their pedestal this year. If oversigning was what it took to be at their level, Houston Nutt wouldn't be looking for another job right now. I have no idea who oversigns, but I do know more than just LSU and Bama do it.