Bo on the Sidelines

I remember being at the Bill Callahan's only appearance in the Big 12 champ game and being so jealous of the excitement on the OU sideline. Our sideline showed no emotion, while OU's would jump around when all they got was a first down. I will always take a passionate coach who yells and celebrates over the alternative. It gets the best of us sometimes, like the bowl game, but it's more positive than negative across the entire season. It could do without Bo's blow ups at refs sometimes.

I'm sorry - win/lose I am not going to excuse the behavior anymore. I was yelling at the TV while it was happening - before we'd lost the game. It's just no right to me. It's wasted effort. Pointless. Detrimental. I just can't agree with it. Maybe some can. I crossed that point sometime during the SC game.

What's weird is that you're doing here what you get mad at Bo for doing in the game. You are way overreacting to the situation with a wild analogy. You even admitted it when you said you knew plenty of people would disagree with you for that analogy. So how is your overreaction any different than Pelini's?

^ he did just have an outburst similar to Virginia Tech though - and almost on par with Texas A&M...not quite at the level of Texas. I gave him plenty of credit throughout the season. I certainly thought he had calmed down. He was handling himself like a CEO each week - with Penn State being one of the higher points of his HC career from that aspect.

But the point is...after 55+ games...his last one still included and outburst as extreme as his 5th one. So while he maybe be able to make it through most of a season, he still can't make it through an entire season. And with each outburst he digs the hole deaper and deaper.

Pelini had a fresh start this year in the Big10. I think he saw that, and that's likely why we saw the outburst in the bowl game rather than in one of our conference games. He knew he was starting to get screwed over in the Big12, and he changed. But everything he gained during the season...was lost over a single blow up.

It's pretty obvoius there were so many factors other than Bo's demeanor that was leading to some biased officiating against Nebraska in 2010. Bo losing obviously didnt help none, but it didnt what did, things were going to go the way they did, and quite frankly I'm shocked we had it as good as we did. The Big 12 title game was shockingly decent officiating wize.

I'm sorry - win/lose I am not going to excuse the behavior anymore. I was yelling at the TV while it was happening - before we'd lost the game. It's just no right to me. It's wasted effort. Pointless. Detrimental. I just can't agree with it. Maybe some can. I crossed that point sometime during the SC game.

What's weird is that you're doing here what you get mad at Bo for doing in the game. You are way overreacting to the situation with a wild analogy. You even admitted it when you said you knew plenty of people would disagree with you for that analogy. So how is your overreaction any different than Pelini's?

Mine isn't seen by 15 million people - and I don't represent the University/state?

• Fire 1

I read so many things on here that yell lack of perspective, but this is just :facepalm: . I understand the point you're trying to make, but man are you way off in your effort. Same ballpark? I wouldnt call it the same country

I knew plenty would disagree w/ me in regards to that. But honestly, what's the difference? Both are ways we excuse unacceptable behavior in an effort to make it acceptable to us.

Which is why I wanted to make it clear that I do understand the concept youre trying to explain. And at least you understand that it was a bad use of comparison.

you found an article (or really a blog) in support of Bo's sideline antics? That must have taken you half the night. "A" perspective from the outside = proper subtitle. It's certainly not the predominant opinion on the matter.

i'm w/ a few of you on here - if his "passion" inspires the players, motivates them, etc...then I'm all for it. But is that when his "passion" shows? Is that the "passion" people have an issue with? Or is it the "passion" he shows when adversity kicks him in the teeth? I'm going to go w/ the latter. You can say he's showing the players he's got their back - but that can be simply done w/ a quick "wasn't your fault kid" comment on the sidelines.

Unfortunately Bo's "passion" we discuss is rarely on display when we're winning, or leading a comeback drive, or just had a great defensive stand. No, this "passion" everyone supports is shown time and again after a bad call. This "passion" is rarely directed at players but instead the refs. Is he trying to motivate the refs too? This "passion" is also reserved for the media. In fact, this "passion" isn't passion at all - it's and emotional roller coaster that falls somewhere between anger and rage. Don't confuse that "passion" for the passion he shows towards his players. They are not one in the same. No one has a problem w/ passion - but some of us have a problem w/ Bo's sideline antics.

Calling it passion is excusing his issues, much in the same way calling it love is the way a wife excuses her husband's occasional beatings.

Bo getting pissed off at refs is in the same ballpark as an abused wife justifying spouse abuse. Way to go full retard, man.

I read so many things on here that yell lack of perspective, but this is just :facepalm: . I understand the point you're trying to make, but man are you way off in your effort. Same ballpark? I wouldnt call it the same country.

