Alshon Jeffery

Enhance- if you comprehended my post, you would know the only thing I took exception to was calling the play a fluke. You just agreed it wasn't. Not sure what your point is. I know Alshon is not GOAT. Not saying that play would work a majority of the time. On that particular snap, Alshon went beastmode all over your defense. Bottom-line. It's not a fluke- my only point. Yes, people are arguing that point. Read the thread.

Perhaps I just worded it poorly, but here's my thoughts on the issue. How many wide receivers can you name, right now, that have come down with more than one hail mary pass like that in their life? Not many, I assume. By extension, this makes the play a fluke catch he will probably never make again. This isn't a slight on his ability. It's an analysis of the situation and how he got the ball.

Which goes back to what knapplc said, and what I really meant to say before. The play itself was a fluke. Great catch by Jeffrey, but it's one he won't make again, more than likely.

lol at gamecocks--who purport to be a football fans--arguing that a Hail Mary TD is anything other than a fluke. This is a fine example of football stupidity showing through. If it's not a fluke why would any team ever punt? And why do you think it's named after a PRAYER? :lol:

It's not a Hail Mary when you know if you put it up your guy is more than likely going to come down with it ;)

We've been throwing Bombs (passes of 30 yards or more to Alshon for 3 years.) He more often than not gets the ball b/c he's bigger and can jump higher than just about any DB in the country.

There are soooo many in this clip it should illustrate the point AND he was making these catches against some of the best DB's in the NCAA.

This clip is shorter and has some of the more amazing Bombs.

Y'all watch a power run team, we watch a spread/zone read team. We see plays like Alshon made on Dennard all the time and have for years. I understand that if you don't see something often, or at all that it could be perceived as fictional, outlier, or fluke-ish, but to the Gamecocks, we see Alshon make grabs like those several times over the season. NU just decided not to double team Alshon so we got 2 Bombs off in the 1st have alone. Who knows how many yards he could've had if he didn't palm strike Dennard. I would think he would have easily had 200+ and anther TD. Heck, he was on pace for nearly 300 yards.

Thanks for the helpful input, NUisance... I realize that a hail Mary is a low percentage play. I think when calling a play a "fluke", that you should look at the way that one particular play occurred. You are obviously looking at all hail Mary plays in general. I am referring to this one play where our WR out-executed three of your defenders. It was a great play and to call it a fluke discounts it IMO. But hey we can't all be football geniuses like you- all I can do is submit a well-formulated argument while you just call me stupid. Good talk.

Thanks for the helpful input, NUisance... I realize that a hail Mary is a low percentage play.

Friendly advice - stay on the board as long as you like, talk about what you want and enjoy the discussions, but this right here is pretty piss poor maturity. Attack the post, not the poster.

Cockinyourear, I can't watch those videos right now, but do any of those deep "bombs" that Jeffrey caught have more than single or double coverage? That's the issue we're arguing, more or less. While Jeffrey is a great receiver, his catch was a hail mary, thrown up randomly by Shaw into a pile of people. The play itself is something Jeffrey may never do again, which is why it's a fluke.

And we don't watch power run teams all the time. Nebraska is from the Big 12, who had the most explosive offense in NCAA history in 2008 with Oklahoma. We know what it's like to see good receivers and watch great quarterbacks. We also played against a wide receiver who, this year, doubled Jeffrey's yards and will probably be taken before him - Justin Blackmon.

Thanks for the helpful input, NUisance... I realize that a hail Mary is a low percentage play.

Friendly advice - stay on the board as long as you like, talk about what you want and enjoy the discussions, but this right here is pretty piss poor maturity. Attack the post, not the poster.

Unless its me, I'm always fair game. :ahhhhhhhh

Lol, I took a comical jab at his username after he point blank called me stupid. But yeah, I'm the one making it personal. Thanks for the advice, man!

Oh pshh. Whatever. Watch the game, get a clue. Don't be one of those people going by stats alone. Ashlon had two big catches. Both of those catches Dennard was not to blame for. Cassidy, the safety, was supposed to have inside zone on that 78 yard streak route that Dennard ran him down on. If Cassidy does his job he picks that pass. Dennard was on the outside like he was supposed to be. The hail mary was crap as well, Dennard wasn't guarding him from the start of the play.

Dennard shut Jeffrey down. He had what, 1 or 2 catches when Dennard was 1 on 1 with him? Whenever Dennard was forced to play a team strategy and share Jeffrey with others was when he got yards. Not impressed.

Thanks for bringing up something I complete forgot about....You want to see a safety that helps over the top in man watch Stafford. You want to see a safety who bites and leaves the corner exposed...watch the other guy.

I'm not even talking about in man. Dennard never needed help over the top when he was in man defense one on one. That streak route that went for 78 yards was a cover 2 zone, probably the least complex of any college defense. Nothing tricky or complex was going on. Cassidy (assuming it was him, don't really remember) was off in la-la land for the entire play, and apparently forgot what he was doing and didn't have inside help on the outside receiver. Dennard didn't really even try to jam, he funneled him right towards the middle like he was supposed to.

Actually, it was man coverage.

Dennard said Jeffery caught him out of focus on the big play.

“I kind of took the play off myself,” he said. “I usually put hands on him, but that time I put no hands on him. I usually put hands on him, but I tried to run side by side with him. I just lost my focus.”

http://nebraska.247s...-ejection-55356

The corner doesnt run side by side with the receiver in a cover 2 zone.

The corner jams and funnels to pass the receiver off to the safety....

Not sure what you were watching, but I saw a funnel and no safety to pick him up.

And wrong about Dennard in coverage on the hail mary? Yeah he was back there, but he didn't line up on Jeffery from the start. That's what I meant by that. Stanley Jean Baptiste lined up on Jeffery, as they are both gigantic.