Callahan's a LOSER

Apparently DJ, you are not tired of accepting moral victories like I am. They are 2-3 plays away from being 7-1? Or 8-0? Or, how about 4-4? If that Pitt field goal had not been blocked we would have lost and be 4-4 right now. Too many hypothetical scenarios. All I know is that we are 5-3, we beat a better Pitt team last year on the road and we have shown little improvement and will probably end up 6-5 or if we're lucky, 7-4. TT is not a real force to be reckoned with, they are simply pretty good. Texas put them in their place and showed them what it means to be a powerhouse. We got beat by a decent TT team that we should be beating every year. As for the coaching staff "knowing a ton more than any of us do", I say they are guilty until proven innocent. Let them prove they know more. Don't be afraid to post how you really feel. Once they prove themselves I will agree that they knew more all along but stop giving them the benefit of the doubt. Last year was the "benefit of the doubt year." Will next year be the same? Not for me. I want them to be challenged and prove themselves, not squeak by with poor wins.

I don't remember saying anything about moral victories. Stating the fact that the team has played better this season than last is optimistic and factual. Last year NU got slaughtered by an 8-4 TT team, this year TT is 7-1 and NU took them to the wire, FACT. Don't look now, but Pitt is 4-4 and only needs to beat WV to win the Big East, same thing happened last year. Better? I don't think so. Yes, lots of what if's, but the team is moving forward and you should too. No, I am not a sunshine pumper and think NU is going to win a national championship every year, but I look at this team this year and last and I notice a tremendous difference. And yes, these coaches know more than you or I, and I think that has already been proven. However dilusional you care to be about that subject is your prerogative.

Would one of you genius predictors please tell me now what games we are always suppose to win.

I keep reading games we should always win. Where is that written. How do you find these gimme games.

With your standards, Michigan, Notre Dame, USC, Alabama should never ever lose a game.

You play the games, there are no games anyone should always win. That crap is in the past. Hell TO lost many games he should have won, how do you explain that.

Talent, with out it you lose. We are an average team with average talent at this time.

We were at the bottom of the barrel. Quit living in the past, There is no god given right for Nebraska to win. We have to play the games, develop talent and work to win any game. Pairity is here. If you look at this terrible weak conference you will see that only two teams out of the whole conference have losing records. That is pretty damned good. Look at thing how they are not how you want them to be. Work to change them, but be willing to understand that it takes time.

We do not have a player that would start in any position at Texas, USC, VaTech, Miami, Florida State, Alabama, Georgia and a host more. Our 2nd and third teams would not make the team at most of the top 15. When you finally understand that then you will see progress.

First of all, the reason most teams in the Big 12 conference do not have losing records is because of all the D2 teams played. I think TT had the weakest nonconference schedule in the country. Baylor played some really weak teams in nonconference. NU did as well. KState always does. KU did. I mean CU and Texas are the only 2 teams that I recall even playing a ranked team in nonconference play.

I keep hearing how there's parity and how you need great athletes to win. I go back and look at high school because there should be as much parity in high school as anywhere else because coaches for the most part can't and don't recruit players. They simply get whoever goes to the school they coach. There is a team in Nebraska (Cambrige) who wins every year. Last night, they just made the semi's. They start 3 freshmen. They have around 25 kids out for football, and they still play 11 man. The school is so small they even qualify to play 8 man, but opted to stay 11 man. I'm not saying they win the championship this year, but they are one game away from the finals. They win each and every year. I've watched them with lesser talent than a lot of teams. They simply go out and win. How? They rarely make a mistake. They have very few penalties, and they rarely ever turn the ball over. Fundamentally, they are the soundest team I've ever seen. In the 90's, I believe they won 6 or 7 state titles. Fact is, they didn't have the best talent. They had the best coaching. Give me coaching over talent any day of the week!

You say we don't have any talent that would start for Texas, USC, etc. Isn't that the same song and dance you were selling last year? We had a DB who ran the fastest time ever recorded at the NFL combines. So, I guess what you're really saying is that USC and Texas could beat the NFL teams that drafted our players. Hogwash. If you believe that, I have some ocean front property in SW Nebraska I'd like to sell you!

