Concerning Depth...could the defensive line need more bodies?

Fuzzy

The defensive line needs more speed, to be able to catch the mobile quarterbacks that give Bo's defense so much trouble.

Almost every team in the nation struggles with mobile quarterbacks, and harping on Pelini for not being able to consistently stop them is unjust.

The defensive line needs more speed, to be able to catch the mobile quarterbacks that give Bo's defense so much trouble.

Almost every team in the nation struggles with mobile quarterbacks, and harping on Pelini for not being able to consistently stop them is unjust.

If you watch most of the games in which we pressed the QB and he scrambled, if anything we had too much speed. I saw a few times that our guys came off the end or up the middle sprinting to the QB and the guy would move maybe two feet and the defender would miss completely either falling down or being laid out by the offensive lineman that he got past.

When i played defensive end in high school we were always taught to watch the QB's eyes and his legs to get an idea of two things, where he was looking to the throw the ball and where he was looking to run off to. We were taught to have closing speed but as we get closer to the QB to slow down a little to anticipate his movement, we were taught to keep our arms out make sure to get a good grip. We were also taught to, depending on which hand the QB threw with, to grip with the left hand and swing the right hand underneath the QBs throwing arm to try and knock the ball out, or if he was in the throwing stage, swing the right arm down to disrupt the pass.

I just think that some of our guys may have overpursued the QB, may be trying to go for the BIG hit instead of the sure tackle.

If you watch most of the games in which we pressed the QB and he scrambled, if anything we had too much speed. I saw a few times that our guys came off the end or up the middle sprinting to the QB and the guy would move maybe two feet and the defender would miss completely either falling down or being laid out by the offensive lineman that he got past.

When i played defensive end in high school we were always taught to watch the QB's eyes and his legs to get an idea of two things, where he was looking to the throw the ball and where he was looking to run off to. We were taught to have closing speed but as we get closer to the QB to slow down a little to anticipate his movement, we were taught to keep our arms out make sure to get a good grip. We were also taught to, depending on which hand the QB threw with, to grip with the left hand and swing the right hand underneath the QBs throwing arm to try and knock the ball out, or if he was in the throwing stage, swing the right arm down to disrupt the pass.

I just think that some of our guys may have overpursued the QB, may be trying to go for the BIG hit instead of the sure tackle.

our guys looked slow and weak, couldn't get off blocks and pursued like grandma in a damn wheelchair......

OL - 23 on roster (That's not a typo and its not including the long snappers), 3 incoming (2 walk-ons), 2 departing

We are legitimatlly 4 deep at every spot on the offensive line and yet fans want more offensive linemen!!!

I think what the fanbase is looking for 'more of' is production, not bodies.

Honestly, how can Pelini not look at his team and realize, 'you know, I've brought in some pretty highly touted o-linemen every year since I've been here, and yet every year I mark that as a need... maybe it has something to do with my o-line coach,' but for whatever reason that thought has apparently not crossed his mind.

OL - 23 on roster (That's not a typo and its not including the long snappers), 3 incoming (2 walk-ons), 2 departing

We are legitimatlly 4 deep at every spot on the offensive line and yet fans want more offensive linemen!!!

Honestly, how can Pelini not look at his team and realize, 'you know, I've brought in some pretty highly touted o-linemen every year since I've been here, and yet every year I mark that as a need... maybe it has something to do with my o-line coach,' but for whatever reason that thought has apparently not crossed his mind.

Wow what a surprise. :ahhhhhhhh

Total horsesh*t.

Gee, pray tell, just what and where were those endless "highly touted Olinemen" he brought in 2008 (after 2007 season)? Well?

Ok, 2009 is on Bo. No doubt at all about that but yet once again, just what and where were all those boatloads of "highly touted Olinemen" you spew your bullsh*t about? Same answer...all in your dreamed up imagination.

2010 was much better and 2011 much, much better yet but for the last two years our talent on the field was marginal at best and depth almost non-existent due precisely to those two terrible recruiting years. You think we started and played walk-ons everywhere on the Oline the last couple of years because of our endless depth of "highly touted" talent recruited in 2008 & 2009? Well, on 2nd thought, you probably do.

The great thing about dumping everything on Barney is because.....

1. it's so very, very simple. Any child can log in and do the same.

2. No need to do the brutal math that requires using two digit numbers (yikes!).

3. Most of the internet genius crowd does the same. So how could they possibly be wrong?

Well, this next year is when the "real" (not dreamed up) road-grader talent & numbers will start hitting the field. We'll see......

You will defend Barney to the grave.

That's admirable. But for goodness sake, be less angry about it.

Total horsesh*t.

Gee, pray tell, just what and where were those endless "highly touted Olinemen" he brought in 2008 (after 2007 season)? Well?

Ok, 2009 is on Bo. No doubt at all about that but yet once again, just what and where were all those boatloads of "highly touted Olinemen" you spew your bullsh*t about?

Nick Ash, Jesse Coffey, Brent Qvale, Jeremiah Sirles, Brandon Thompson, David Grant, were all '08 and '09. Thompson, wow, he was supposedly our top interior swing guard backup for two years, and I can't remember if he even sniffed the field during that time.

That '09 group in particular was pretty impressive. Whatever happened to Qvale, anyway?

Barney rejecting the OL teaching practices of Callahan, just cause, never worked out for him. Fortunately, they finally fortified that position with all the extra coaching they could get from other sources.

You will defend Barney to the grave.

