To Those of You Who Want to be Educated on Recruiting

EZ-E

I wish you would step back from that ledge, my friend.....j/k

Sorry but I don’t agree with you at all, and neither do most of the professional scouts and other coaches. There is a reason a good chunk of kids on your list never got a major d1 school offer. BTW, Watching HIGHTLIGHT films means absolutely NOTHING. Any knowledgeable person knows you need to watch a kid practice, watch full game films, talk to him and his family - get a feel for his personality, etc. I was friends with Jack Stark years ago (NU football psychologist from 89-03), he always said you can tell more about a champion by talking to him and his family than anything else. If he doesn’t have the right mind to be a competitor, it doesn’t matter what his physical skills are.

Our recruits overall are decent, average, mediocre.... whatever you want to call it. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t good either; there is nothing wrong with that. We have young coaches that have to recruit in a less than ideal location, that’s just facts. To compete for championships, both conference and national, you need to sign more 4+ star athletes every year. If we have short schollys, you still need 8+ four star type kids every year. Our coaches are too young to make 3 stars into 5 stars, we need the talent until our coaches get more time under their belt. Ya, TO may have done it with less, but most of his coaches had 20+ years of experience and knew how to coach up kids. Our staff needs another 4-5 years before they will turn out kids on a consistent basis.

But i do hasve to ask, why are you so passionate about defending the staff and their possible mistakes? You know they are human and will make mistakes, right? I know a lot of people bash him/the staff, but the people defending them (aka, sunshine pumpers) look just as out of touch.

just my 2 cents.

• Fire 1

Sorry but I don’t agree with you at all, and neither do most of the professional scouts and other coaches. There is a reason a good chunk of kids on your list never got a major d1 school offer. BTW, Watching HIGHTLIGHT films means absolutely NOTHING. Any knowledgeable person knows you need to watch a kid practice, watch full game films, talk to him and his family - get a feel for his personality, etc. I was friends with Jack Stark years ago (NU football psychologist from 89-03), he always said you can tell more about a champion by talking to him and his family than anything else. If he doesn’t have the right mind to be a competitor, it doesn’t matter what his physical skills are.

Our recruits overall are decent, average, mediocre.... whatever you want to call it. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t good either; there is nothing wrong with that. We have young coaches that have to recruit in a less than ideal location, that’s just facts. To compete for championships, both conference and national, you need to sign more 4+ star athletes every year. If we have short schollys, you still need 8+ four star type kids every year. Our coaches are too young to make 3 stars into 5 stars, we need the talent until our coaches get more time under their belt. Ya, TO may have done it with less, but most of his coaches had 20+ years of experience and knew how to coach up kids. Our staff needs another 4-5 years before they will turn out kids on a consistent basis.

But i do hasve to ask, why are you so passionate about defending the staff and their possible mistakes? You know they are human and will make mistakes, right? I know a lot of people bash him/the staff, but the people defending them (aka, sunshine pumpers) look just as out of touch.

just my 2 cents.

This might just be the stupidest post ive ever read. Did you not read PaulCrews post about The Average Class, and all the offers our kids had? Are you freaking kidding me right now? Our coaches are too yourg to develop talent? What is wrong with you?

Watch interviews with McMullen, Westerkamp, Rose, Armstrong, and tell me they arent some of the brightest, level headed kids youve ever heard speak. Sean Callahan and "expert" loves the class and called Westerkamp the rex Burkhead of WR...but im sure our young coaches wont develop him. Do some research before you post, because you sound like a moron.

• Fire 1

just my 2 cents.

This might just be the stupidest post ive ever read. Did you not read PaulCrews post about The Average Class, and all the offers our kids had? Are you freaking kidding me right now? Our coaches are too yourg to develop talent? What is wrong with you?

Watch interviews with McMullen, Westerkamp, Rose, Armstrong, and tell me they arent some of the brightest, level headed kids youve ever heard speak. Do some research before you post, because you sound like a moron.

I dont agree with the wording of the above response, but PaulCrewe's breakdown of each kid's offer list kind of puts the major premise of your argument to rest. There were plenty of major division one college coaches that wanted a lot of the football players in our class.

Next, I am very critical of our play on the field. If you ever watch a game with me that is just how I am. Coaches make mistakes, and that is definately true. Cody Green not redshirting, even Braylon Heard not redshirting was probably a mistake.

But what are you saying about the kids in our program and the ones who just signed on to be a part of it? Are they not fit to be Huskers? Are they not good enough to wear that N on the side of their helmets?

The bolded parts are a joke. We claim ESPN sucks because of their West Coast and SEC bias but then we all buy into the biggest ones in the recruiting rankings. Sure I like to see 4 and 5 stars by the kids we sign's names. But that is not everything. More often than not it is about which kid went to camp where.

just my 2 cents.

I don't like how you can't say this on Huskerboard and not be called a moron.

Well put EZ, but I wouldn't know what you are talking about.

We need Dick Clique T-Shirts and we will start our own tailgates next year. We wont let anyone else in either. Because we are dicks.

Hell yeah. Screw trying to get the board to do it(tried twice last year). I am looking for 3 or 4 select individuals now. Although it probably would be a bitch for that Western NE hillbilly GSG to get back to the "real world". And it is funny that I can say that since I grew up in the Panhandle

just my 2 cents.

I don't like how you can't say this on Huskerboard and not be called a moron.

Oh, don't worry we do.

I said he sounded like a moron. Its my opinion that its a stupid post. I get called a sunshine pumper does that mean i dont like Huskerboard because someone called EZ a sunshine pumer...not at all. Everyone has their own opinions but its the way your present your arguement that matters....(not that i did a very good job of that on my rant) Your either a sunshine pumper a negative nancy or most are probably somewhere in between.

What he stated is purely opinion and an uneducated one. It is stupid to say that the coaches are too young to develop talent. Another innaccurate statement was: "there is a reason a good chunk of kids on your list never got a major d1 school offer" ..which is stupid and shows me that he has no idea what he is talking about. If he looked at their profiles or read PaulCrews post (which made it really easy for everyone to see the facts), he would understand that statement was indeed stupid, when the facts show otherwise.

It's amazing how short-sighted some of the posters are when it comes to recruiting. Stars only show a subjective rating of the potential of a recruit. It still takes a good coaching staff to develop those players. And if you don't look at all the other schools that recruited the recruits we got and think that we only got players who were targeted by Bowling Green, Ohio, and Buffalo...but we didn't.