Both fanbases have selected memory!!

X-posted at Cockytalk....

FWIW this is NOT a trolling post. It's posted with good intention...

So last night the baby was being extra fussy (we think his teeth are coming in), so I watched the game again from an "analytical" point of view without the emotion of game day. After reading both message board over the past two days, I came to the conclusion that we all have selective memories. I think the SC side is only remembering the good things and the Huskers are only remembering the bad things.

Here are a few things that I had "forgotten" due to all that happened later in the game. I've tried to post it in roughly chronological order from the game events.

1. On SC's first drive Connor Shaw overthrows a wide open Jeffery. That likely would have gone for 6 had they connected.

2. There was an early Nebraska offsides penalty on the 1 yard line that resulted in zero penalty yards.

3. On SC's first touchdown, it took them 3 tries from the 1 to punch it in.

4. On Nebraska's 2nd touchdown drive, USC had them stopped and forced a punt on 4th and 4. A facemask penalty on USC before the kick extended the drive and ultimately resulted in a Nebraska score.

5. On the play where Abudulla scored, Carolina only had 10 players on the field.

6. Late in the 1st, Gilmore gets beat and panics on an overthrown/uncatachable ball by Martinez and commits a pass interference penalty extending a Nebraska drive.

7. On Jeffery's long catch and run in the 2nd, the ball was over thrown by Shaw. Jeffery had to extend his body to catch it, and as a result stumbled. This allowed Dennard to close the couple of steps that Alshon had gotten on him. It was a big play, but that miscue by Shaw likely cost the gamecocks 6 points.

7. Nebraska's goal line stand and SC's inept play calling/mistakes late in the 2nd qt after Jeffery's long catch. The c$%ks had a costly delay of game penalty that moved the ball from the 1 back to the 6. The most likely also cost them 6 points.

8. Both Nebraska turnovers were basically in the Red zone. Gilmore's pic was on the 26, and that's close enough for me. The point is both were deep in Nebraska's end of the field.

9. The Gamecocks TOTALLY mismanaging the clock before the the hail mary. It worked out, but that was just poor play that could have made all the difference in the game.

10. One of Nebraska's O-line men, the guy guarding Clowney, got tangled up with him, and was shaken up in the 3rd and had to go out. For a few plays. This same O-line man was the same guy that got more than 1 movement call later in the game. I have nothing to support this, but I wonder if his bell was run, or whatever at that point.

11. QB play: Martinez was 2 for 3 in the 1st, while Connor Shaw was 1 for 3. In the 4th, Connor Shaw was 4 for 5 throwing the ball and Martinez was 1 for 2. Shaw was sacked twice in the 1st and had one run for no gain. Martinez was not sacked in the first and sacked 4 times in the 4th.

12. Burkhead had 5 catches for 35 yards. Good production from a running back.

13. Carolina only threw the ball once on the final drive.

Take away from this what you will. There was good and bad for both teams. I think there is a lot of good in there for the Nebraska fans that was lost in the final outcome. To me it says we remember what we want to, good or bad based on the outcome of the game...

Cheers,

L

• Fire 1

I can only speak from the Husker side, but we made so many mistakes that we definately helped defeat ourselves along with Carolina's great D-line play. It probably would've been a much better game had we not made so many mistakes, but such is life. We lost regardless, thanks for the info, it'll help put things into perspective for some of us.

From 2007 with 53 million views. That one's tired. Is that the best you've got???

An oldie, but a goodie. So you want MORE I take it?

Why are you still here? You guys won. You creamed us. Be gone!

Eh, if you're going to talk smack come on with stronger game than that... :)

Read the post. I think that even in the Husker loss, I found more than one bright spot from the game for you guys, things that were lost in the final score. That was kind of the point of the original post. I'm not here to rub salt in the wounds, if that's what you are implying. Just because our teams were opponents for one game, doesn't mean I can't still pull for you guys when we aren't playing. Ironically, reading the board these past couple of days/months, I think that the husker fans and gamecock fans have alot in common in the way we feel about our respective teams Change the colors and the names, and this board could easily be cockytalk...

Look at all the posts I've made since the game ended. I think you'll find I'm here to discuss the game of football, not just the Cap1b.

From 2007 with 53 million views. That one's tired. Is that the best you've got???

Do you say the same things about the other posters from different schools? This guy hasn't been bad at all.

And FWIW, that is the first time I've seen that video and its hilarious, but honestly, what do you expect from a pageant queen? Every answer (from every contestant) is bullsh#t and how we can solve world hunger and bring world peace.

Nebraska honestly should have won this football game. Our defense was playing probably the best it had the entire season (keeping the SC offense irrelevant most of the game), also our offense was constantly driving against the top 10 SEC defense whether pass or run, but of course made those critical mistakes with the Abdullah fumble and Martinez int. This Capital One Bowl should have been our 10th win of our first season in the B1G.

Did your wife cheat on you with a USC alum or what? Something had to cause you to be an a$$ the entire time since the bowls were announced. The majority of the USC fans have been more than respectful and brought good insight to the board.

Geez...... Lonnie Utah was not trying to flame, but only make a simple point..... and I think many of you missed the whole point of his post and got defensive.

It wasn't until #8 that there was really a negative for Nebraska. On the flip side, there were a LOT of negatives for the gamecock thru that stretch. The penalty I brought up in #2 was only to make the point that while it was technically a minus for Nebraska, it really didn't hurt the huskers that badly because it only moved the ball about a foot.

Geez...... Lonnie Utah was not trying to flame, but only make a simple point..... and I think many of you missed the whole point of his post and got defensive.

It wasn't until #8 that there was really a negative for Nebraska. On the flip side, there were a LOT of negatives for the gamecock thru that stretch. The penalty I brought up in #2 was only to make the point that while it was technically a minus for Nebraska, it really didn't hurt the huskers that badly because it only moved the ball about a foot.

Hey! #6 was pretty good too! An oldie, but a goodie.