Anyway..

People want to criticize his behavior and so on and use it as an excuse (not a reason, and EXCUSE) for why this team is getting beat or things turn south. Here's some numbers. So many were so riled up after the bowl loss about us being 10-7 in our last 17 games. But think about this. Everybody knows Bo has tuned it down subtantially after the A&M game last year, and that's when this little skid began. Before that? We won 15 of 17, with Bo supposedly in excessive maniac mode. So it can be suggested that the team is better of with Bo acting the way he used to on an overall basis.

I don't think you meant to quote me did you? It seems like you're talking to kchusker-chris not me.

Yes, you are correct.

Mine isn't seen by 15 million people - and I don't represent the University/state?

So do as I say not as I do.

Pay me 3 million I'll keep my temper under control throughout the game - guarenteed. Heck, I'll give you a discount at 1 million, and still no yell.

Pay me 3 million I'll keep my temper under control throughout the game - guarenteed. Heck, I'll give you a discount at 1 million, and still no yell.

So Bo is supposed to essentially castrate himself in order to please a few fans that are too soft to realize that sometimes the greatest coaches need to be animated. This entire discussion is ridiculous! Why would you want to change a major part of Bo when his attitude and his fire is one of the huge reasons why he has been so successful as a coach?!?! I don't get it!!! It's like when you're in a relationship, maybe your significant other does a thing or two that maybe you are not particularly fond of, but you can't micromanage it and try to get them to change. If you try to do that, your relationship will snowball on you and it won't work out. It's the same deal in this situation. If people continue to try and immasculate Bo and take away such a huge part of who he is, then his performance on the job will suffer because of it. I don't blame Bo for being stubborn. It's his team, and he knows a lot better than you or me what it takes to be successful, so back off and let him do his freakin' job!

• Fire 1

So Bo is supposed to essentially castrate himself in order to please a few fans that are too soft to realize that sometimes the greatest coaches need to be animated. This entire discussion is ridiculous! Why would you want to change a major part of Bo when his attitude and his fire is one of the huge reasons why he has been so successful as a coach?!?! I don't get it!!! It's like when you're in a relationship, maybe your significant other does a thing or two that maybe you are not particularly fond of, but you can't micromanage it and try to get them to change. If you try to do that, your relationship will snowball on you and it won't work out. It's the same deal in this situation. If people continue to try and immasculate Bo and take away such a huge part of who he is, then his performance on the job will suffer because of it. I don't blame Bo for being stubborn. It's his team, and he knows a lot better than you or me what it takes to be successful, so back off and let him do his freakin' job!

I don't think my opinions here impact how he does his job at all - so me "backing off" likely has no baring on anything. And since it's a forum fueled by opinions I'll continue to give mine - whether they match yours or not matters little to me.

I do not feel Bo's sideline tirades represent the university in the way it should be represented. Call it soft if you want. (again...I am compartmentalizing the tirades from the rest of his coaching) Some have no issue with them. I feel some devalue the importance of that representation. As a fan, it's probably more important to me than the wins/losses. I feel pretty damn good wearing my Husker gear to work. After the A&M game...not so much. After the USC game, not so much. But that's me, that's my opinion. Not everyone agrees. It's a forum, you're entitled to disagree. Enjoy!

I don't think my opinions here impact how he does his job at all - so me "backing off" likely has no baring on anything. And since it's a forum fueled by opinions I'll continue to give mine - whether they match yours or not matters little to me.

I do not feel Bo's sideline tirades represent the university in the way it should be represented. Call it soft if you want. (again...I am compartmentalizing the tirades from the rest of his coaching) Some have no issue with them. I feel some devalue the importance of that representation. As a fan, it's probably more important to me than the wins/losses. I feel pretty damn good wearing my Husker gear to work. After the A&M game...not so much. After the USC game, not so much. But that's me, that's my opinion. Not everyone agrees. It's a forum, you're entitled to disagree. Enjoy!

I understand what you're saying. I just hate the fact that we live in a soft, tree hugging country that expects things like that out of coaches of a division 1 college football coach. If Bo wants to be fired up, let him be fired up. Let him be passionate. Whatever it takes for him to do his job to the best of his ability and get this team back to winning championships, which is where I think it is headed with Bo's leadership... Which is why I will find it hard to watch Nebraska football if Bo wins 9 games again next year and gets run out of town. I am a true die hard, but if fans and boosters are going to be that unreasonable, it would make it extremely hard to watch my team for a little while...

• Fire 1

BS eyeswear2allthatsholy