Alshon Jeffery

Like Ive said all along, Dennard played him really tough. Better than fellow projected first round corner Dre Kirkpatrick did last year. I wasnt complaining about Dennards physicality down the field, Alshon is borderline pass interference physical all the time down the field. And that hail mary he would catch almost everytime, at its core it was just a jumpball, and thats his thing. You guys should have just had someone behind him to keep him from getting in the end zone.

A jump ball, one on one, I could see Jeffrey winning that battle often. That said, I don't care how good a wide receiver is - most don't come down with hail mary passes. Most are deflected or intercepted and the stats prove this. Again, I don't want to take anything away from Jeffrey, because Nebraska could have played that pass better without question. At it's core, though, a hail mary is a prayer.

I thought Shaw deserved the MVP more than Jeffrey, though. I don't care what you did in a game - if you're ejected, you don't deserve to be rewarded for your play. I would hold this standard to Jeffrey even if he were a Husker player.

:yeah

My point though, is that essentially, THIS hail mary was a jump ball. Yes, most of them are prayers(Wisconsin-Mich St game for example) that get tipped around and someone comes up with it. Alshon is GREAT at going up and getting the ball at its highest point. The man is 6'4 with a 35 inch vert, once he got his position, at 230 pounds he wasnt gonna be moved so there was nothing a defender could do at that point. I dont know much about your DBs but Im assuming they are around 6'0 maybe 6'1 at best which gives Alshon AT LEAST a 3 inch advantage over everyone. If he times the jump right and is in the right spot he WILL get his hands on it, your guys could do nothing about that. BUT, what could have, and should have been done is have one or two of the guys who were in front of him stay behind him to keep him from scoring.

I will give you this though, Shaw was able to hold the ball longer than normal to give Alshon plenty of time to get posted up in his spot. That IMO was lucky for us, along with yall not having anyone behind him. If he has to throw the ball any sooner or if yall have guys behind Alshon, that TD doesnt happen. The blocked XP, it bouncing perfectly to Gilmore, TMart throwing that pick to Gilmore in the red zone, all that stuff was fortunate for us. We definitely caught some breaks in this one.

Oh pshh. Whatever. Watch the game, get a clue. Don't be one of those people going by stats alone. Alshon had two big catches. Both of those catches Dennard was not to blame for. Cassidy, the safety, was supposed to have inside zone on that 78 yard streak route that Dennard ran him down on. If Cassidy does his job he picks that pass, or at least makes the QB put some arc on the ball. Dennard was on the outside of the receiver like he was supposed to be. The hail mary was crap as well, Dennard wasn't even guarding him from the start of the play. Stanley Jean-Baptiste was guarding him from the line.

Dennard shut Jeffery down. He had what, 1 or 2 catches when Dennard was 1 on 1 with him? Whenever Dennard was forced to play a team strategy and share Jeffery with others was when Jeffery got yards. Not impressed. He couldn't beat Dennard on his own, but he could certainly beat everyone else in Nebraska's secondary.

Wrong.

"The Huskers were less fortunate at the end of the first half, when Jeffery snuck behind several defenders, out-jumped the group and hauled in a 51-yard hail mary on the last play of the half. Dennard, safety Damion Stafford and Stanley Jean-Baptiste were all on the coverage."

http://nebraska.247s...-ejection-55356

On the jump ball, yes, but it doesn't say who was guarding him at the snap of the ball, which was Stanley Jean-Baptiste. And he didn't outjump Dennard on that play because he slipped, and was behind Alshon to tackle him, but he couldn't quite keep him out of the endzone.

Great receivers are gonna make plays but if a corner can cover him one-on-one with minimal damage (which Dennard did when covering Alshon, he wasn't on the Hail Mary, so Alshon had three catches on him and his one long gain, which could have been avoided if the safety was over top like he was supposed to but that is another issue, resulted in 0 points, so I would consider that minimal damage). It also frees up the defense which is what Dennard did when he was in there.

Now I'm not saying Alshon didn't have a great game cause he did. He made his plays and had a good stat line. I don't think Dennard won the battle, but he definielty did not lose it, either. So we will call it a draw, since they both took each other out. But, Alshon ultimately won the war as USC won the game. Congrats to you guys on the victory and hopefully we can have a rematch sometime in the near future.

Yes, Alshon had two good plays, including an incredibly lucky Hail Mary catch for a score. Take away his two plays he had two catches for 19 yards, and an ejection from the game. Plus we found out that he punches like a girl. Good thing the refs stepped in before Dennard kicked his ass on national TV.

Yes, Alshon had two good plays, including an incredibly lucky Hail Mary catch for a score. Take away his two plays he had two catches for 19 yards, and an ejection from the game. Plus we found out that he punches like a girl. Good thing the refs stepped in before Dennard kicked his ass on national TV.

haha, you can't argue stat's based on fictionally taking them away. What if the Gamecocks said, "Well, Dennard had 4 tackles, 0 passes defended and 0 interceptions, if you take away those 4 tackles, you wouldn't have even known he was there." My point is, there are NO MULLIGANS in football. We practiced that "Hail Mary" all year, and we've ran it a few times and we hit it this time. It wasn't luck, it was execution. Dennard won the fight, he landed 3 punches to Alshon's 1 open palm strike, but Dennard lost the matchup. In just over 1 half of football, Alshon caught 4 of 5 balls for 148 yards and a TD. Pelini gambled that Dennard could hold him and it didn't pay off. That's why SEC defenses doubled Alshon almost all of the time this year.

