Corey Raymond a candidate at LSU?

Nexus

What are the odds we keep the two 4 star defensive backs we already had committed for next year? Here are the choices ........a. slim b. none.

McWilson was recruited by Papuchis, so there's not a great correlation between Raymond leaving and him decommitting. Dixon may leave, but we got Aaron Curry when Kaz came over. So it goes.

And there's a lot of time left. Better he left now and took Dixon than at the end of the season.

Good point. If Dixon's going to go to LSU, better that happens soon.

Would those of you are asking them not to hire from within please explain your viewpoint?

I'm so sick of the revolving door that coaching at Nebraska has become.

I want to hire Nebraska guys who want to stay at Nebraska.

I think your wish is unlikely to come true. Top-notch coaches are going to be in demand. If we have coaches that other teams don't want, that's a problem.

The idea of coaches just staying here forever, or for most of their career, is probably over, too. Most teams don't keep their

coaches around this long. The business of coaching has dramatically changed since we had long-term assistants under Osborne. It's doubtful we'll have anything remotely like that ever again.

Heck - honest opinion, I doubt Bo is here in ten years.

-Well, ten years is a long time, and you can't turn down the editor-in-chief job at CatFancy forever.....

I think your wish is unlikely to come true. Top-notch coaches are going to be in demand. If we have coaches that other teams don't want, that's a problem.

The idea of coaches just staying here forever, or for most of their career, is probably over, too. Most teams don't keep their coaches around this long. The business of coaching has dramatically changed since we had long-term assistants under Osborne. It's doubtful we'll have anything remotely like that ever again.

Which is why we need to implement kchusker_chris organizational structure designed for the Huskers. Time to do something different. This is a fact of life yet we still run the program like they are going to be here forever...in the end we're just a training ground for coaching talent. We're the Kansas City Royals of coaching.

The idea of coaches just staying here forever, or for most of their career, is probably over, too. Most teams don't keep their coaches around this long. The business of coaching has dramatically changed since we had long-term assistants under Osborne. It's doubtful we'll have anything remotely like that ever again.

Which is why we need to implement kchusker_chris organizational structure designed for the Huskers. Time to do something different. This is a fact of life yet we still run the program like they are going to be here forever...in the end we're just a training ground for coaching talent. We're the Kansas City Royals of coaching.

No, we don't run the program like they're going to be here forever. In fact, Bo has more than once stated that he intends to help his assistants continue their careers. I'm not understanding where you're coming from with that statement.

EDIT - Saw a Husker Locker blog where the guy said we should go after Ron Zook, name him co-Defensive Coordinator, and hit the ground running in both coaching and recruiting. Interesting idea.

Sean Callahan thinks we should go after Minter.

@Sean_Callahan - If Bo does not hire from within for his staff opening, Mike Minter is somebody that should get a serious look in my opinion.

This would be a recruiter first, coach second type of hire. Mike Minter could sell a recruit on Nebraska as well as anyone...and he brings instant legitimacy to the staff. If we aren't going experience, this is a good route IMO.

No, we don't run the program like they're going to be here forever. In fact, Bo has more than once stated that he intends to help his assistants continue their careers. I'm not understanding where you're coming from with that statement.

EDIT - Saw a Husker Locker blog where the guy said we should go after Ron Zook, name him co-Defensive Coordinator, and hit the ground running in both coaching and recruiting. Interesting idea.

I just don't like all these young guys that are set up nicely to use us and lose us. If they are gone in 3 years anyway...lets get someone in here with some experience.

Honestly I don't have as much of a problem w/ the inexperienced position coaches...it's just scary when our DC has no experience either. I like Minter or Zook. I really like the Ron Zook idea. Supposedly the money was there before the JP promotion...it should still be there.

I really like the Ron Zook idea. Supposedly the money was there before the JP promotion...it should still be there.

From everything I've read, the Athletic Department has the funds to pay a guy like Zook the kind of money it would take to get him here as an assistant.

It'll be interesting to see where we go. I know zip about Minter's ability to coach or recruit. Like a lot of people, I'm concerned with the lack of proven coaching/recruiting already on the staff, so I'm not overly excited about Minter or Warfield. Not against either, just not excited.

