Coolest thing just happened!

I have seen a lot of you guys say "pictures or it didn't happen"... I didn't get a picture, unfortunately, but this just made my year...

I just got my brand new Husker hat in the mail, so I threw it on before I ran out to the grocery store. I get into line behind an old man who tells me "nice hat", and proceeds to tell me that he went to Nebraska. We got into conversation about what part of Nebraska our families are from, how we came to live in Los Angeles, etc. After a few minutes of conversation, he tells me to hold my hand out, which I did.

He then places in my hand a 1971 National Championship ring, engraved with "13-0", "Big 8 Champions", and "#42 Sloey". I was like a little kid who just met Santa Clause or something. Not only was I pumped to meet a former Husker (which has always been amazing for me, on the rare occasion it has happened), but to actually hold in my hand a 1971 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP RING was just one of the coolest things ever.

I know running into former players, or seeing a part of Husker History is probably not out of the norm for those of you in/around Nebraska. But to have an encounter like this in the express check-out at Vons in a suburb of Los Angeles was just AMAZING for me!

Sorry, I'm rambling a bit -- I'm just still super pumped about the whole incident. Anyway, just thought I'd share! Merry Christmas Everyone!

(BTW, Super Nice guy) GBR

• Fire 4

Bill Sloey a linebacker from Hawthorne Calif was # 42 on the 1971 team. And what do you mean "Old man"? :) Thanks for this post...very cool! Our family Dr was on the 1970 team. I always wait till after we've talked treatment for whatever I'm in his office before I start talking Husker football. He'll keep patients waiting for 10 mins talking football with me once we start. Once a Husker always a Husker!