NU Head Coaches - their first four years

knapplc

I think people remember the bad, more than the good, and I think BAD losses are a solid indicator of NU fans' current quandary with Bo.

So, using that theory:

Number of 20+ losses in first four years (I did this quickly):

BD -- 2

TO -- 2

FS -- 2

BC -- 8

BP -- 5

I don't think anything is more unpalatable than being uncomepetitive on the field. A loss is fine, if the team is competitive, but big losses are just ugly.

The 2 big losses to WI and MI this year, I think, are the basis for a great deal of the angst in NU fans' minds.

Very true. +1

I still can't belive you guys fired Solich

Trust me, I can't believe we did either. I say "we" because I believe the entire fan base had a part in all of that. Impatience and stupidity. Plus the man in charge of the athletic department was an absolute failure.

I see the point of this post and there's no debating the facts. Bo has done a pretty damn good job so far. It is okay to expect more of the same or maybe even some improvement though too isn't it? The University of Nebraska is about winning championships. I believe there was a Bo Pelini support poll on Huskerboard the other day. I thought I saw the voting at roughly 90-95% in support of coach Bo. So I guess the support Bo horse has been beaten nearly to smithereens. I'd say 95% is majority right?

Fact is we have won a lot of games. The unfortunate thing around here lately is that when we lose it's either by a large number of points or in some ugly form or fashion. Texas winning with 1 second left on the clock in a controversial call. Texas AnM, terrible roughing the passer call, ensuing sideline antics between Bo and Taylor. 17 point lead blown in Big 12 title losing to Oklahoma. Wisconsin, Michigan, and Northwestern this year. All ugly games. The loss to Texas in the Red Out Around the World game. Bo's head butting with local media. The South Carolina loss stung the fan base a bit. There's just been some ugly situations and tough losses to swallow. They have nearly drowned out the big wins and great breakthroughs this program has had. Fact is, this team has got to quit shooting itself in the foot. Bo Pelini has got to establish some level headedness and consistency amongst himself, his coaches and his players.

The future is bright if we can find a way to shine a light on some of the great things going on in this program instead of all the attention being poured on these tough situations that have been so prevalent over the last 4 years.

What automatic wins does Nebraska have now?

What automatic wins DO they have or SHOULD they have. This year Nebraska SHOULD have had automatic wins against UT Chat, Fresno State, Washington, Wyoming, Minnesota, Northwestern. That is 6 auto wins and Im tempted to include Iowa in there to make it 7 cause I really don't think they are very good. When you are at the level of program Nebraska is, their auto wins in the B1G should be, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue. We should be able to beat these 6 teams at about a 95% rate. Meaning they could upset u maybe 1 in 20 games. I think we should be able to beat the other 5 teams in the league at around a 60% rate.

• Fire 1

I still can't belive you guys fired Solich

Trust me, I can't believe we did either. I say "we" because I believe the entire fan base had a part in all of that. Impatience and stupidity. Plus the man in charge of the athletic department was an absolute failure.

I see the point of this post and there's no debating the facts. Bo has done a pretty damn good job so far. It is okay to expect more of the same or maybe even some improvement though too isn't it? The University of Nebraska is about winning championships. I believe there was a Bo Pelini support poll on Huskerboard the other day. I thought I saw the voting at roughly 90-95% in support of coach Bo. So I guess the support Bo horse has been beaten nearly to smithereens. I'd say 95% is majority right?

Fact is we have won a lot of games. The unfortunate thing around here lately is that when we lose it's either by a large number of points or in some ugly form or fashion. Texas winning with 1 second left on the clock in a controversial call. Texas AnM, terrible roughing the passer call, ensuing sideline antics between Bo and Taylor. 17 point lead blown in Big 12 title losing to Oklahoma. Wisconsin, Michigan, and Northwestern this year. All ugly games. The loss to Texas in the Red Out Around the World game. Bo's head butting with local media. The South Carolina loss stung the fan base a bit. There's just been some ugly situations and tough losses to swallow. They have nearly drowned out the big wins and great breakthroughs this program has had. Fact is, this team has got to quit shooting itself in the foot. Bo Pelini has got to establish some level headedness and consistency amongst himself, his coaches and his players.

The future is bright if we can find a way to shine a light on some of the great things going on in this program instead of all the attention being poured on these tough situations that have been so prevalent over the last 4 years.

And.... what are those "great things going on in this program"?

Graduating players? Not getting 3 guys arrested in a 2 weeks span?

Hello, I have news for you: Those are the bare friggin expectations even at programs like North Dakota. Cally, Solich, TO, Bob all did well in those areas too.

At a place like NEBRASKA, the standards are a little higher. And at $3mill, the stakes are higher.

The ONLY thing that will ensure that NU dives head first into it's current tail spin of being a mediocre program is fans who accept mediocrity. And if the ticket sales at the bowl were any indication, we're farther along than I even thought.

