Huskers Vs Zags Game 3

Congrats on being a successful coach. Clearly you know what it takes to win at whatever level you are at. That doesn't mean you KNOW that Erstad will succeed. If "knowledge of the game" was the sole factor in whether a coach is successful or not, then every former player in the NFL, NBA and MLB would be tremendously successful coaches 100% of the time. Since you're a coach, I would think you would know that quite a bit more goes into it than that but whatever....I get it, you like Erstad and you're offended that I don't think he'll succeed and because I'm not a coach or former major leaguer I'm not entitled to my opinion. Duly noted.

When did I say I knew Erstad was going to be a good coach? I said he has potential. Its a pity your not willing to see what he becomes and you judge his coaching performance and want him fired after three games. At least wait til the season is over and then if they still stink and have not improved at all, then your opinion may have a little more substance. Just a quick question for the Husker fans that listened/watched the games this weekend. Did you see any improvement at all from last season to the beginning of this season? if the answer is yes, that improvement happened in little over a month. Just imagine the improvement by May. Sounds to me like they have improved and just need to find someone to close.

Jesus H. Christ.

I didn't say I wanted him fired after three games. In fact, I hope he succeeds. See guy who says I keep repeating myself? This is why I have to keep repeating myself because guys like Foppa and Po Belini keep claiming I'm saying something I NEVER EFFING SAID. One last time. I didn't want him here. Now that he's here I hope he succeeds, I just don't think he will. I think hiring him will eventually set the program back further. So would firing him after three games. so would firing him after this season....happy now? Do you freaking comprehend what I'm saying yet?

I'm curious, what improvement do you think you heard, since you clearly didn't watch the games? I'm honestly curious because I don't know how you could possibly make that assumption, especially since we still had bullpen, defensive, baserunning and hitting with RISP problems. Where SPECIFICALLY do you think we improved?

You keep having to repeat yourself because nothing you say adds up to anything but hatred and confrontation and you're mad that you get called on it. Just curious if your hometown is Tehran, Iran...you sound like someone I've heard about on the news...

"We don't have an agenda to build nuclear weapons!" response when questioned...

"No you can't see what we're doing!"

No! We're peaceful! We're innocent!" response when questioned...

"No you can't see what we're doing! Why don't you just take us at our word! We love everyone!"

"I've said nothing to make you think what we're doing is wrong!" response when questioned...

"You still can't prove we're doing anything wrong, and we're willing to attack you if you second-guess us..."

This thread is about as broken as it can be. Good luck and GBR in Corpus Christi guys.

So a ton of this freaking out is a result of probably the crappiest part of NU's team last year(the bullpen) not being fixed three games in. OK, got it.

And Gumby, people would quit bagging on you if you didn't remind everyone that you were against this hire in every other post. For hoping that DE "proves you wrong" you just really don't come off as that. The majority of your posts come off as "See, I was right. He sucks. And this team will never be a winner with him at the helm." I know there hasn't been much positive so far in a YOUNG season, but your negativity towards DE will irk others. Let's just see how the team responds this week end.

And PPS, I am still awaiting you Chicago Cubs analogy response.

I wouldn't have to "remind" people of my opinion of Erstad if people didn't either mischaracterize what I was saying, flat out lie about what I was saying, or claim I don't understand baseball because of what I was saying.

I'm not sure what you want me to say about the Cubs analogy. I thought it was fairly obvious I was talking about Mike Quade, who had never been a manager before taking over the interim duties in 2010 and then going full time in 2011. He was in WAY, WAY, WAY over his head last year and it was freaking obvious.

Congrats on being a successful coach. Clearly you know what it takes to win at whatever level you are at. That doesn't mean you KNOW that Erstad will succeed. If "knowledge of the game" was the sole factor in whether a coach is successful or not, then every former player in the NFL, NBA and MLB would be tremendously successful coaches 100% of the time. Since you're a coach, I would think you would know that quite a bit more goes into it than that but whatever....I get it, you like Erstad and you're offended that I don't think he'll succeed and because I'm not a coach or former major leaguer I'm not entitled to my opinion. Duly noted.