The teams we shouldn't lose to are Iowa State. When Seneca Wallace was there, we should have lost. They were within 5 yards of beating the number 1 ranked Florida State Seminoles that year as well. Other than that, we should not lose to them. KU. It's been 37 years since they've beat us, and we should not lose to them. Baylor. They are the perennial bottom feeder of the Big 12. We should not lose to them. OSU. They had a couple of good years, but overall we should not lose to them. These are all teams we have like a 90+ winning percentage over, and none of them to this day are very good. We shouldn't lose to these teams, and if we do not very damn often!

News flash, NU has never and I reapeat NEVER been bottom of the barrel. In fact, I believe we were even ranked in the top 25 prior to BC. It has been said FS's recruiting classes were 40 and 42 the last two year's of his career at NU. That being said, don't you at least think we should have finished in the top 40 or 42 last year? We did not! One of the reason's no coach wanted to coach after FS was fired was because they didn't understand how a coach with a team ranked in the top 25 could be fired. The NU program wasn't as doom and gloom as you try to make it out to be. Unfortunately, we're getting a lot closer to doom and gloom now than we ever were in 2003!

BTW, Alabama is on probation. They only get like 60 or 70 percent of the scholarships that other D1 programs get. But, you're probably right. They should never lose a game! :sarcasm

Are you kidding me comparing some small school in Nebraska to D-1 football. Not the same thing if you ask me. I'll give you that coaching wins games more times then talent if you look at the High School level. But why is Millard North the best team in the state? They have the most talent. Not because the coach who finally one a state title two years ago is there.

Way to give ISU some credit. It can't possibly that maybe just maybe that program has turned around. Just because we beat up on them in the past we should always beat them? That is crap. We should always beat KSU then. I mean we didn't start losing to them until Solich became the head coach. So does that mean we should never win a bowl game or beat higher ranked teams? That is the way it used to be so we should never win those games.

Are you kidding me comparing some small school in Nebraska to D-1 football. Not the same thing if you ask me. I'll give you that coaching wins games more times then talent if you look at the High School level. But why is Millard North the best team in the state? They have the most talent. Not because the coach who finally one a state title two years ago is there.

Way to give ISU some credit. It can't possibly that maybe just maybe that program has turned around. Just because we beat up on them in the past we should always beat them? That is crap. We should always beat KSU then. I mean we didn't start losing to them until Solich became the head coach. So does that mean we should never win a bowl game or beat higher ranked teams? That is the way it used to be so we should never win those games.

Where exactly do you see ISU finishing in the north this year? I expect them towards the bottom with KU. Not really a turn around is it when none of the teams in the north are ranked, oh wait CU is 25th. I expect them to lose to KState this weekend and fight it out with KU for the bottom (that is if NU beats KU). ISU had one good year, and really that year they fell apart at the end of the season. Turn around? I don't think so! BTW, Iowa State is no KState. KState has made a BCS bowl, they had a shot and almost got to play for a national title, etc.

I used a high school team because you don't get much more parity than that. There is no contracts, there is no recruiting. The team with the most talent doesn't always win in high school sports. I can show numerous examples where a highly talented team in high school didn't even go .500. I guess we could also use the NFL. The Patriots are not the most talented team in the NFL, but whalaa they have won the most Super Bowls the last 5 years. If college has so much parity, let's compare it to where there already is parity. I don't think college has much parity.

I know nothing of Millard North, but I do know a little something about the coach and team at Papillion LaVista. Prior to his going there, they hadn't even had a winning season the previous 5 years. He comes in, and within 3 years wins a state title. I don't believe he's had a losing season. Yep, the talent just happened to come in when he took over coaching. Give me a break!

Are you kidding me comparing some small school in Nebraska to D-1 football.  Not the same thing if you ask me.  I'll give you that coaching wins games more times then talent if you look at the High School level.  But why is Millard North the best team in the state?  They have the most talent.  Not because the coach who finally one a state title two years ago is there.

Way to give ISU some credit.  It can't possibly that maybe just maybe that program has turned around.  Just because we beat up on them in the past we should always beat them?  That is crap.  We should always beat KSU then.  I mean we didn't start losing to them until Solich became the head coach.  So does that mean we should never win a bowl game or beat higher ranked teams?  That is the way it used to be so we should never win those games.