I hate it for both guys that they ended their college careers like this, it's embarrassing for both to go out on ejections.

It wasn't luck, it was execution.

All Hail Mary passes are luck. Every single team practices Hail Marys all year long. When one hits it's not execution, it's simply one guy snatching the ball out of the crowd.

The Hail Mary is the least football-like play in the book. It takes less skill than any other play in the game.

This isn't about your Hail Mary. Of all the ones I've seen over the years, Alshon's catch was probably the most skilled catch/spin/score of the group. My dislike goes back to Doug Flutie and beyond.

Alshon Jeffrey made 2 catches, only one of which resulted in any points for his team. Dennard was completely shutting him down and was gettin under his skin. Obviously jeffrey feels he is entitled becuase of who he is. Dennard was in no way innocent for what happened, in fact I feel Dennard did more to deserve what happened to him, but it is a major failure of morales to award the mvp to a trash talking, face mask grabbing thug like alshon jeffrey. What has our society come to when we kick a player out of the game for crap like that then not 2 hours later give him the mvp, for a game a barely played half of. What a joke. No wonder these punks and act like they do.

Absolute rubbish. Dennard instigated it all and absolutely mobbed Jeffery with no call of course. If you watch the fight video clearly Dennard was all over him and even threw an uppercut to the chin under the helmet before Jeffery turned and pushed him and once again Dennard threw another punch. Jeffery DID deserve MVP and he should of never been ejected, however the punk Dennard deserved everything he got.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXBsz1bBfF0

For all the physicalcality of those two playing each other, there is no denying that Jeffery both beat Dennard in coverage on that play, and broke Dennard's attempted tackle on the Hail Mary at the end of the play. There is also no denying that ONE PLAY changed the momentum of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2j0xb-foHs&

And regardless of who was at fault, who threw the first punch, and who "won the fight", etc, Dennard hurt his team more by getting thrown out. In this case SC's backup WR's were better than Nebraska's backup CB's, and that cost them in the end.

The question you have to objectively ask is who's Draft stock went up yesterday and who's went down?

Absolute rubbish. Dennard instigated it all and absolutely mobbed Jeffery with no call of course. If you watch the fight video clearly Dennard was all over him and even threw an uppercut to the chin under the helmet before Jeffery turned and pushed him and once again Dennard threw another punch. Jeffery DID deserve MVP and he should of never been ejected, however the punk Dennard deserved everything he got.

Punk? That's the last word I would use to describe Dennard. Calling him a punk because he lost his mind on one play is pretty foolish.

Oh pshh. Whatever. Watch the game, get a clue. Don't be one of those people going by stats alone. Alshon had two big catches. Both of those catches Dennard was not to blame for. Cassidy, the safety, was supposed to have inside zone on that 78 yard streak route that Dennard ran him down on. If Cassidy does his job he picks that pass, or at least makes the QB put some arc on the ball. Dennard was on the outside of the receiver like he was supposed to be. The hail mary was crap as well, Dennard wasn't even guarding him from the start of the play. Stanley Jean-Baptiste was guarding him from the line.

Dennard shut Jeffery down. He had what, 1 or 2 catches when Dennard was 1 on 1 with him? Whenever Dennard was forced to play a team strategy and share Jeffery with others was when Jeffery got yards. Not impressed. He couldn't beat Dennard on his own, but he could certainly beat everyone else in Nebraska's secondary.

Wrong.

"The Huskers were less fortunate at the end of the first half, when Jeffery snuck behind several defenders, out-jumped the group and hauled in a 51-yard hail mary on the last play of the half. Dennard, safety Damion Stafford and Stanley Jean-Baptiste were all on the coverage."

http://nebraska.247s...-ejection-55356

On the jump ball, yes, but it doesn't say who was guarding him at the snap of the ball, which was Stanley Jean-Baptiste. And he didn't outjump Dennard on that play because he slipped, and was behind Alshon to tackle him, but he couldn't quite keep him out of the endzone.

Great receivers are gonna make plays but if a corner can cover him one-on-one with minimal damage (which Dennard did when covering Alshon, he wasn't on the Hail Mary, so Alshon had three catches on him and his one long gain, which could have been avoided if the safety was over top like he was supposed to but that is another issue, resulted in 0 points, so I would consider that minimal damage). It also frees up the defense which is what Dennard did when he was in there.

Now I'm not saying Alshon didn't have a great game cause he did. He made his plays and had a good stat line. I don't think Dennard won the battle, but he definielty did not lose it, either. So we will call it a draw, since they both took each other out. But, Alshon ultimately won the war as USC won the game. Congrats to you guys on the victory and hopefully we can have a rematch sometime in the near future.

Stop making excuses for Dennard. That 78 yard gain Dennard said himself he should have put his hands on him but instead he tried to run side by side with him and Alshon got some separation.

Ive said it before and Ill say it again. Ive never once said Alshon torched Dennard or anything like that, all of my comments have been towards the few who said Dennard SHUT DOWN Alshon, which he obviously did not. But like others have said, you see now why teams in the best conference in the nation have been doubling him all year.

It takes less skill than any other play in the game.

One small quibble, jumping and catching the ball in a pack of players are skills.

Exactly, there were 4 huskers and 2 c$%ks in the area, Alshon jumped higher, got the ball, turned and went through Dennard into the endzone. That's a good bit of skill and strength.