When did I say I knew Erstad was going to be a good coach? I said he has potential. Its a pity your not willing to see what he becomes and you judge his coaching performance and want him fired after three games. At least wait til the season is over and then if they still stink and have not improved at all, then your opinion may have a little more substance. Just a quick question for the Husker fans that listened/watched the games this weekend. Did you see any improvement at all from last season to the beginning of this season? if the answer is yes, that improvement happened in little over a month. Just imagine the improvement by May. Sounds to me like they have improved and just need to find someone to close.

Jesus H. Christ.

I didn't say I wanted him fired after three games. In fact, I hope he succeeds. See guy who says I keep repeating myself? This is why I have to keep repeating myself because guys like Foppa and Po Belini keep claiming I'm saying something I NEVER EFFING SAID. One last time. I didn't want him here. Now that he's here I hope he succeeds, I just don't think he will. I think hiring him will eventually set the program back further. So would firing him after three games. so would firing him after this season....happy now? Do you freaking comprehend what I'm saying yet?

I'm curious, what improvement do you think you heard, since you clearly didn't watch the games? I'm honestly curious because I don't know how you could possibly make that assumption, especially since we still had bullpen, defensive, baserunning and hitting with RISP problems. Where SPECIFICALLY do you think we improved?

You keep having to repeat yourself because nothing you say adds up to anything but hatred and confrontation and you're mad that you get called on it. Just curious if your hometown is Tehran, Iran...you sound like someone I've heard about on the news...

"No you can't see what we're doing! Why don't you just take us at our word! We love everyone!"

"I've said nothing to make you think what we're doing is wrong!" response when questioned...

"You still can't prove we're doing anything wrong, and we're willing to attack you if you second-guess us..."

This thread is about as broken as it can be. Good luck and GBR in Corpus Christi guys.

If you had even a modicum of reading comprehension, it would add up. What exactly is tripping you up? The part where I never called for Erstad to be fired? Or the part where I didn't say he should be fired after three games? Maybe i can help.

PS Excellent analogy. Totally relevant.

Jesus H. Christ.

If you had even a modicum of reading comprehension, it would add up. What exactly is tripping you up? The part where I never called for Erstad to be fired? Or the part where I didn't say he should be fired after three games? Maybe i can help.

You just did. 'Enjoy' the season.

Gumber

You should check out what the reigning world champs did after Tony retired........They went out and signed a former Major League baseball player in Mike Matheny who had no managerial experience

If the St. Louis Cardinals can do that.........I'm sure Nebraska can do it as well

Excellent argument, now let's examine where it's not remotely relevant.

First there's the obvious, that being that college coaches are actually tasked with taking 17, 18 year old kids and molding them into players. Major League managers make in game decisions but have very little to do with molding grown men into players. There's also the complete lack of actual recruiting and player assessment doesn't play nearly as large a role since the GM puts together the roster.

While Matheny had no managerial experience he had spent the last several years as an instructor in the Cardinals organization. In other words, he still has more coaching experience than Darin Erstad.

And finally, the Cardinals didn't just finish last in the NL Central for the third straight year and weren't arguably at the franchise's lowest point in two decades. They didn't need someone to come in and turn things around. The Cardinals just needed someone they could hand the torch to.

The Huskers didn't just win the College World Series, they needed someone who could come in and turn around the program and our AD picked someone who has no idea what that takes.

And finally, you're comparing the Erstad hiring to a hiring that could be one of the worst decisions the Cardinals have made in 40 years. I mean it could end up being EPICALLY stupid. The Cubs handed their manager job to a dude who had never been a major league manager last year. Turned out he was in way...way...WAY over his head.

So in other words....holy god was that a bad example.

So lets recap here.......Your saying managing players that are 18-21 is harder than managing 24-38 year old's?? give me a break

If your going to sit there and say that MLB managers have no say in who is brought in then you're even more clueless about baseball then I thought. For example, The Cards starting CF last year Colby Rasmus had talent through the roof, however, he didn't want to take advice from Tony or any of the other coaches. So guess what happened next they ship him off to Toronto for 5 players that ultimately helped them win a ring.

