Huskers Vs Zags Game 3

Yes and it's infinitely harder to fix a broken program when you don't have the slightest clue how to do so. The state this program is in is just one of the reasons that Erstad should absolutely not have been the hire.

:facepalm:

Apparently you didn't read my post very well, so Ill say it again. If you have knowledge of the game (Erstad obviously does since he played in MLB, you obviously don't because your freaking out after a few games) you have an opportunity to become a great coach once you find the strategy you want to use and which situations work best for the team. Obviously he is not going to figure it all out after three games, but when he does, I can guarantee we will never see you post on Huskerboard again.

Yes and it's infinitely harder to fix a broken program when you don't have the slightest clue how to do so. The state this program is in is just one of the reasons that Erstad should absolutely not have been the hire.

Apparently you didn't read my post very well, so Ill say it again. If you have knowledge of the game (Erstad obviously does since he played in MLB, you obviously don't because your freaking out after a few games) you have an opportunity to become a great coach once you find the strategy you want to use and which situations work best for the team. Obviously he is not going to figure it all out after three games, but when he does, I can guarantee we will never see you post on Huskerboard again.

You missed his point too. He said that Erstad, as a college coach, is tasked with molding young men into great ball players. At the Major League level, you don't do that, the strategies are much more part of it. Now, I think Bolt and Silva will be able to be great assistants and will both have head gigs in the future at D1 programs, but I don't think this past weekend can be taken worth a grain of salt, it did happen. I wasn't and still am not thrilled with the Erstad hire, but I hope it works out well.

I don't think the sky is falling but I don't think there are no issues either.. This year will be a learning experience, plain and simple.

Gumber

You should check out what the reigning world champs did after Tony retired........They went out and signed a former Major League baseball player in Mike Matheny who had no managerial experience

If the St. Louis Cardinals can do that.........I'm sure Nebraska can do it as well

Excellent argument, now let's examine where it's not remotely relevant.

First there's the obvious, that being that college coaches are actually tasked with taking 17, 18 year old kids and molding them into players. Major League managers make in game decisions but have very little to do with molding grown men into players. There's also the complete lack of actual recruiting and player assessment doesn't play nearly as large a role since the GM puts together the roster.

While Matheny had no managerial experience he had spent the last several years as an instructor in the Cardinals organization. In other words, he still has more coaching experience than Darin Erstad.

And finally, the Cardinals didn't just finish last in the NL Central for the third straight year and weren't arguably at the franchise's lowest point in two decades. They didn't need someone to come in and turn things around. The Cardinals just needed someone they could hand the torch to.

The Huskers didn't just win the College World Series, they needed someone who could come in and turn around the program and our AD picked someone who has no idea what that takes.

And finally, you're comparing the Erstad hiring to a hiring that could be one of the worst decisions the Cardinals have made in 40 years. I mean it could end up being EPICALLY stupid. The Cubs handed their manager job to a dude who had never been a major league manager last year. Turned out he was in way...way...WAY over his head.

So in other words....holy god was that a bad example.

So lets recap here.......Your saying managing players that are 18-21 is harder than managing 24-38 year old's?? give me a break

If your going to sit there and say that MLB managers have no say in who is brought in then you're even more clueless about baseball then I thought. For example, The Cards starting CF last year Colby Rasmus had talent through the roof, however, he didn't want to take advice from Tony or any of the other coaches. So guess what happened next they ship him off to Toronto for 5 players that ultimately helped them win a ring.

It's not like DE is totally in charge of everything...........If you'd pay attention to things he says like "I'll be leaning heaving on my assistants this year to help me out"

Your agenda is starting to poke it's ugly head out

Oh and if being an special instructor for spring training is better than being an assistant coach for a season then I guess you got me there

Gumber

You should check out what the reigning world champs did after Tony retired........They went out and signed a former Major League baseball player in Mike Matheny who had no managerial experience

If the St. Louis Cardinals can do that.........I'm sure Nebraska can do it as well

Excellent argument, now let's examine where it's not remotely relevant.

First there's the obvious, that being that college coaches are actually tasked with taking 17, 18 year old kids and molding them into players. Major League managers make in game decisions but have very little to do with molding grown men into players. There's also the complete lack of actual recruiting and player assessment doesn't play nearly as large a role since the GM puts together the roster.

While Matheny had no managerial experience he had spent the last several years as an instructor in the Cardinals organization. In other words, he still has more coaching experience than Darin Erstad.

And finally, the Cardinals didn't just finish last in the NL Central for the third straight year and weren't arguably at the franchise's lowest point in two decades. They didn't need someone to come in and turn things around. The Cardinals just needed someone they could hand the torch to.

The Huskers didn't just win the College World Series, they needed someone who could come in and turn around the program and our AD picked someone who has no idea what that takes.

And finally, you're comparing the Erstad hiring to a hiring that could be one of the worst decisions the Cardinals have made in 40 years. I mean it could end up being EPICALLY stupid. The Cubs handed their manager job to a dude who had never been a major league manager last year. Turned out he was in way...way...WAY over his head.

So in other words....holy god was that a bad example.

So lets recap here.......Your saying managing players that are 18-21 is harder than managing 24-38 year old's?? give me a break

If your going to sit there and say that MLB managers have no say in who is brought in then you're even more clueless about baseball then I thought. For example, The Cards starting CF last year Colby Rasmus had talent through the roof, however, he didn't want to take advice from Tony or any of the other coaches. So guess what happened next they ship him off to Toronto for 5 players that ultimately helped them win a ring.

