Gamecocks cut 6 scholies for Major Violations

NUance

I know right, we should just stop being fans, our school sucks and we're all horrible people for rooting for them.

All the improvement and wins we have made the last few years have been cool and all, but what I'm really concerned about is the history of our program which no one can change- yep, that's what really matters. I just stare at history books trying to change them with my mind... The present is so overrated...

Yea we have such a crooked school we almost let a woman beater play on our team and then promoted the coach that did it to AD...so damn crooked.

The LP deal you are referring to, did any ncaa violations result from that? How does that episode--which occurred over 15 years ago--make Tom Osborne or NU crooked?

Really, Badgerfan, is this the best you can do to run Nebraska's program down? Bringing up something that happened in 1995?

Yea we have such a crooked school we almost let a woman beater play on our team and then promoted the coach that did it to AD...so damn crooked.

The LP deal you are referring to, did any ncaa violations result from that? How does that episode--which occurred over 15 years ago--make Tom Osborne or NU crooked?

Really, Badgerfan, is this the best you can do to run Nebraska's program down? Bringing up something that happened in 1995?

You bashed my school first...Crooked? Come on guy, USC didn't put those kids in the Whitney but your school DID field a known domestic abuser...and while not a violation per se it's something far worse. It's a serious ethical and moral failure and it will stick with your school whether it happened in 1995 or today.

Let me put it this way...who's worse? A broke college kid who takes an offer on a place to live (I'd have done the same in college) or a man that chokes out his girlfriend, drags her by her hair and catapults her down a flight of stairs?

One is just a kid that made a stupid, but understandable, mistake while the other is a worthless sack of sh#t.

Which one played for Nebraska?

Not to mention the response to each incident. USC released individuals connected to our scandal. At Nebraska, if you coddle women-beaters, you get promoted to AD.

Crooked? USC didn't put those kids in the Whitney
Really? Then I guess Jennifer Stiles can get her job back. If USC didn't have anything to do with it then why did they can their Compliance Official?

but your school DID field a known domestic abuser...and while not a violation per se it's something far worse. It's a serious ethical and moral failure and it will stick with your school whether you like it or not.
Was LP a known domestic abuser before that episode happened? Heh. That's news to me. How do you know this? Linky please?

Let me put it this way...who's worse? A broke college kid who takes an offer on a place to live (I'd have done the same in college) or a man that chokes out his girlfriend, drags her by her hair and catapults her down a flight of stairs?
It wasn't just one broke college kid, was it now? And as for LP, this was something that happened over 15 years ago. Can't you come up with anything better than that to bash the Huskers? Something from the new millennium at least.

One is just a kid that made a stupid, but understandable, mistake while the other is a worthless sack of sh#t.

Which one played for Nebraska?

As for me, okay, sure I am a little stupid sometimes--but I didn't play for Nebraska. As for you, I wouldn't say you are completely worthless.

Oh, you are talking about the players. I gotcha. ;)

To avoid a never ending quote pyramid:

Ms. Stiles failed to properly execute the duties of her office and she no longer serves the University in her previous capacity because of it, however if that is your idea of USC "putting the kids up in the Whitney" then you're just plain wrong. The Hotel Manager, Jamie Blevins, not someone working for the School, created the abnormal leases. That's a good bit different than knowing one of your players beat the living sh#t out of a person and still fielding him. If I was TO I wouldn't have let the man near me let alone on my team but then again I'm not connected to the UNL so maybe that's normal there.

As long as TO is your AD its relevant and I'll most definitely bring it up if you chose to bash my school. 1995 or 2011, its only fair. The fact that you all still employ TO is absolutely disgusting. By turning a blind eye and allowing such a revolting human being to be involved in his program Osborne, in many ways, pulled a Paterno before Paterno pulled a Paterno.

Oh and you guys did play LP even after he'd been arrested so yes, he was a known domestic abuser when he wore a Husker uniform.

Lets get down to the real issue, I and most other USC fans, felt no need to bash NU prior to this game but for whatever reason bashing USC has become kind of a thing here. I don't know quite why but I can guess....c$%k envy dancincocky.gif

Ms. Stiles failed to properly execute the duties of her office and she no longer serves the University in her previous capacity because of it, however if that is your idea of USC "putting the kids up in the Whitney" then you're just plain wrong. The Hotel Manager, Jamie Blevins, not someone working for the School, created the abnormal leases.
The hotel manager was working with the school—or at least the school was aware of what the hotel manager was doing at the time he was doing it. The Gamecocks Compliance Officer approved of the special deal your athletes were getting. USC only fired her when the scandal hit the press. For public relations reasons.

