Bo on the Sidelines

Finally someone gets what I have been trying to get accross. We have no idea what is possible any longer, I hope Knapplc is right, but for me there is very little certainty anymore with the way the PC tragedy works.

Between lawyers and hurt feelings/PC movement, the world is a changed place from the days of Devaney. Not for the better overall, in my opinion. I don't know if I'm right, but I tend to post like my grandpa taught me to shoot pool - "Hit it hard and yell sh#t!" If I'm wrong, I'm not gong to be wrong coming across like a pansy. :D

Finally someone gets what I have been trying to get accross. We have no idea what is possible any longer, I hope Knapplc is right, but for me there is very little certainty anymore with the way the PC tragedy works.

Between lawyers and hurt feelings/PC movement, the world is a changed place from the days of Devaney. Not for the better overall, in my opinion. I don't know if I'm right, but I tend to post like my grandpa taught me to shoot pool - "Hit it hard and yell sh#t!" If I'm wrong, I'm not gong to be wrong coming across like a pansy. :D

we wouldn't expect anything less from you Knapp!

Pelini is not going to get fired because he yells on the sidelines. He'll get talked to about his demeanor, but he will not get fired. You don't fire a coach because he yells. Try it and you may as well fold up the football team because you'll never, ever get another coach worth half a damn to come here.

All this talk about ultimatums and firings and whatnot is just crazy. People are upset about and just want to vent, fine, but the more outrageous we get in these threads the sillier it becomes. Nobody likes that we lose. Nobody likes how we lose. Nobody thinks Pelini is fine the way he is. Everybody wants things to be better.

Welcome to the same feeling that every team not from Tuscaloosa feels right now.

Exactly. If we were to fire Bo for his "antics" on the sideline, we not only would be losing a very good, passionate coach, but we would also be setting a precedent for the next man to take over. Why would any coach want to come to a University that is so uptight with their head coach's behavior on the sideline?

It would not only be a mistake in the short term, but the long term as well.

we wouldn't expect anything less from you Knapp!

Yeah, I'm relatively easy to pigeonhole. Not a lot of mystery in my posting style. But in general I like all of the HuskerBoard members, so if I come across too strongly, it's not intentional. It's more a writing style than true jerkiness.

the notion of 'pc' is such a straw-man, but gd, why are we talking about bo's demeanor. other than having the ugliest, most psychotic face when his is mad, what has he done? he is yelling in stadiums with tens of thousands of people, of course he is yelling and looking angry to get his point across. who cares? he looks like a psychopath, we all know he is not. it is just his personality, and until someone demonstrates how it is hurting anything, this conversation should be laid (or is it lain? laid) to rest.

the most frustrating part is announcers and espn obsessing over it, but that is what they do.

the most frustrating part is announcers and espn obsessing over it, but that is what they do.

To me, the most frustrating part is that Joe Husker Fan takes their cue from those announcers, and think what they think.

Sure, I know, everyone responding on HuskerBoard is a free-thinker who makes their own opinions. We all know that's the answer coming, and yes, I believe you. I'm talking about those other guys.

To me, the most frustrating part is that Joe Husker Fan takes their cue from those announcers, and think what they think.

Sure, I know, everyone responding on HuskerBoard is a free-thinker who makes their own opinions. We all know that's the answer coming, and yes, I believe you. I'm talking about those other guys.

have i missed the part where someone mentions a secret booster who has serious concerns giving money to such a maniac and it trying to force T.O.'s hand? or is that coming up?

have i missed the part where someone mentions a secret booster who has serious concerns giving money to such a maniac and it trying to force T.O.'s hand? or is that coming up?

Yeah, the boosters crying for Bo's head has already appeared. skersfan's wife even chimed in. It's been an epic thread.

Yeah, the boosters crying for Bo's head has already appeared. skersfan's wife even chimed in. It's been an epic thread.

well, my weekend is now booked.