It's not like DE is totally in charge of everything...........If you'd pay attention to things he says like "I'll be leaning heaving on my assistants this year to help me out"

Your agenda is starting to poke it's ugly head out

Oh and if being an special instructor for spring training is better than being an assistant coach for a season then I guess you got me there

And seriously, using what the Cardinals did, as an example as to why Erstad was a good hire, when most people were rather surprised they did it AND before you have any idea whether or not it was actually a GOOD idea is just.....dumb

I'm a huge Cardinal fan and I think the Matheny hire was a great one..........Just as I think Erstad was

If you don't like the Erstad hire then go support a different team

Gumber

You should check out what the reigning world champs did after Tony retired........They went out and signed a former Major League baseball player in Mike Matheny who had no managerial experience

If the St. Louis Cardinals can do that.........I'm sure Nebraska can do it as well

First there's the obvious, that being that college coaches are actually tasked with taking 17, 18 year old kids and molding them into players. Major League managers make in game decisions but have very little to do with molding grown men into players. There's also the complete lack of actual recruiting and player assessment doesn't play nearly as large a role since the GM puts together the roster.

While Matheny had no managerial experience he had spent the last several years as an instructor in the Cardinals organization. In other words, he still has more coaching experience than Darin Erstad.

And finally, the Cardinals didn't just finish last in the NL Central for the third straight year and weren't arguably at the franchise's lowest point in two decades. They didn't need someone to come in and turn things around. The Cardinals just needed someone they could hand the torch to.

The Huskers didn't just win the College World Series, they needed someone who could come in and turn around the program and our AD picked someone who has no idea what that takes.

And finally, you're comparing the Erstad hiring to a hiring that could be one of the worst decisions the Cardinals have made in 40 years. I mean it could end up being EPICALLY stupid. The Cubs handed their manager job to a dude who had never been a major league manager last year. Turned out he was in way...way...WAY over his head.

So lets recap here.......Your saying managing players that are 18-21 is harder than managing 24-38 year old's?? give me a break

If your going to sit there and say that MLB managers have no say in who is brought in then you're even more clueless about baseball then I thought. For example, The Cards starting CF last year Colby Rasmus had talent through the roof, however, he didn't want to take advice from Tony or any of the other coaches. So guess what happened next they ship him off to Toronto for 5 players that ultimately helped them win a ring.

It's not like DE is totally in charge of everything...........If you'd pay attention to things he says like "I'll be leaning heaving on my assistants this year to help me out"

Oh and if being an special instructor for spring training is better than being an assistant coach for a season then I guess you got me there

And seriously, using what the Cardinals did, as an example as to why Erstad was a good hire, when most people were rather surprised they did it AND before you have any idea whether or not it was actually a GOOD idea is just.....dumb

I'm a huge Cardinal fan and I think the Matheny hire was a great one..........Just as I think Erstad was

If you don't like the Erstad hire then go support a different team

I don't think anyone has to like the Erstad hire as a requisite to support the team, but I don't think certain people even want to give any leeway at all. As fans we can't control the leadership of our sports teams any more than we can at our jobs, but we deal with it and make it work because we either need a paycheck, or we want our team to do well. That's the way it goes I guess.

Gumber

I'm shocked, SHOCKED that you think I have to agree with everything the current AD does or stop following the school altogether.

Where SPECIFICALLY do you think we improved?

We improved in the fact that we don't have dumbass Anderson in the dugout anymore, and now we have a guy who is passionate about the university because he is a Nebraska alum, and has also played on a team that won the World Series.

We also improved because Silva is the best pitching coach that Nebraska has had since Childress left.

I'm sorry, are you honestly trying to claim that Anderson didn't give a crap about the University or winning? I mean, he was a crappy coach but he wanted to win as much as anyone.

Who the hell said that?.... :confucius

I don't think anyone has to like the Erstad hire as a requisite to support the team, but I don't think certain people even want to give any leeway at all. As fans we can't control the leadership of our sports teams any more than we can at our jobs, but we deal with it and make it work because we either need a paycheck, or we want our team to do well. That's the way it goes I guess.

Thank you for saying it like that... Because I want to blow up at the person who posted that, but I'll go ahead and keep calm..

As far as improvement, I'm too lazy to look up and see who said we saw improvement, but I'd LOVE to see where we improved this past weekend over where we were day 1 of Anderson's teams. Whoever said "the dumbass Anderson isn't in the dugout" wow, that's a pretty intelligent and well-informed opinion. Definitely proves to me that we have improved from last year. Wow, how could I possibly have missed that one?? Thank you for that.

