I wish Callahan was still our HC

That's right, I said it.

I know it's an old argument, but word from an insider is he wasn't allowed to bring on a new/different DC. Had he been able to I would bet my house on our program being in better shape now.

After 2 seasons in a row now I don't have much optimism about the next season. That never happened w/ BC. What is there to be excited about for next year...or even for the next few years? Who is the QB coming up that will give us hope. I mean...TMart can still improve, but it's hard to get excited about that...and I've been one of his supporters since day 1. BC had his faults, but he was making progress and he brought excellent talent to the program and was improving on his recruiting as years went by. His last full class was really good and the one he had in the works was excellent. If he just could/would have had a chance to revamp the D side and bring in a good DC. I blame his premature/short sighted firing on the many or at least vocal spoiled fans/players/boosters who IMO were close minded and a little too full of themselves. Now it will be virtually impossible to bring any any new HC that is in high demand. It'll have to be a homer or younger guy which will be an attempt at finding/praying for a diamond in the rough/up-n-comer. Us being so rigid and stubborn on our HC conforming to our "Nebraska way"(whatever that is...) and our tightness w/ paying coaches will see to this.

That all said, I guess it's easy to be excited about our young receivers...and hoping TMart works hard this off season and makes some big strides. He was just a sophomore this year afterall...

• Fire 2

That's right, I said it.

I know it's an old argument, but word from an insider is he wasn't allowed to bring on a new/different DC. Had he been able to I would bet my house on our program being in better shape now.

After 2 seasons in a row now I don't have much opptunisim about the next season. That never happened w/ BC. What is there to be excited about for next year...or even for the next few years? Who is the QB coming up that will give us hope. I mean...TMart can still improve, but it's hard to get excited about. and I've been one of his supporters since day 1. BC had his faults, but he was making progress and he brought excellent talent to the program and was improving on his recruiting as years went by. His last full class was really good and the one he had in the works was excellent. If he just could/would have had a chance to revamp the D side and bring in a good DC. I blame his premature/short sighted firing on the many or at least vocal spoiled fans/players/boosters who IMO were close minded and a little to full of themselves. Now it will be virtually impossible to bring any any new HC is in high demand. It'll have to be a homer or younger guy which be an attempt and finding/praying for a diamond in the rough/up and comer. Us being so rigid and stubborn on our HC conforming to our "Nebraska way"(whatever that is...) and our tightness w/ paying coaches will see to this.

That all said, I guess it's easy to be excited about our young receivers...and hoping TMart works hard this off season and makes some big strides. He was just a sophomore this year afterall...

I just don't have the words. This is the early leader in the clubhouse for 2012's most ridiculous thread.

You make some good points, but 2007 was an epic-level collapse. Not sure there was anything at all to be excited about after that.

A new DC (he wanted to get one) and that recruiting class would have been exciting to look forward too. A class that included Gabbert and 3 OL that have turned into studs. PLUS having Ganz coming back w/ most of the offense.

BTW - thanks for replying w/ something more than ridicule. :)

You have to admit one thing, Billy C's offense could score points. The problem was with the defense. And, I might add, he recruited some top notch talent.

I have only agreed one time in my life with Lou Holtz. (Actually, I cannot stand the man.) That is when he said (referring to Bill Callahan's defense), "The most difficult thing for a head coach to do is to fire his friends, even if it costs him his job."

I do not think Bill Callahan was the man for Nebraska because he did not belong to this culture. He was a "no connect" to the fans and players. I wish Pelini could recruit the talent that Callahan had here because I believe he could coach them. Callahan could not.

• Fire 2

I kept waiting for the punchline, like.."So we could fire his ass all over again"..Or maybe because we'd be doing bad enough record wise that we could fire our coach without scaring off better potential coaches.

Who in your make believe world would have stopped Callihan from firing Cos, or even wanted to (stop him) ?

Cosgrove was never a top tier DC, but much of the reason we were so bad on Defense was Callahan hogging most of the recruits to the Offense..At least that was the impression I got.

I never met him, but I almost always got the same impression of him that I got from seeing a politician or televangelist..That there was something really devious under the surface that would rear it's ugly head when you least expect it.

What did Cally really bring to the table? A really thick book that he'd memorized 15% of about an offense that was about a year or 3 away from being obsolete?

It seemed like he was coasting durring the regular season anticipating a playoff to turn it on in ...Which doesn't really work in Div.1 College ball yet

You have to admit one thing, Billy C's offense could score points. The problem was with the defense. And, I might add, he recruited some top notch talent.

I have only agreed one time in my life with Lou Holtz. (Actually, I cannot stand the man.) That is when he said (referring to Bill Callahan's defense), "The most difficult thing for a head coach to do is to fire his friends, even if it costs him his job."

I do not think Bill Callahan was the man for Nebraska because he did not belong to this culture. He was a "no connect" to the fans and players. I wish Pelini could recruit the talent that Callahan had here because I believe he could coach them. Callahan could not.

Who?

Six points against Missouri, 14 against Okie Lite, and 14 against Texas A&M. Offense definitely wasn't the problem that year, but those three games were still pathetic performances.

Cactusboy, you're quite clearly ignorant to the Bill Callahan era, and there's truly no nicer way to say it. The state was divided and in an uproar, our players flat out gave up on the season, there was little unity and the program was in shambles. There is no bone in my body that things Callahan remaining on as HC would have been a good thing. All that "talent" brought in was underutilized and poorly developed, and there's absolutely no argument to be made against that.

You're just wrong. Flat out, undeniably, inconceivably wrong about this.

• Fire 1

Who?

Everybody we sent to the NFL in the last couple of years was a Billy C recruit. Not supporting this thread at all, but it's the truth.

• Fire 1