Well since it was brought up, yes it does affect the program, not a big booster by any means. The wife has supported Nebraska since about 1974, sending money every year, buying part of the season tickets every year. She did it through Tom , Frank and Bill. Did so until the A&M last year, her decision has nothing to do with wins or losses, or it would have gone during the slash's time here I think. She was not very impressed with Bill during that period of time either though. How much she sends is not the question, but it is more than adequate, but she will not send another dime until Pelini is gone, her words exactly. Right now she says she is not going to the UCLA game, where we would normally have a huge tail gate with her cooking for literaly hundreds of people. Some have attended them, all the administration of this site has. She has always given freely to the program, but due to her feelings that has stopped. Nebraska has lost a pretty good fan for a Missouri girl.

The sad part is she really loves Nebraska, loves the people, the school and the football program. Literally Hates Bo. It will have an affect on my association with the program, doubt we will go to any games while Bo is the head coach. I will continue to support the program, but keeping the wife happy is job number one. Listening to her about it all the time is not fun. Much easier not to bring it up. I even get glares about being on the board, she has read the comments, I won't repeat hers.

But if it affects her like it has, my guess is that it affects others the same way. Maybe not in the diehard guys like most of us, but the average fan is the question.

I know she wrote a letter to Tom over the A&M game, he knows her quite well, and he responded to her. Told her the situation was in hand.

Well since it was brought up, yes it does affect the program, not a big booster by any means. The wife has supported Nebraska since about 1974, sending money every year, buying part of the season tickets every year. She did it through Tom , Frank and Bill. Did so until the A&M last year, her decision has nothing to do with wins or losses, or it would have gone during the slash's time here I think. She was not very impressed with Bill during that period of time either though. How much she sends is not the question, but it is more than adequate, but she will not send another dime until Pelini is gone, her words exactly. Right now she says she is not going to the UCLA game, where we would normally have a huge tail gate with her cooking for literaly hundreds of people. Some have attended them, all the administration of this site has. She has always given freely to the program, but due to her feelings that has stopped. Nebraska has lost a pretty good fan for a Missouri girl.

The sad part is she really loves Nebraska, loves the people, the school and the football program. Literally Hates Bo. It will have an affect on my association with the program, doubt we will go to any games while Bo is the head coach. I will continue to support the program, but keeping the wife happy is job number one. Listening to her about it all the time is not fun. Much easier not to bring it up. I even get glares about being on the board, she has read the comments, I won't repeat hers.

But if it affects her like it has, my guess is that it affects others the same way. Maybe not in the diehard guys like most of us, but the average fan is the question.

I know she wrote a letter to Tom over the A&M game, he knows her quite well, and he responded to her. Told her the situation was in hand.

I think the others that it affects, which I don't doubt there are, are an extremely small minority of folks. About as small as the people who like Bo Pelini no matter what he does. I don't have an argument with anything your wife believes about Bo, her right to believe it.

Where I disagree is where she says that it affects the kids in some shape or form. Which is just about as accurate as me saying it doesn't because neither of us really know if it does.

I'm going to lay it out using information I've learned in these first couple of weeks of my PSYC 350: Research Methods & Analysis class @ UNL.

What you're wife is making is an "causal" hypothesis. What I am making is an "causal" hypothesis by saying Bo's sideline behaviors cause/don't cause our kids to not/not not perform well and the football team to lose/win ball games. However, we can't ever infer causality because we can't run a true experiment to determine if indeed Bo's behavior affects the team. We can't conduct a true experiment because we can't subject player's at random to raging Bo or calm happy fluffy Bo.

However, the most telling reason as to why we can't proclaim that Bo doing X causes the team to do Y is because we don't have control over any other type of confounding variable which would produce the same exact results as our intended causal variable. We don't know if something else besides Bo causes the team to do whatever.

Point being to all: We're going nowhere arguing about Bo on the sidelines. Sports media, as a whole, is going nowhere talking about Bo on the sidelines. We as consumers of information have to be smart enough to think for ourselves rather than just follow like sheeple.