Bo on the Sidelines

There is a camera on each coach the whole game. And then as soon as the producer sees Bo having a tirade they switch it to that camera. Fair or not that's why it seems like they only show him when he's blowing up.

So then my question to you is...how come we didn't see Washington's D coordinator throwing a sh*t fit during the Washington game?

They did, a little, adn then Mcdoosha and Millen proceed to explain that he had a right to be angry. :blink:

The original blog poster is my brother. And he's not an outsider.

I think one thing is lost in his question to Rittenburg is since most of US would agree that Bo has calmed down a bit, why is it necessary for the TV announcers, cameras, and others to show him precisely when a bad call is taking place?basically, will the talking heads ever let him live it down?

Such as, they show Bo frustrated over a picked up flag on a block in the back and a completely BS interference call, THEN when their guy slams our guy to the ground with a cheap shot (and no call) they finally show Bo lose it and come back after commercial and show A REPLAY of Bo yelling at the ref, BUT NOT THE NON-CALL he was yelling about, well that just almost screams "agenda" by the TV people.

Furthermore, I'll take Bo in volcano mode any day over Clownahan. That guy acted like he was playing chess.

And you know what else? Screw what other people 'think' about Bo, Skers! I could give a rats butt what some douche in Ohio thinks about Bo. we are not in the living rooms with recruits and Bo. We are not in the locker room. We are not in Bos office when a kid is in there heartbroken and homesick. Bo is a family guy and his players love him.

Damn, this is a game for men. Take off the pantys and grow a sac.

Careful, i said basically this same thing in an earlier post and got some cornhole explaining to me about public perception and marketing and yadda yadda yadda and how you have to worry about what others think. Well i dont and can guarantee I'm a hell of a lot better than a lot of people who do. Stick to your guns, do what you believe, and dont let anyone sway what you believe.

Well I was recruited. I sat with coaches at half a dozen schools. They called me on the phone. They sent highlight tapes. They sweet talked, they blew smoke and SOME of them talked sh#t on other coaches.

It took about 2 seconds to know the truth about that program when one coach says, "you know coach C over at State is a real mean son of a bitch" and the coach he was talking about tells me straight to my face, "at practices and game days, I can be a real mean son of a bitch. But in the locker room and in my office, I'll love ya like a son. I want what's best for you and I'll push you to your limit. You'll compete everyday and you'll have to earn everything".

Guess where I chose? Guess how good we were? Guess what 'other people' said about us?

Nobody, even as much as we THINK WE DESERVE IT, matters one damn bit to the players and coaches on that team. Especially when they win 9-10 games a year, have a team GPA 3.0, and ARE getting better.

Does bo need to grow and win somethin? Hell yeah! Does he care one friggin bit what we think? Hell no! Get over yourselves.

• Fire 2

I found this perspective refreshing (and it has been mentioned here too) especially since the writer is from Fort Collins, COLORADO. What do you think of Rittenberg's response?

Clayton from Fort Collins, Colo., writes: Adam -- Thanks for your article regarding coaches sideline demeanor. It would be fun to see you and Brian have a "blog blow-up" once in a while! All jokes aside, I get tired of hearing people rant about Bo Pelini's sideline behavior. As a former college football player, I feel strongly that a passionate coach is not uncommon and actually appreciated by the players. Nebraska fans too soon forget how reserved and soft Bill Calhahan was, almost as though he didn't care enough. Bo had his issue at A&M in 2010, had a very professional apology, and has sense cleaned up his act. Can we put it to bed or are we going to keep talking about this? "cue TV panning to BO getting all red faced and mad on the sideline, chomping his gum"

Adam Rittenberg: Clayton, thanks for your perspective. It's always interesting to ask how a coach's sideline behavior affects his team. Sometimes it certainly seems to fire up players in the right way. Other times, it seems like a coach who seems out of control leads to a team playing a bit recklessly. While I see your point about Pelini's issue at A&M being in the past, I don't think he'll be able to avoid the cameras on the sideline. No coach really escapes them these days, and TV folks are looking for reactions. I think Bo seemed calmer for the most part this season, although he was none too pleased, for obvious reasons, in the Capital One Bowl loss. While I don't believe a coach has to stomp around and scream at officials to show he cares more, I think players want to see some response from the man leading them

(espnu B1G blog: http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

Interesting that he said the bolded- it almost seems like he is saying we were getting screwed by the refs. There were some bad calls/ no calls but at some point you just got to let it go and try to win the next down.

It surprised me too! (hence putting it in bold)

you found an article (or really a blog) in support of Bo's sideline antics? That must have taken you half the night. "A" perspective from the outside = proper subtitle. It's certainly not the predominant opinion on the matter. i'm w/ a few of you on here - if his "passion" inspires the players, motivates them, etc...then I'm all for it. But is that when his "passion" shows? Is that the "passion" people have an issue with? Or is it the "passion" he shows when adversity kicks him in the teeth? I'm going to go w/ the latter. You can say he's showing the players he's got their back - but that can be simply done w/ a quick "wasn't your fault kid" comment on the sidelines. Unfortunately Bo's "passion" we discuss is rarely on display when we're winning, or leading a comeback drive, or just had a great defensive stand. No, this "passion" everyone supports is shown time and again after a bad call. This "passion" is rarely directed at players but instead the refs. Is he trying to motivate the refs too? This "passion" is also reserved for the media. In fact, this "passion" isn't passion at all - it's and emotional roller coaster that falls somewhere between anger and rage. Don't confuse that "passion" for the passion he shows towards his players. They are not one in the same. No one has a problem w/ passion - but some of us have a problem w/ Bo's sideline antics. Calling it passion is excusing his issues, much in the same way calling it love is the way a wife excuses her husband's occasional beatings.