That's admirable. But for goodness sake, be less angry about it.

Total horsesh*t.

Ok, 2009 is on Bo. No doubt at all about that but yet once again, just what and where were all those boatloads of "highly touted Olinemen" you spew your bullsh*t about?

Nick Ash, Jesse Coffey, Brent Qvale, Jeremiah Sirles, Brandon Thompson, David Grant, were all '08 and '09. Thompson, wow, he was supposedly our top interior swing guard backup for two years, and I can't remember if he even sniffed the field during that time.

That '09 group in particular was pretty impressive. Whatever happened to Qvale, anyway?

Barney rejecting the OL teaching practices of Callahan, just cause, never worked out for him. Fortunately, they finally fortified that position with all the extra coaching they could get from other sources.

What???

Here's 2007's (2008 when they signed) endless list of "highly touted" Olinemen rankings from Scout.....

1. J. Burkes....4 stars

2. M. Jones .....3 stars

Here's 2008's (2009 when they signed) road graders.....

1. D, Grant...3 stars

2. B. Thompson....3 stars

3. R. Henry....3 stars

4. B. Steinkular...5 stars (switched to defense)

That's it. Those are the two classes that should have been on the field for us the last two years. Four "3" stars & one "4" star. That's a rate of only "ten" Oline recruits every four years. The quality and especially numbers simply weren't there. Was Barney supposed to wave his magic wand? Say the usual half of them wash out then we're talking "5" Oline recruits every four years. C'mon zoogies......

Sure, it "finally" starts to pick up in 2009 (at least in quantity).

1. N. Ash....3 stars

2. J. Coffee...3 stars

3. C. Pensick....3 stars

4. B. Qvale.....2 stars

5. J. Sirles....3 stars

Then 2010 gets some quality rolling.....

1. J. Hardrick......4 stars

2. M. Moudy....4 stars

3. A. Rodriguez...4 stars

Then 2011's very nice class.....

1. G. Price...3 stars

2. Z. Sterup....3 stars

3. T. Moore...4 stars

4. R. Reeves....4 stars

5. R. Klachko....4 stars

Again, it seems glaringly obvious to me that especially the numbers and arguably the quality simply hasn't been there for Barney the last couple of years. The upside is we should start finally nailing down that problem starting next year.

Sorry for being "angry" about it. Point well taken.

We have plenty of Seniority alogd the Dline this season, But whom of the young talent will we see emerge in spring ball and over fall camp into next season? Especailly interested DE, who can help off the edge, if the coaches allow it(contain scheme).

Below taken from Huskers.com

70 Anderson, Kenny DE 6-2 260 Sr. Omaha, Neb. (Millard West) 9 Ankrah, Jason DE 6-4 265 Jr. Gaithersburg, Md. (Quince Orchard) 47 Ashburn, Walker DE 6-2 255 So. Kenner, La. (John Curtis) 7 Carter, Joseph DE 6-5 250 Sr. Jackson, S.C. (Chaffey College) (Silver Bluff) 46 Martin, Eric DE 6-2 260 Sr. Moreno Valley, Calif. (Rancho Verde) 89 McDermott, Conor DE 6-2 255 Sr. Omaha, Neb. (Creighton Prep) 34 Meredith, Cameron DE 6-4 260 Sr. Huntington Beach, Calif. (Mater Dei) 52 Moore, J.C. DE 6-3 265 So. Fremont, Neb. (Fremont) 48 Okuyemi, Tobi DE 6-2 265 So. Maple Grove, Minn. (Wayzata) 91 Vestal, Donovan DE 6-5 250 So. Arlington, Texas (Bowie) 98 Williams, Josh DE 6-4 260 Sr. Denton, Texas (Ryan) 99 Guy, Jay DT 6-1 295 So. Houston, Texas (Eisenhower) 72 Jackson, Justin DT 6-3 270 Sr. Roca, Neb. (Norris) 57 Peat Jr., Todd DT 6-3 305 RFr. Tempe, Ariz. (Corona Del Sol) 53 Randle, Thaddeus DT 6-1 300 Jr. Galena Park, Texas (North Shore) 97 Rome, Chase DT 6-3 295 So. Columbia, Mo. (Rock Bridge) 55 Steinkuhler, Baker DT 6-6 290 Sr. Lincoln, Neb. (Southwest) 61 Uher, Jeff DT 6-1 275 So. Omaha, Neb. (Creighton Prep) 92 Williams, Kevin DT 6-2 270 RFr.

Holland, Ohio (Springfield)

Incoming True Freshmen: Greg McMullen(verbal), Vincent Valentine(hopeful), Avery Moss(verbal) and Aaron Curry(hopeful).

That's a huge list of highly touted recruits. Ankrah, Okuyemi, Ashburn, Carter, Williams, Randle, Rome, Peat, Williams...

Then you've got the guys that are more proven like Martin, Meredith, Stein, (ankrah could go here IMO).

The tallent is there on the DL. This one is all going to come down to coaching (and maybe the strength of our LBs). I believe overall we'll have a better linebacker group this year than we did last. David is a HUGE hole to fill, but we at times had 2 holes there last year. Compton came on strong towards the end, Fisher has another year under him. Santos should step up. This might allow the DL to be more aggresive, or at least change something

I know the DL is suposed to eat up lineman so the LBs can make a play. That works great on rushing downs. But what's the point of eating up an OL on passing downs if our LBs aren't blitzing? We made every OL look like an NFL calibre line last year with this method.