Low IQ behind some conservative beliefs

Come for the information, stay for the derp.

Of note:

The study, which appeared in the journal Psychological Science and was written up by LifeScience, built upon previous research linking low education with prejudice, using data from two studies testing IQ and then political beliefs.

However, it doesn't cover *all* conservative beliefs. Of note:

The Daily Beast, however, points out that the report only addressed socially conservative beliefs and not the whole spectrum of political and economic values of the right.

Of course, someone's bound to realize that maybe there's some trolling going on...

“They’ve pulled off the trifecta of controversial topics,” said Brian Nosek, a social and cognitive psychologist at the University of Virginia who was not involved in the study. “When one selects intelligence, political ideology and racism and looks at any of the relationships between those three variables, it’s bound to upset somebody.”

There was a study a while back that showed something like conservatives/pubs were more likely to be not popular/picked on growing up. But I think the people they looked at where in Cali, so maybe it was a liberal area and they were not popular/picked on because they were not a part of the majority....?

Makes you wonder exactly how generalizable their results are....I didn't look at the link in full because I'm on my phone but did they just test in a region? And did they test just males or even just a certain age group? All those things can skew the results not make it applicable to conservatives in general.

Hodson also noted that the results should not be used broadly across all people of either political affiliation, saying: “There are multiple examples of very bright conservatives and not-so-bright liberals, and many examples of very principled conservatives and very intolerant liberals.”

Seems like some good advice but I'm sure many will ignore the caveats and jump head long into generalized false assumptions. Who's first?

Pretty sure this has been a striking point for the left for years. (deep voice...chest puffed out...forehead crinkled)They have big educated politicians from highly esteemed universities while conservatives have stupid hicks like George W Bush and people who can't spell like Dan Quale. Bottomline...you can twist facts to say whatever you want.

Hodson also noted that the results should not be used broadly across all people of either political affiliation, saying: “There are multiple examples of very bright conservatives and not-so-bright liberals, and many examples of very principled conservatives and very intolerant liberals.”

Seems like some good advice but I'm sure many will ignore the caveats and jump head long into generalized false assumptions. Who's first?

We will just have to wait and see.

I could see how a low IQ would cause someone to believe on faith alone with a complete absence of evidence, then listen to a charismatic community leader why gays are an abomination and the poor are just lazy.

I could see how a person with a low IQ would not want to get their news from a multiple and varied sources, and prefer the network that draped itself in the most rhetoric-filled patriotism.

However there are still many issues that a conservative POV can be justified by a high IQ, such as lower taxes, spending reform, and a strong national defense.