Where exactly do you see ISU finishing in the north this year? I expect them towards the bottom with KU. Not really a turn around is it when none of the teams in the north are ranked, oh wait CU is 25th. I expect them to lose to KState this weekend and fight it out with KU for the bottom (that is if NU beats KU). ISU had one good year, and really that year they fell apart at the end of the season. Turn around? I don't think so! BTW, Iowa State is no KState. KState has made a BCS bowl, they had a shot and almost got to play for a national title, etc.

I used a high school team because you don't get much more parity than that. There is no contracts, there is no recruiting. The team with the most talent doesn't always win in high school sports. I can show numerous examples where a highly talented team in high school didn't even go .500. I guess we could also use the NFL. The Patriots are not the most talented team in the NFL, but whalaa they have won the most Super Bowls the last 5 years. If college has so much parity, let's compare it to where there already is parity. I don't think college has much parity.

I know nothing of Millard North, but I do know a little something about the coach and team at Papillion LaVista. Prior to his going there, they hadn't even had a winning season the previous 5 years. He comes in, and within 3 years wins a state title. I don't believe he's had a losing season. Yep, the talent just happened to come in when he took over coaching. Give me a break!

I know about Millard North. And Newearthhusker mentioning it actually proves your point Junior. I went to Millard North and was actually there for a couple of years with Crouch. I was a senior when he took the starting job from a guy in my class as a sophomore. You are right when you say Millard North is talented. Even before Crouch there were enormously talented teams that should have been challenging for and winning state titles. They didn't even go to the playoffs all four years I was there. It's because Petito is a ridiculous coach. He's a good guy and all, but he can't gameplan or adjust and routinely got outcoached by teams with inferior talent. He couldn't even win a state championship with Crouch. A good coach would have won at least one, maybe two. He finally won one a couple of years ago. I didn't get a chance to see any games that season, but from what my brother told me, the team was just so ridiculously good and so far above everyone else that even Petito couldn't screw it up.

Yes, Millard North often has had the most talented team in the state over the past 10-15 years...but they have won the state title once and missed the playoffs many times. Talent...or coaching?

One thing that is going on is recruiting in high school. People actually move to play for a certain coach. Things have changed at that level too.

I think we have a great coach. I think we have inferrior talent to what we once had. But we also play in a much tougher conference than in the past. The big boys that recruit and do it every year are the ones that are winning the NC's period. The only exception was Ohio State the year they won. But they always have good recruiting classes.

Steve Spurrier is a coach to look at. He had great talent at Florida and was always in the hunt. He does not have the talent at SC and it is showing. If it was just coaching they should win pretty much every game in the SEC. I think he is the best coach overall in that conference.

It takes both. We had neither until BC got here. I do not know if BC is the greatest coach or will ever be considered a good Nebraska coach. I know he is working with his hands tied behind his back with talent. But the talent is moving up and I think his ability will show the closer he gets to what he wants.

It just takes time.

Where exactly do you see ISU finishing in the north this year?  I expect them towards the bottom with KU. 

Where will ISU place?? WHo knows?? :wtf Wait till the end of the season to see where EVERYONE places.

dedhoarsededhoarse Callahan is going nowhere people. IMO, you need to give him three more years. But realistically, he has at least two more years even IF the huskers don't improve much. dedhoarsededhoarse

If you two would of looked at my whole post I stated that coaching does win in high school. I guess though the High School football gods are looking down on us. Millard North with their tons of talent and average coaching :wacko: . Play Papio LaVista and their awesome coach and average talent :wacko: . I guess we will see which wins out in the end.

Why do you think ISU will lose to KSU? Just to help your arguement? If you can't see that ISU is a better program now then they were before McCarney then that's on you. :bang

Hey Utah why weren't you ever around when we were winning this year? You show up when we start to struggle. Just asking.

If you two would of looked at my whole post I stated that coaching does win in high school. I guess though the High School football gods are looking down on us. Millard North with their tons of talent and average coaching :wacko: . Play Papio LaVista and their awesome caoch and average talent :wacko: . I guess we will see which wins out in the end.

Why do you think ISU will lose to KSU? Just to help your arguement? If you can't see that ISU is a better program now then they were before McCarney then that's on you. :bang

Hey Utah why weren't you ever around when we were winning this year? You show up when we start to struggle. Just asking.

