NU baseball

You guys will smoke this conference.

Zero to little interest from the 10 other schools unfortunately.

Wisky doesn't even have baseball.

That's not true--there was interest when Michigan and Ohio State were routinely making the tourney. Granted, that was, what, back in the 80s and 90s, but there was interest.

It's honestly the Big 10's scholarship rules that penalize a team for a kid leaving early for the majors that is keeping Big 10 baseball down. Were there a level playing field, and with the advent of the Big 10 Network, you would see schools putting more money into their programs--especially those schools that are typically beaten down by Penn State, tOSU, and Michigan in other sports. Kinda hard to play against the SEC and 'Vermin' with one recruiting/scholly arm tied behind your back.

That, and the NCAA does need to push back the start and finish of the season, IMO. I wouldn't think that an August College World Series would be so bad, as long as it affords us, say, a mid-March start date?

I agree, I think the B1G could be very competitive with some tweaks to the current system. Adjusting the scholarship rules and the like would be a great start. I think there is solid talent in the B1G footprint and along with the tv exposure through the Big Ten Network kids would be playing on television a lot more than even kids in the SEC. Change a couple rules to make the path easier, show that there can be money made by investing in it and having butts in the seats and I really think schools will put more into baseball facilities and there you go.

I do like the pushing back the start of the season idea as well. I know they did set a uniform start date which is nice because most years we would be heading off to a tourney and most of the southern teams we were playing had 7 or 8 games in already. I don't know about an august CWS but even if you pushed it back a couple weeks that would help the northern schools a lot. Southern schools already have a benefit because they get to practice outside all year long.

Does playing in the B1G help or hurt our chances of making postseason play? Curious question, really could see it going both ways.

In 2013 per new RPI rule changes, Nebraska and B1G baseball will benefit in making post-season play.

The biggest news last week was that the NCAA Baseball Committee has recommended changing the way the RPI is calculated for the 2013 season. The revised RPI formula will value each road victory as 1.3 instead of 1.0. Each home win will be valued at 0.7 instead of 1.0. Conversely, each home loss will count 1.3 against at team’s RPI and each road loss will count 0.7 against a team. This is similar to the changes made in Division I men’s and women’s basketball where road wins are weighted as 1.4 and home victories are weighted at 0.6. That was based on statistical data that consistently showed home teams in Division I basketball winning about two-thirds of the time.

College Baseball Daily was able to catch up to coaches from around the country to get their thoughts on the new rules and what changes they might have for their 2013 schedules if they are adopted by NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel meeting on August 11th. You can check out the coaches comments below and the NCAA did a study on what the changes would have done for the 2011 season if they were in effect which can be checked out by clicking here.

LINK

Read the coaches comments at the end of the article at the link I posted above. Particularly the comment from Baylor:

1. Compensates Northern teams for the larger number of road games they play.

2. Puts more pressure on Southern teams that play an unusual number of Home games.

I like it. Another thing about College Baseball I never understood is the placement of the Amateur draft right before the CWS. It would be nice to move the season and the CWS back but how the season, the draft and the CWS all come together is definitely something to look at. The fact that the draft is when it is and then there is around 2 months to get deals done seem strange to me. It would seem it could all get pushed back a bit.

Does playing in the B1G help or hurt our chances of making postseason play? Curious question, really could see it going both ways.

Help. No question in my mind. Baseball in the B1G is pretty weak from what I understand, and the more wins we have means possibly home field advantage in regional play. Every little bit helps.

EXCEPT if you don't win the conference...............much harder to make a case for at-large bids................

If we don't win the conference, we probably don't deserve a bid anyways...

Also excited about the upcoming season.

Question. Will I be able to watch any Husker games on Big10 network?

Since work makes it easy to go to Vandy games, will get my live college fix.

( or find me at the Nashville Sounds games when they are in town...)

BaseballAmerica preseason Top 25:

http://www.baseballa...12/2612851.html

Yes. Just have to wait until BTN releases the TV schedule for upcoming baseball games.

• 2 weeks later...