I wish Callahan was still our HC

That's right, I said it.

I know it's an old argument, but word from an insider is he wasn't allowed to bring on a new/different DC. Had he been able to I would bet my house on our program being in better shape now.

After 2 seasons in a row now I don't have much opptunisim about the next season. That never happened w/ BC. What is there to be excited about for next year...or even for the next few years? Who is the QB coming up that will give us hope. I mean...TMart can still improve, but it's hard to get excited about. and I've been one of his supporters since day 1. BC had his faults, but he was making progress and he brought excellent talent to the program and was improving on his recruiting as years went by. His last full class was really good and the one he had in the works was excellent. If he just could/would have had a chance to revamp the D side and bring in a good DC. I blame his premature/short sighted firing on the many or at least vocal spoiled fans/players/boosters who IMO were close minded and a little to full of themselves. Now it will be virtually impossible to bring any any new HC is in high demand. It'll have to be a homer or younger guy which be an attempt and finding/praying for a diamond in the rough/up and comer. Us being so rigid and stubborn on our HC conforming to our "Nebraska way"(whatever that is...) and our tightness w/ paying coaches will see to this.

That all said, I guess it's easy to be excited about our young receivers...and hoping TMart works hard this off season and makes some big strides. He was just a sophomore this year afterall...

If BC was really a genius, he would have started Joe Ganz from the beginning, and it is possible he wouldn't have been fired. He didn't. And he did.

For some, hate is like a disease that spreads to everything it touches. Husker fans hate losing (duh) and seem to just want to hate on everything those loses touched.

Keller did everything he could to represent Nebraska well. Just because his injury forced Callahan to start Ganz who went on to become a record breaking fan favorite...doesn't mean you have to hate Keller.

I'll never hate a Husker coach or player. If they put on that uniform or walk the sidelines and try their best, they've earned my respect and gratitude. My appreciation isn't reserved for only the best players and coaches.

• Fire 1

I will go to my grave disagreeing with this. Keller was the better option for the offense we intended to run when the decision had to be made in August. Of course, the day Keller came in he was going to be declared the starter and everyone knew that, but he was better for the offense Callahan had in mind. Ganzy came in after Keller's injury and lit it up, but they changed things for him, adapted what they were doing to suit his skills, and basically let it all hang out. There are a lot of things I'll fault Callahan for, but the decision to start Keller won't be one of them. That was a decent football decision.

This is the quintessential example on why BC failed. His ability to use talent effectively was non-existent.

His stubborness in year one ended NU's bowl run. His blind loyalty to Keller, despite the clear signs that Ganz was not only 1A, but also a guy the team wanted to battle for, cost BC dearly.

You can try to say it was about offensive scheme, but even if that was true, it was clear in August camp that Ganz and Keller were neck & neck running that offense.

BC went with Keller's "on paper measurements" and it cost him.

It is a forgivable offense by itself, but for BC it was only the second to last example of poor personnel judgement (Not canning Cosgrove mid-way into the season was the other).

For some, hate is like a disease that spreads to everything it touches. Husker fans hate losing (duh) and seem to just want to hate on everything those loses touched.

Keller did everything he could to represent Nebraska well. Just because his injury forced Callahan to start Ganz who went on to become a record breaking fan favorite...doesn't mean you have to hate Keller.

I'll never hate a Husker coach or player. If they put on that uniform or walk the sidelines and try their best, they've earned my respect and gratitude. My appreciation isn't reserved for only the best players and coaches.

I don't hate Keller. Not at all. I just think starting him over Ganz was, and proved to be, a poor decision.

Yeah, the list of things Callahan did wrong is lengthy, and this is just one of them. But like I said, the decision to start Keller was cemented the day he agreed to come to Nebraska.

Yes, on that we agree, proof positive that you can't let recruits determine decisions (but as you say, it was a done deal).

Additionally, criticizing someone does not equal hate.

I criticize my brother all the time. I don't hate him. I love him.

That's right, I said it.

I know it's an old argument, but word from an insider is he wasn't allowed to bring on a new/different DC. Had he been able to I would bet my house on our program being in better shape now.

After 2 seasons in a row now I don't have much opptunisim about the next season. That never happened w/ BC. What is there to be excited about for next year...or even for the next few years? Who is the QB coming up that will give us hope. I mean...TMart can still improve, but it's hard to get excited about. and I've been one of his supporters since day 1. BC had his faults, but he was making progress and he brought excellent talent to the program and was improving on his recruiting as years went by. His last full class was really good and the one he had in the works was excellent. If he just could/would have had a chance to revamp the D side and bring in a good DC. I blame his premature/short sighted firing on the many or at least vocal spoiled fans/players/boosters who IMO were close minded and a little to full of themselves. Now it will be virtually impossible to bring any any new HC is in high demand. It'll have to be a homer or younger guy which be an attempt and finding/praying for a diamond in the rough/up and comer. Us being so rigid and stubborn on our HC conforming to our "Nebraska way"(whatever that is...) and our tightness w/ paying coaches will see to this.