This is one of the sadest times of me being a Husker fan. I never thought that day would come but I'm slowing losing my enthusiasm as a fan..... I find myself now watching more NFL... I watch games like Oregon/WI as if I had dog in the fight. Maybe it's my inner being wanting to watch some good football.....IDK.... but I've NEVER felt this way even during 2007 (bec. I knew Cally was gone). There are SO MANY things broken with this program that hearing TO come out and say "he likes the chemistry" (or whatever other bologna he's selling) makes me really wonder how did it all get so bad so fast.......

And if the ticket sales at the bowl were any indication, we're farther along than I even thought.

The economy had far more to do with poor ticket sales than anything else.

This is one of the sadest times of me being a Husker fan. I never thought that day would come but I'm slowing losing my enthusiasm as a fan..... I find myself now watching more NFL... I watch games like Oregon/WI as if I had dog in the fight. Maybe it's my inner being wanting to watch some good football.....IDK.... but I've NEVER felt this way even during 2007 (bec. I knew Cally was gone)

Wow. I hope this is hyperbole, because if you really think we're worse off now than we were at any time during the Callahan years, your perspective is way off.

And if the ticket sales at the bowl were any indication, we're farther along than I even thought.

This is one of the sadest times of me being a Husker fan. I never thought that day would come but I'm slowing losing my enthusiasm as a fan..... I find myself now watching more NFL... I watch games like Oregon/WI as if I had dog in the fight. Maybe it's my inner being wanting to watch some good football.....IDK.... but I've NEVER felt this way even during 2007 (bec. I knew Cally was gone)

Wow. I hope this is hyperbole, because if you really think we're worse off now than we were at any time during the Callahan years, your perspective is way off.

The "economy"?

Husker fans were never stopped by Tsunami's but now the economy is in the way.....Whatever.

Yes, 2007 was worse. DUH!

But TO was not in the house. Cally had no backing (and who cares, he sucked). Pederson was the devil. The big difference is we KNEW what was broken.

Now, it's a disaster from top to bottom. I question TO's ability to hire a coach. I question TO's exact definition of "things are going well". I question what exactly is TO's definition of a successful program (see BBall and Baseball aside from football).....I question Bo's basic abilities as a HC AND a DC. Yes I don't think Bo is the genius DC some think he is. You want to see great DC's - go check Michigan, South Carolina, LSU, Bama. Heck even Oregon and WI have better defenses than NU and I don't see any need for that fancy Peso junk that Bo has trade marked. After watching the bowl season and seeing what real football looks like I've gone out and bought the biggest face palm contraption I could get my hands on.

You can drink all the KA you want. I'm off the Bo bus.

And in case you still think this is "hyperbole", go back and re-read the first part of Shatel's article where he talks about Husker angst: http://www.omaha.com/article/20120107/BIGRED/701079799

A little farther into the first four years, These are records against top 15 programs, where I set the elite category, which I think is a little low, but it is what it is.

Bob Devaney 2-3

Tom Osborne 6-6

Frank Solich 5-5

Bo Pelini 3-8

Devaney had nothing to start with and faced a very easy schedule compared to the others. Bo did not have the best to start with by any means, but it is an established program.

These results are from Huskers.com.

"There's angst and there's over-the-top silliness".

Right.

And you are the genius who knows how to differentiate betw. the 2. Great. So now 90% of Husker fans are over reacting morons while there is a silent 10% like you who see the brilliant light at the end of the Bo tunnel

• Fire 1

"There's angst and there's over-the-top silliness".

Right.

And you are the genius who knows how to differentiate betw. the 2. Great. So now 90% of Husker fans are over reacting morons while there is a silent 10% like you who see the brilliant light at the end of the Bo tunnel

When you say nonsense like, "It's a disaster from top to bottom," you do not represent the 90%. Sorry to break that to you.

• Fire 1

The "economy"?

Husker fans were never stopped by Tsunami's but now the economy is in the way.....Whatever.

Yes, 2007 was worse. DUH!

But TO was not in the house. Cally had no backing (and who cares, he sucked). Pederson was the devil. The big difference is we KNEW what was broken.

Now, it's a disaster from top to bottom. I question TO's ability to hire a coach. I question TO's exact definition of "things are going well". I question what exactly is TO's definition of a successful program (see BBall and Baseball aside from football).....I question Bo's basic abilities as a HC AND a DC. Yes I don't think Bo is the genius DC some think he is. You want to see great DC's - go check Michigan, South Carolina, LSU, Bama. Heck even Oregon and WI have better defenses than NU and I don't see any need for that fancy Peso junk that Bo has trade marked. After watching the bowl season and seeing what real football looks like I've gone out and bought the biggest face palm contraption I could get my hands on.

You can drink all the KA you want. I'm off the Bo bus.

And in case you still think this is "hyperbole", go back and re-read the first part of Shatel's article where he talks about Husker angst: http://www.omaha.com...IGRED/701079799

I would be more concerned if it wasn't a trend nationally. There have been multiple stories about how games have suffered.

Junior, if you feel that is true, what is the justification of keeping a 3-8 coach. Not saying I want that by any means. I just want people to look at things as they are, not how they think they are or want them to be. There are problems here, can they be fixed is the question.