Corey Raymond a candidate at LSU?

Nexus

So in your companies you pay your VPs more than yourself?

I don't have anyone at that level - we're too small. But I have been in the position of making more than the owners/executives of prior companies I've worked for numerous times. It's not unheard of. They reminded me of it every once in a while. :)

I think the only people that should do that in a company is your 100% commision sales guys since they are finding the consumer for you. And to be honest you may have had a bigger salary than them but you and I both know they were still making more. I have 3 people in my company that make at or a greater salaray than I do. But I'm the one taking the company profit and ending up with a muliti-million dollar investment that I can sell when the time is right.

Maybe, we're likely in different different industries and at this point in time (in my case) a highly skilled senior developer might be more valuable to the company and the product that what I am. I don't have a problem admitting that. Ultimately the company is mine, so I benefit down the road, but in that same way the HC would have the job security that the OC/DC didn't. 80th ranked defense? DC and his staff out the door.

We are closer to a Cuban dictatorship than an American democracy. (not that either function very well)

that structure would turn things upside down......not many avps get paid more than the ceo.

Not many EVPS provide the same value to the CEO as the OC/DC would to this HC. I'm telling you...it's a unique position. But we'd only have trouble finding 1. There would be a line out the door for the OC/DC positions and the rest of the staff - which is far more difficult to find. I'd take 8 of the best coaches in the country over 1 highly paid HC that has a mediocre staff because the wealth isn't there to assemble the traditional staff and his ego is too large to see someone of greater skill w/ greater pay in a position "below" him. And if that HC doesn't work out...you can replace him without replacing the OC/DC. lets not even call him the HC - he's the the VP of Football Operations.

that structure would turn things upside down......not many avps get paid more than the ceo.

Not many EVPS provide the same value to the CEO as the OC/DC would to this HC. I'm telling you...it's a unique position. But we'd only have trouble finding 1. There would be a line out the door for the OC/DC positions and the rest of the staff - which is far more difficult to find. I'd take 8 of the best coaches in the country over 1 highly paid HC that has a mediocre staff because the wealth isn't there to assemble the traditional staff and his ego is too large to see someone of greater skill w/ greater pay in a position "below" him. And if that HC doesn't work out...you can replace him without replacing the OC/DC. lets not even call him the HC - he's the the VP of Football Operations.

who makes the call on 4th and 1? the HC or the OC?

OC every time. It's his offense - he knows best his ability to make it or not, and I'd like to think he's smart enough "football-wise" that he isn't going to put his DC in a bad position. These are guys who will likely be HC's within a few years. They aren't 3-4 years from being an intern.

You know that's not the case.

OC every time. It's his offense - he knows best his ability to make it or not, and I'd like to think he's smart enough "football-wise" that he isn't going to put his DC in a bad position. These are guys who will likely be HC's within a few years. They aren't 3-4 years from being an intern.

Not currently, it would be in my system. (hunter is playing devil's advocate to my org structure)

Some of you guys are hilarious. Nebraska, along with every other major BCS school, is a stepping stone. A graduate assistant at Nebraska, or any other school for that matter, uses that position to become a position coach at another school. Once he's a position coach it's a stepping stone to becoming a coordinator. Once he's a coordinator it's a stepping stone to becoming a head coach. And a head coach at a MAC or Sunbelt school can use success there to be a stepping stone to a BCS school. Now admittedly the line isn't always that straight, for example a graduate assistant at Nebraska may take a position coach at a school like Toledo and then take another position coach at a BCS school. But this whole whining about how Nebraska has become a mere "stepping stone" job is ludicrous and demonstrates a severe lack of understanding at how the coaching profession really works.

• Fire 1

Not currently, it would be in my system. (hunter is playing devil's advocate to my org structure)

no, not really, but you have effectively taken the head coach out of making game time decisions.......so he is not longer the head coach during the game, but only in an administrative role......this would be chaotic and unacceptable to any real "head coach"

Some of you guys are hilarious. Nebraska, along with every other major BCS school, is a stepping stone. A graduate assistant at Nebraska, or any other school for that matter, uses that position to become a position coach at another school. Once he's a position coach it's a stepping stone to becoming a coordinator. Once he's a coordinator it's a stepping stone to becoming a head coach. And a head coach at a MAC or Sunbelt school can use success there to be a stepping stone to a BCS school. Now admittedly the line isn't always that straight, for example a graduate assistant at Nebraska may take a position coach at a school like Toledo and then take another position coach at a BCS school. But this whole whining about how Nebraska has become a mere "stepping stone" job is ludicrous and demonstrates a severe lack of understanding at how the coaching profession really works.

Aw, you said it before I could :) But yeah, the more success you have, the more interest other schools have in your assistants. Just the nature of the beast.

I think your wish is unlikely to come true. Top-notch coaches are going to be in demand. If we have coaches that other teams don't want, that's a problem.

The idea of coaches just staying here forever, or for most of their career, is probably over, too. Most teams don't keep their coaches around this long. The business of coaching has dramatically changed since we had long-term assistants under Osborne. It's doubtful we'll have anything remotely like that ever again.

Heck - honest opinion, I doubt Bo is here in ten years.

Which is why we need to implement kchusker_chris organizational structure designed for the Huskers. Time to do something different. This is a fact of life yet we still run the program like they are going to be here forever...in the end we're just a training ground for coaching talent. We're the Kansas City Royals of coaching.

Haha I like that.

However, in Raymond's case, I would hesitate to call it that. I can't say I was sold on his one year of coaching. His only noticeable achievement, IMO, was Andrew Green, and he was still hit and miss. I think it's more of a recruiting loss than anything else, and you need someone that can coach and recruit. Raymond showed his inexperience (and possibly immaturity) by throwing players under the bus rather than admit he may have been at fault.

The more I hear Minter and Zook's name, the more I like it. I doubt that 1) Zook would come cheap, and the only thing NU has demonstrated lately when it comes to forking out big money is for asinine contract extensions, and 2) I doubt he'd come in as a positions coach. Being fired from a head coaching position and taking a coordinator position is one thing. But stepping down all the way to a position coach? He'd have to like NU a whole lot to do something like that, and I don't think he's got any ties here.

Legacy quote of the year by Raymond..............

“I like working with Bo,” Raymond said. “It's like being at the Harvard of football.”

If NU is the 'Harvard of football, what does that make LSU? The 'University of Colorado' except with good football?

Good point..............

Even though I understand the pull of your home school..................it would be less frustrating if he hadn't made all these recent proclamations about his son, etc..............

Sometimes Harvard doesn't keep its students around. Every coach thats left Bo's program has done so with the urging of Bo either to improve themselves or because it wasn't the right fit. From conversations/rumors this morning it sounds like there is a reason Raymond may have had a change of heart.

No clue who the targets are for a replacement. It might be someone here. I know Bo almost hired Watson when Marvin left. I know the media and fans would love Minter who's done well with lower level schools and its now with Gill.

How come every time a coach leaves NU suddenly there are rumors about indiscretions or bad morals? Yet all we ever hear are rumblings. Any chance you can expond on these rumors a bit? If not why bring it up at all?