Huskers Vs Zags Game 3

This the problem with hiring a man who had never been a paid coach ANYWHERE. I EXPECTED us to get swept, but not in this manner. This was poor fundamentals, and poor managing on display big time. He's gonna have to learn how to run a team quickly and it absolutely infuriates me that he's learning on the job for US. There's simply no reason Erstad shouldn't be an ASSISTANT under a QUALIFIED Husker head coach. NONE.

:facepalm:

That is EXACTLY the reaction I had when I heard who Osborne had hired

Can I ask if you've ever coached baseball before??

This the problem with hiring a man who had never been a paid coach ANYWHERE. I EXPECTED us to get swept, but not in this manner. This was poor fundamentals, and poor managing on display big time. He's gonna have to learn how to run a team quickly and it absolutely infuriates me that he's learning on the job for US. There's simply no reason Erstad shouldn't be an ASSISTANT under a QUALIFIED Husker head coach. NONE.

Then dont follow the team. Problem=Solved. How about you let the season play out some before you go about with your gaping butthole and all the crap that spills out of it.

LMAO! i think we just need to chill GUMBO and watch a few games before we start calling our shots. I don't think you can judge a team based on 1 series, if we did that they we could go back to last years UCLA series and tell everyone that we should have won the national title... (as long as it was played in under 40 degree temps)

Prob not. I have and I can tell you, if your knowledgeable in the game like Erstad is, you can become very successful when you find the strategy you like and works. Baseball is a game of strategy and fundamentals. Well, here comes your argument, their fundamentals were terrible! Do you know how long it takes a baseball player to become fundamentally sound if they've been doing things the wrong way (under Anderson)? A hell of a lot longer than the month Erstad has had to correct these issues. Could take a whole year to correct these issues. Don't even get me started on pitching mechanics and trying to correct those issues. I haven't seen this closer or why he has been struggling. Confidence maybe? Sure hope its not mechanics cause Silva will have his work cut out for him trying to break him of bad habits hes been having for years.

Takes a lot longer to fix a baseball team that stinks than other sports in my opinion. Give Erstad more than a month of practice before you claim he was a terrible hire.

Prob not. I have and I can tell you, if your knowledgeable in the game like Erstad is, you can become very successful when you find the strategy you like and works. Baseball is a game of strategy and fundamentals. Well, here comes your argument, their fundamentals were terrible! Do you know how long it takes a baseball player to become fundamentally sound if they've been doing things the wrong way (under Anderson)? A hell of a lot longer than the month Erstad has had to correct these issues. Could take a whole year to correct these issues. Don't even get me started on pitching mechanics and trying to correct those issues. I haven't seen this closer or why he has been struggling. Confidence maybe? Sure hope its not mechanics cause Silva will have his work cut out for him trying to break him of bad habits hes been having for years.

Takes a lot longer to fix a baseball team that stinks than other sports in my opinion. Give Erstad more than a month of practice before you claim he was a terrible hire.

Couldn't agree more

I've had the exact same amount of experience as being a paid coach that Darin Erstad has.

I've had the exact same amount of experience as being a paid coach that Darin Erstad has. Let me be clear. I thought this was a bad idea the day it was announced. Us being swept changed my opinion not one iota. This isn't about me bailing on Erstad because we lost. I disliked the hire before he ever put the uniform on.

This is not Kent State. There was no reason to give a guy who has had one year as an unpaid assistant on his resume the head job.

You guys wanna get mad at me and offer up a bunch of insults because of it? Have at it, I couldn't care less.

Yes and it's infinitely harder to fix a broken program when you don't have the slightest clue how to do so. The state this program is in is just one of the reasons that Erstad should absolutely not have been the hire.

I've had the exact same amount of experience as being a paid coach that Darin Erstad has. Let me be clear. I thought this was a bad idea the day it was announced. Us being swept changed my opinion not one iota. This isn't about me bailing on Erstad because we lost. I disliked the hire before he ever put the uniform on.

This is not Kent State. There was no reason to give a guy who has had one year as an unpaid assistant on his resume the head job.

You guys wanna get mad at me and offer up a bunch of insults because of it? Have at it, I couldn't care less.

Gumber

You should check out what the reigning world champs did after Tony retired........They went out and signed a former Major League baseball player in Mike Matheny who had no managerial experience

If the St. Louis Cardinals can do that.........I'm sure Nebraska can do it as well

Gumber

You should check out what the reigning world champs did after Tony retired........They went out and signed a former Major League baseball player in Mike Matheny who had no managerial experience

If the St. Louis Cardinals can do that.........I'm sure Nebraska can do it as well

Excellent argument, now let's examine where it's not remotely relevant.

First there's the obvious, that being that college coaches are actually tasked with taking 17, 18 year old kids and molding them into players. Major League managers make in game decisions but have very little to do with molding grown men into players. There's also the complete lack of actual recruiting and player assessment doesn't play nearly as large a role since the GM puts together the roster.

While Matheny had no managerial experience he had spent the last several years as an instructor in the Cardinals organization. In other words, he still has more coaching experience than Darin Erstad.

And finally, the Cardinals didn't just finish last in the NL Central for the third straight year and weren't arguably at the franchise's lowest point in two decades. They didn't need someone to come in and turn things around. The Cardinals just needed someone they could hand the torch to.

The Huskers didn't just win the College World Series, they needed someone who could come in and turn around the program and our AD picked someone who has no idea what that takes.

And finally, you're comparing the Erstad hiring to a hiring that could be one of the worst decisions the Cardinals have made in 40 years. I mean it could end up being EPICALLY stupid. The Cubs handed their manager job to a dude who had never been a major league manager last year. Turned out he was in way...way...WAY over his head.

So in other words....holy god was that a bad example.

The Cubs handed their manager job to a dude who had never been a major league manager last year. Turned out he was in way...way...WAY over his head.

Yes I get your dislike of the DE hiring. I was a little skeptical when he was hired, but at the same time semi excited knowing that NU was getting a guy who knows the culture and what kind of kids are needed to make this program click. I also generally as a rule give a guy more than three games or a press conference to decide if it was a bad move or not. Personal opinion there. But that is not what I am shooting for here.

I just want to know who you are talking about in the above quote. And any manager would almost be in over his head with the mismanagement of that roster and moronic contracts that Hendry buried the team with.