It's not like DE is totally in charge of everything...........If you'd pay attention to things he says like "I'll be leaning heaving on my assistants this year to help me out"

Your agenda is starting to poke it's ugly head out

Oh and if being an special instructor for spring training is better than being an assistant coach for a season then I guess you got me there

"So lets recap here.......Your saying managing players that are 18-21 is harder than managing 24-38 year old's?? give me a break"

You're saying it's not? College coaches have to teach these kids how to actually play the game. When your 34 years old and in the major leagues, very little teaching goes on. If you don't understand that incredibly simple concept, then I don't know what to tell you.

Managers have some say in who gets on their roster, but they have a GM who will both help andmake the final call. Make no mistake, if Colby Rasmus had...say Alfonso Soriano's contract that trade wouldn't have happened. It also wouldn't have happened if the Cards didn't have a good GM who made the deal. Are you under the impression LaRussa got on the phones and made that trade? And you claim I don't know anything about MLB?

"It's not like DE is totally in charge of everything...........If you'd pay attention to things he says like "I'll be leaning heaving on my assistants this year to help me out"

He's in charge of the team. Leaning on someone and not being in charge are actually NOT the same thing. I get you don't understand that though.

"Your agenda is starting to poke it's ugly head out"

I think I've been fairly clear and concise that I think the Erstad hire was a terrible decision. I'm not being sneaky about it. You didn't "figure me out."

I hope I'm wrong. I hope that against all odds Darin Erstad actually grows into a good head coach and he does it quickly. I just don't think he will. I think in five years we'll be looking for another coach and by that point, the program might be stuck in the mud too deep to dig out.

And seriously, using what the Cardinals did, as an example as to why Erstad was a good hire, when most people were rather surprised they did it AND before you have any idea whether or not it was actually a GOOD idea is just.....dumb

I understood your post just fine. I don't agree with it. Not agreeing with you doesn't mean I don't understand what you said. Yes he was a major league player. Yes he MIGHT be able toi translate what made him great into being a great coach. We have absolutely no idea if he will because we (meaning everybody) have no idea what kind of a coach he is.

I'll just say this again, though why I have to is beyond me. This is NOT a reaction to the three game sweep. I was not in favor of the hire WHEN IT HAPPENED. The three game sweep doesn't prove me right any more than had we won all three I would have been proved wrong. HOWEVER there were plenty of mistakes that might not have been made with another more experienced head coach. We'll see going forward whether he's right for the job. If we win, I'll be here, and you'll be claiming I'm a fairweather fan, and you'll be full of crap then too.

One can only hope. That he will never post here again that is. :thumbs

Well, if they start winning, he will have nothing to bitch about. Which is what all of his posts have been. Bitching about basketball. Bitching about baseball. How he knew basketball would suck and Erstad was a crappy hire.

We've sucked in basketball for a decade and in baseball for 3+ plus years. Odd that I'm unhappy about it....isn't it?

Well, if they start winning, he will have nothing to bitch about. Which is what all of his posts have been. Bitching about basketball. Bitching about baseball. How he knew basketball would suck and Erstad was a crappy hire.

We've sucked in basketball for a decade and in baseball for 3+ plus years. Odd that I'm unhappy about it....isn't it?

Well, I wouldn't know. Im a Creighton fan in both. I follow Nebraska and want them to do well, but if they don't, oh well.

I understood your post just fine. I don't agree with it. Not agreeing with you doesn't mean I don't understand what you said. Yes he was a major league player. Yes he MIGHT be able toi translate what made him great into being a great coach. We have absolutely no idea if he will because we (meaning everybody) have no idea what kind of a coach he is.

I'll just say this again, though why I have to is beyond me. This is NOT a reaction to the three game sweep. I was not in favor of the hire WHEN IT HAPPENED. The three game sweep doesn't prove me right any more than had we won all three I would have been proved wrong. HOWEVER there were plenty of mistakes that might not have been made with another more experienced head coach. We'll see going forward whether he's right for the job. If we win, I'll be here, and you'll be claiming I'm a fairweather fan, and you'll be full of crap then too.

COOL STORY BRO, and use of capitals. We heard you the 19765th time. If we would have swept the series, I GUARANTEE you would not be in a game discussion thread saying how you thought it was a bad hire.

Frankly, if this hire has you THIS butthurt, then why not go barking down the doors of the AD office? Whining on a message board isn't going to change a whole lot, sport.

Well, I wouldn't know. Im a Creighton fan in both. I follow Nebraska and want them to do well, but if they don't, oh well.

I'm gonna skip right past the part where I don't even understand why you're jumping into the discussion when you don't care all that much anyway and just ask. If Creighton's basketball team had been AWFUL for 10+ straight seasons and their baseball team had gone from one of the best in the country, to one of the worst in the conference....would you be happy about it?

COOL STORY BRO, and use of capitals. We heard you the 19765th time. If we would have swept the series, I GUARANTEE you would not be in a game discussion thread saying how you thought it was a bad hire.

Frankly, if this hire has you THIS butthurt, then why not go barking down the doors of the AD office? Whining on a message board isn't going to change a whole lot, sport.

"We heard you the 19765th time" If any of the people who I responded to had acted like they heard me instead of saying "you're only grumpy because we got swept and you don't understand the baseball season" then I wouldn't have had to say it 19,765 times.

"Whining on a message board isn't going to change a whole lot, sport."

I guess I didn't get the memo that message boards are ONLY for being positive. Duly noted. Chief.

"I GUARANTEE you would not be in a game discussion thread saying how you thought it was a bad hire."

Sure I would. I'm fairly certain I said it in the thread of the first game when we were ahead. It would be more along the lines of "But I hope this keeps hope" than, "but I hope I'm wrong." but if we win the next 50 games, I'll still say I thought at the time that this was a bad hire. If we win the next 50 games I'll also say it appears I was wrong but.....