That all said, I guess it's easy to be excited about our young receivers...and hoping TMart works hard this off season and makes some big strides. He was just a sophomore this year afterall...

I guess I don't understand why you don't have hope for next season. You wanted BC to get a new D coor well Bo just got one, and he'll probably do most of the job himself for a year or two. We just hired a D line coach that knows how to coach for B1G. Meredith is quickly eating himself into a DT and I'm ok with that. A D line with Ankrah, Stien, Meredith, and Martin with depth added by Rome and Williams and Carter. That's something I can get excited about. Our offense should continue to improve as Beck gets more experience calling plays and the players get more comfortable in the system.

I guess that the reason I love college football is the hope for the future. I'm very much a Kool-Aid drinker and hopefully always will be, the day I don't have hope for next season I'll stop paying attention.

That's right, I said it.

Everybody, EVERYBODY, hated Cosgrove. He was terrible. Why would Callahan be prohibited from bringing in a new DC? When Frank struggled, the NU inner circle strong-armed him into making wholesale staff changes. But you are saying NU treated Callahan differently? Why? That isn't even a good fabrication/excuse. It makes no sense at all. Whoever told you this is full of sh#t.

I saved most of my private messages from Huskerpedia.

To : cactusboy

Date : 2010-01-15 19:57

Title : Callahan Coaching Moves Pt. 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coach was prepared to fire Coach Cosgrove and as much of the defensive staff as the new guy wanted gone but was not allowed to do so because SP refused to spring for a competitive salary to bring a "good" DC to Lincoln. SP was only willing to pay something equal to Coz's salary, which was one of the lowest for a coordinator in the conference (I believe around $205k when this came up).

The big thing was the inclusion of Dave Kennedy on that staff. Callahan and SP both wanted him badly to start with, but after a few years, Coach wanted to go in a different direction. Coach Wyatt and Coach Wagner both had a meeting with Coach to raise their concerns over the S&C preparation of their lines and Coach listened and was ready to make a move. However, SP had worked with Kennedy at Pitt and felt that he was one of the best for the job and did not feel a change was necessary. Coach just accepted it and that was that. SP was right, Kennedy is arguably one of the best S&C coaches in the country, but not for what we were trying to do.

To : cactusboy

Date : 2010-01-15 23:37

Title : Callahan Coaching Moves Pt. 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything Kennedy preached started with burst, explosion off the ball. Which is great, but initial burst is not going to help you in after the first few seconds of a play and it certainly didn't help you 3 or 4 quarters into a game. So we got tired, we got dominated downfield and our linemen got pushed around after the initial burst off the ball. It is too bad too, because Coach Wyatt just got fired from Texas A&M (well, not officially fired, he saw the writing on the wall and left for KU) and he has the same complaints because the A&M S&C coach is none other than Dave Kennedy.

Obviously, Callahan is somewhat at fault for standing up and saying this is what I want and this is what we need to be successful. But I imagine that was not something he is used to coming from Oakland and Al Davis, so Pederson ran the show, spent the money on facilities and such without taking into account the product on the field.

You have to admit one thing, Billy C's offense could score points. The problem was with the defense. And, I might add, he recruited some top notch talent.

I have only agreed one time in my life with Lou Holtz. (Actually, I cannot stand the man.) That is when he said (referring to Bill Callahan's defense), "The most difficult thing for a head coach to do is to fire his friends, even if it costs him his job."

I do not think Bill Callahan was the man for Nebraska because he did not belong to this culture. He was a "no connect" to the fans and players. I wish Pelini could recruit the talent that Callahan had here because I believe he could coach them. Callahan could not.

Who?

Everybody we sent to the NFL in the last couple of years was a Billy C recruit. Not supporting this thread at all, but it's the truth.

You realize that has to be the case don't you? I mean Bo has only coached 4 years. The average player is in the system for 4-5 years so that means everyone graduating would likely be a BC recruit. Next year all of the guys going to the NFL will be people the current staff has recruited. And in two years . . .oh boy! Just wait and see.

That's right, I said it.

Lots of things were happening off the field as well. At the college level you need to be a mentor as well as a coach, that was not happening. Trainging wise, IIRC we were taking Mondays off (an NFL thing, where they work with personal trainers), this was given as reasons why we were falling aprt half way through games, no conditioning The virtual lock down in the AD offices (a Peddy issue, but still at the time). Not starting or maintaing realshships with past players... A hands off attitude towards current players. In the end a college coach is there not only on the field, but off to help guide kids into audlthood. I know most of that is dead as Disco, but it still hangs on in most programs, somewhat, and I think that was one of the big things Cally never understood, and why his kids didnt have the "Win one for the Gipper" mind set....

Funny, I just got a PM from the Secretary of Interior in the Congo, turns out I am an African prince!!!! Kinda strange since my ancestors are German Austrian, but you can't argue with the facts of the internet. I'm gonna be rich!!

Anybody got any experience wiring money? PM me.

• Fire 1