I wish my world was as happy and sugar-coated as yours.

Really, both Dailey and his HS coach said that he ran an offense similar to the WCO in high school. If you watch what Cotton does at ISU (remember, NU's previous O coord??) it surely doesnt look like option left, option right, qb draw.

do you really believe that barney cotton was calling the plays in '03? frank solich just gave him the title to quiet people down...it was obvious that frank was still calling plays b/c it was the same offense he had been running for the past 5 years.

Apparently DJ, you are not tired of accepting moral victories like I am. They are 2-3 plays away from being 7-1? Or 8-0? Or, how about 4-4? If that Pitt field goal had not been blocked we would have lost and be 4-4 right now. Too many hypothetical scenarios. All I know is that we are 5-3, we beat a better Pitt team last year on the road and we have shown little improvement and will probably end up 6-5 or if we're lucky, 7-4. TT is not a real force to be reckoned with, they are simply pretty good. Texas put them in their place and showed them what it means to be a powerhouse. We got beat by a decent TT team that we should be beating every year. As for the coaching staff "knowing a ton more than any of us do", I say they are guilty until proven innocent. Let them prove they know more. Don't be afraid to post how you really feel. Once they prove themselves I will agree that they knew more all along but stop giving them the benefit of the doubt. Last year was the "benefit of the doubt year." Will next year be the same? Not for me. I want them to be challenged and prove themselves, not squeak by with poor wins.

I don't remember saying anything about moral victories. Stating the fact that the team has played better this season than last is optimistic and factual. Last year NU got slaughtered by an 8-4 TT team, this year TT is 7-1 and NU took them to the wire, FACT. Don't look now, but Pitt is 4-4 and only needs to beat WV to win the Big East, same thing happened last year. Better? I don't think so. Yes, lots of what if's, but the team is moving forward and you should too. No, I am not a sunshine pumper and think NU is going to win a national championship every year, but I look at this team this year and last and I notice a tremendous difference. And yes, these coaches know more than you or I, and I think that has already been proven. However dilusional you care to be about that subject is your prerogative.

but I look at this team this year and last and I notice a tremendous difference.

A difference in what? About he only difference I've noticed is that we have a different QB. Sure I want us to get better but have we? No.

And yes, these coaches know more than you or I, and I think that has already been proven.

You want to explain how it has been proven? Was it by letting teams run up the score in the first half and almost catching up with them but never could? Seriously, if you can explain this I would like to know how it has been proven so I can judge for myself if it has. As of right now though, nothing has been proven except that we can mount a decent,inevitably futile comeback.

Really, both Dailey and his HS coach said that he ran an offense similar to the WCO in high school. If you watch what Cotton does at ISU (remember, NU's previous O coord??) it surely doesnt look like option left, option right, qb draw.

do you really believe that barney cotton was calling the plays in '03? frank solich just gave him the title to quiet people down...it was obvious that frank was still calling plays b/c it was the same offense he had been running for the past 5 years.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm giving FS the benefit of the doubt in regards to running the same plays and calling the plays. Jamal Lord was not the sharpest tool in the shed. I was told by some who were actually on the team that Barney couldn't open the play book up because Lord wasn't smart enough to run the plays, and Lord couldn't pass. Not being able to remember the plays and not being able to pass sure don't help if you're trying to open up a spread option offense. Did anyone ever notice that Lord when he audibled always audbled to an option play and he kept the ball? Again, I think Barney was waiting for a different QB before he opened up the playbook.

You want to explain how it has been proven? Seriously, if you can explain this I would like to know how it has been proven so I can judge for myself if it has.

Are you serious dude? This staff has mulitple Bowl Rings, Conference Championship Rings(NCAA & NFL) years of coaching experience. They are coaching a D1 school right now. Unless you have these things that should be proof enough.

I wish my world was as happy and sugar-coated as yours.

It's pretty easy dude. Find a great woman, have some wonderful kids. Enjoy what that lord blesses you with. Most of all don't take a game that YOU don't have ANY control over so seriously. Realize there are bigger things then Husker football. If you do these things you can enjoy the sugar coated life I live.

Back to the topic. Callahan is not a loser. :thumbs