Actually, it took me all of 5 minutes. It was on that particular days' blog from espnu B1G blog. I found some of your comments interesting. Such as:

1. It's certainly not the predominant opinion on the matter: According to whom? Is this your opinion? And that's fine if it is, we're all entitled to share our opinions. If not, what criterion are you basing this observation? I'm originally from Missouri. When I talk with my friends from there about football, no one says anything about Bo's 'sideline demeanor. Ditto when talking with people from Florida or Colorado.

2. This "passion" is also reserved for the media: No, the media reserves their reporting of it to when Bo displays these expressions. That's blatantly obvious.

3. Don't confuse that "passion" for the passion he shows towards his players. They are not one in the same: Again, according to whom? If this is your opinion, that's fine, but if it's not, what criterion are you basing this observation?

Do you think that you might be biased in reviewing this post because you're not a Bo fan? Just as I may be biased to find good things about him from people not from Nebraska because I am a Bo fan? Just curious. :)

• Fire 1

His bowl game referee chewing wasn't as bad as people are saying. If you think so then we're just going to have to agree to disagree. If you think he lost everything in one angry reaction to some really bad calls, you were never going to see it any different.

He lost me. I was a Bo supporter (still am in other regards), one of those people that thought he'd changed (or could change). I was seeing it different 10 weeks ago. I excused his behavior as passion. Tollerated it with the wins. Defended him as best I could. Not any more. He has no excuse IMO. It's not acceptable. It needs to change. It can't happen - and we can't be successful so long as it continues to. The margin for error is just too small. When you're a 25ish ranked team you can still get your 9 wins w/ that going against you. When you're a top 5 team...that might be the margin of difference in a game.

Now, don't confuse my opinion of this aspect of Bo...with my opinion of his coaching ability or fit for this program. I support Bo there, I want him to be here. I dont' agree w/ some of his staff decisions, and am strongly against his sideline tirades. But I like the guy as our coach. I just don't like being embarassed he's our coach once or twice a season.

I'm glad you said this. This changes my opinion about your opinions very much. Thanks for sharing this because I was starting to believe that you just didn't like him. I still hope you will respond to my earlier post though. I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from. :)

I suggest some go to the other boards and ask what is thought of Bo. I did when we were told he would replace Les if he went to Michigan. They were not excited about having the "nut job as their head coach". That was the general comment at the time. I think this was after the A&M game, not sure. I even posted it at the time, to dispell the Bo is leaving travesty.

But it would be interesting to know what fan bases think about him.

I was actually going to do that awhile back when I was battling with the other half over this.

That might give us a better knowledge of what is thought of Bo and the program, so this could be settled.

I think it's a pretty good assumption that there is a negative view on Pelini throughtout the country. If not, then we wouldnt be having this discussion in the first place. Bo has brought a little on himself, but overall, his actions have been escalated and singled out by national media, IMHO.

But is that assumption based on what people really know or simply an attitude developed by what the media shows? I think that is what bugs me. We know why Bo yelled at those refs at the Cap One Bowl. But others around the nation only know what the media shows them.

Did this thread get renamed or am I having a Deja vu moment??? Been discussed already to death!!!!

Neither. I found a blog entry on the espnu football B1G blog where someone from Fort Collins, CO wrote in about Bo's 'sideline demeanor' and it was positive. I liked it so wanted to share it on the board for those of us who don't believe that 'everyone' thinks Bo is a 'nut job' or worse. It was just refreshing to hear a positive comment from someone from the outside.

The original blog poster is my brother. And he's not an outsider.

I think one thing is lost in his question to Rittenburg is since most of US would agree that Bo has calmed down a bit, why is it necessary for the TV announcers, cameras, and others to show him precisely when a bad call is taking place?basically, will the talking heads ever let him live it down?

Such as, they show Bo frustrated over a picked up flag on a block in the back and a completely BS interference call, THEN when their guy slams our guy to the ground with a cheap shot (and no call) they finally show Bo lose it and come back after commercial and show A REPLAY of Bo yelling at the ref, BUT NOT THE NON-CALL he was yelling about, well that just almost screams "agenda" by the TV people.

Furthermore, I'll take Bo in volcano mode any day over Clownahan. That guy acted like he was playing chess.

And you know what else? Screw what other people 'think' about Bo, Skers! I could give a rats butt what some douche in Ohio thinks about Bo. we are not in the living rooms with recruits and Bo. We are not in the locker room. We are not in Bos office when a kid is in there heartbroken and homesick. Bo is a family guy and his players love him.

Damn, this is a game for men. Take off the pantys and grow a sac.

Thanks for sharing! No offense in calling your brother an 'outsider'. I just thought: "Ahhh! Someone not here in Nebraska thinks our coach is ok!' I still think it's refreshing whether he's a Husker fan living in CO (my daughter is too! :)) or a CO who just likes good football. :)