Lets get down to the real issue, I and most other USC fans, felt no need to bash NU prior to this game but for whatever reason bashing USC has become kind of a thing here.
The original post includes a paragraph from an AP newspaper article. Perhaps you should accuse the Associated Press of bashing the Gamecocks.
That's a good bit different than knowing one of your players beat the living sh#t out of a person and still fielding him. If I was TO I wouldn't have let the man near me let alone on my team but then again I'm not connected to the UNL so maybe that's normal there.
I don’t see why you would drag Tom Osborne’s good name in the mud to justify the CHEATING of the Gamecocks.

As long as TO is your AD its relevant and I'll most definitely bring it up if you chose to bash my school. 1995 or 2011, its only fair. The fact that you all still employ TO is absolutely disgusting. By turning a blind eye and allowing such a revolting human being to be involved in his program Osborne, in many ways, pulled a Paterno before Paterno pulled a Paterno.
So you are comparing what Tom Osborne did to Paterno? Really? REALLY? That is absurd. Paterno looked the other way while a known pedophile ran amuck in Penn State’s athletic facilities. LP had a minor brush with the law as a college student, and Tom Osborne decided to suspend him rather than kick him off the team. I, for one, think Osborne did the right thing.

Osborne kept Lawrence Phillips on the team out of concern for LP. Not because he needed LP to win. Osborne suspended LP but kept him on the team in an effort to help Phillips out. At the end of the season he played Lawrence Phillips in the Fiesta bowl to showcase his talent for the NFL draft. I’m pretty sure we would have beat Spurrier without LP on the field. NU had other perfectly capable I-backs aside from Lawrence Phillips.

But really this thread isn’t about the misconceptions of Tom Osborne's good intentions to help out a troubled young man. It’s about our Cap One bowl game opponent, the South Carolina Gamecocks. And more particularly, about the Gamecocks NCAA VIOLATIONS AND CHEATING.

In 2009, the gamecocks compliance officer messed up, and it looks like you could use the word "cheated" for that, it seems fair. However, going on a Holier-Than-Thou tirade like you're on is ridiculous, when your school has had infractions as well. Saying "well, they were just books," isn't any different than saying, "well, they were just rooms to stay in," b/c they are both "cheating." Same principle with the Phillip's situation, we both just suspended players we could've kicked off for whatever reason, so splitting hairs is absurd.

If this thread is your preemptive and cognitive or sub-concious, "reason we lost the game is b/c USC cheats thread," well that's wrong too. USC didn't have any recruits go directly to the Whitney after they enrolled. Those guys were mostly upper classmen or sophmores in 2009. There was never a recruiting benefit from the Whitney situation. If you disagree, prove it, otherwise it's speculation.

In 2009, the gamecocks compliance officer messed up, and it looks like you could use the word "cheated" for that, it seems fair. However, going on a Holier-Than-Thou tirade like you're on is ridiculous, when your school has had infractions as well. Saying "well, they were just books," isn't any different than saying, "well, they were just rooms to stay in," b/c they are both "cheating." Same principle with the Phillip's situation, we both just suspended players we could've kicked off for whatever reason, so splitting hairs is absurd.

If this thread is your preemptive and cognitive or sub-concious, "reason we lost the game is b/c USC cheats thread," well that's wrong too. USC didn't have any recruits go directly to the Whitney after they enrolled. Those guys were mostly upper classmen or sophmores in 2009. There was never a recruiting benefit from the Whitney situation. If you disagree, prove it, otherwise it's speculation.

That seems like a reasonable enough answer. Begrudgingly admitting that the Gamecocks cheated. Because $55,000 improper hotel benefits to players, recruiting violations, ineligible players, and running a sham charitable organization to direct recruits to USC is, after all, CHEATING.

That seems like a reasonable enough answer. Begrudgingly admitting that the Gamecocks cheated. Because $55,000 improper hotel benefits to players, recruiting violations, ineligible players, and running a sham charitable organization to direct recruits to USC is, after all, CHEATING.

I don't think anyone is denying that we committed a serious infraction. I'm sure not.

Officials at USC, at the very best were negligent in failing to notice some pretty big problems and at the very worst were complicit in the scandal, either way it’s disappointing. That said I don’t really understand the pure vitriol in your posts NUance, for example, our school is crooked? No more so than Nebraska.

I don't think anyone is denying that we committed a serious infraction. I'm sure not.

Officials at USC, at the very best were negligent in failing to notice some pretty big problems and at the very worst were complicit in the scandal, either way it’s disappointing. That said I don’t really understand the pure vitriol in your posts NUance, for example, our school is crooked? No more so than Nebraska.

Vitriol? Shoot, this is light hearted parrying. Just back and forth pregame message board talk. What do you expect if you go on another team’s message board and start talking smack?