Please, give me examples of where we are better off. Please.

Thank you for saying it like that... Because I want to blow up at the person who posted that, but I'll go ahead and keep calm..

As far as improvement, I'm too lazy to look up and see who said we saw improvement, but I'd LOVE to see where we improved this past weekend over where we were day 1 of Anderson's teams. Whoever said "the dumbass Anderson isn't in the dugout" wow, that's a pretty intelligent and well-informed opinion. Definitely proves to me that we have improved from last year. Wow, how could I possibly have missed that one?? Thank you for that.

Sorry if my post didn't meet your criteria. I'll try to do better next time. :sarcasm

I asked if Husker fans saw improvement. Like I said, I don't follow Nebraska too much because I like the Omaha team, but I want them to do well.

I don't know what their problems were last year. But from reading the threads they were winning late in the game. Maybe going into the 9th inning and blowing it? I'd say they played well, but just need someone to close the game. But like I said, I don't follow them much.

I asked if Husker fans saw improvement. Like I said, I don't follow Nebraska too much because I like the Omaha team, but I want them to do well.

I don't know what their problems were last year. But from reading the threads they were winning late in the game. Maybe going into the 9th inning and blowing it? I'd say they played well, but just need someone to close the game. But like I said, I don't follow them much.

Failure to finish out games was one of the biggest bitches about Anderson. From the 3 game sample so far, we have no improvement in that aspect. If anything, a decline. It's 3 games, I'm not overly worried about that part, yet. I'm just trying to see what we did better. We did not play well.

Sorry if my post didn't meet your criteria. I'll try to do better next time. :sarcasm

Maybe instead of making uninspired snide remarks, you try to put a little thought into the post. It really does nothing but hurt the validity of your posts when all you can bring to the table is bashing. Just a thought.

Maybe instead of making uninspired snide remarks, you try to put a little thought into the post. It really does nothing but hurt the validity of your posts when all you can bring to the table is bashing. Just a thought.

Who's bashing who? Maybe you should just worry about your own posts.

My honest opinion is that this team is better for the simple fact that Anderson is not in the dugout anymore. If you have a problem with that, then it's not my fault. As far as team performance, I didn't watch any of the games, so I don't know much other than we should have won the last 2 games of the series but let it slip away late in the game. Like Po said, once (if) we find some relief pitching, the team has a lot of talent and potential.

BTW, my biggest gripe with Anderson's teams is that after Childress left, the teams obviously got worse and worse each year, and the integrity of the baseball program could have been salvaged a little bit had we canned Anderson 1 or 2 years earlier. Now, Erstad has the task of rebuilding in the same manner that Bo had to with the football team. Give it a little time.

Who's bashing who? Maybe you should just worry about your own posts.

My honest opinion is that this team is better for the simple fact that Anderson is not in the dugout anymore. If you have a problem with that, then it's not my fault. As far as team performance, I didn't watch any of the games, so I don't know much other than we should have won the last 2 games of the series but let it slip away late in the game. Like Po said, once (if) we find some relief pitching, the team has a lot of talent and potential.

BTW, my biggest gripe with Anderson's teams is that after Childress left, the teams obviously got worse and worse each year, and the integrity of the baseball program could have been salvaged a little bit had we canned Anderson 1 or 2 years earlier. Now, Erstad has the task of rebuilding in the same manner that Bo had to with the football team. Give it a little time.

How am I not giving it a little time?

My original point to you: don't use profanity to describe one individual if you want your point to be well-taken. Plain and simple.

I never once bashed you, simply gave you a little bit of advice. If you have an issue with that, I'm sorry.

Now to your point. If the task of rebuilding this team is like what Bo had to do with the Football program, we will be just fine this year. Bo took over with a ton of talent to do what he needs. If you trust the multiple recruit rankings in college baseball, Nebraska should be pretty good for the near future. We have had really good classes over the past few years. With you guys saying how good of a coach Erstad will be, I'm excited for what will happen this year and next. As I've said, I'm really excited about Bolt and Silva, hopefully the results come.