I really like the Ron Zook idea. Supposedly the money was there before the JP promotion...it should still be there.

From everything I've read, the Athletic Department has the funds to pay a guy like Zook the kind of money it would take to get him here as an assistant.

It'll be interesting to see where we go. I know zip about Minter's ability to coach or recruit. Like a lot of people, I'm concerned with the lack of proven coaching/recruiting already on the staff, so I'm not overly excited about Minter or Warfield. Not against either, just not excited.

I don't like Warfield because he'd a felon and selling a recruit's parents on a felon is tough. I like Minter's NFL experience, his drive, and the fact that he's a motivational speaker. I think he'd be good in a recruit's living room. Zook is obviously the best of both worlds.

For the record, this is the kchusker_chris org structure (i posted it a long time ago in response to someone that challenged someone to come up w/ something different):

Head Coach (VP of Football Operations): $750,000

Offensive Coordinator: $1,250,000

Defensive Coordinator: $1,250,000

OL: $375,000

RB: $375,000

WR: $375,000

DL: $375,000

LB: $375,000

DB: $375,000

Recruiting Coordinator/ST: $500,000

Total: $6,000,000/year (similar to where we are today).

It would require a unique HC. One that was a leader, not a manager. His role would be very different than a traditional HC, primarily in formulating the team's identity. The management of the team is left to the OC/DC. The structure would allow the best OC/DC in the game to arrive. The O staff, and the D staff are built by the OC/DC, not of the HC's choosing. The assistant pay would allow for them to build the best possible staff. A position who's almost entire job is recruiting would be created, and pay would allow for one of the best recruiters to come on board and do what they do best. The OC/DC position would attract the best assistants/coordinators in the game that are looking to jump into the traditional HC role. It would provide them with the best experience they could find outside of being an actual HC. You'd expect them to be here around 2-4 years, which fits into the length of most anyway. When they leave, their staff goes as well and a new coordinator is replaced with a new staff, but their departure does not impact the other side of the ball. The idea being that the HC remains static, in a leadership role while the turnover happens below him - providing continuity as far as the overall team is concerned. The pay prevents poaching of assistants/coordinators. If we're going to be a training ground, might as well embrace it.

I don't like Warfield because he'd a felon and selling a recruit's parents on a felon is tough. I like Minter's NFL experience, his drive, and the fact that he's a motivational speaker. I think he'd be good in a recruit's living room. Zook is obviously the best of both worlds.

For the record, this is the kchusker_chris org structure (i posted it a long time ago in response to someone that challenged someone to come up w/ something different):

Head Coach: $750,000

It would require a unique HC. One that was a leader, not a manager. His role would be very different than a traditional HC, primarily in formulating the team's identity. The management of the team is left to the OC/DC. The structure would allow the best OC/DC in the game to arrive. The O staff, and the D staff are built by the OC/DC, not of the HC's choosing. The assistant pay would allow for them to build the best possible staff. A position who's almost entire job is recruiting would be created, and pay would allow for one of the best recruiters to come on board and do what they do best. The OC/DC position would attract the best assistants/coordinators in the game that are looking to jump into the traditional HC role. It would provide them with the best experience they could find outside of being an actual HC. You'd expect them to be here around 2-4 years, which fits into the length of most anyway. When they leave, their staff goes as well and a new coordinator is replaced with a new staff, but their departure does not impact the other side of the ball. The idea being that the HC remains static, in a leadership role while the turnover happens below him - providing continuity as far as the overall team is concerned. The pay prevents poaching of assistants/coordinators. If we're going to be a training ground, might as well embrace it.

So in your companies you pay your VPs more than yourself?

I don't have anyone at that level - we're too small. But I have been in the position of making more than the owners/executives of prior companies I've worked for numerous times. It's not unheard of. They reminded me of it every once in a while. :)

Remember, this wouldn't be a traditional HC. It would require a unique individual - likely that "Nebraska guy" who puts the Huskers over self. I'm confident those are out there. Their pay would be lower, but the responsibilities of the position would be as well. Likewise the responsibilities of the OC/DC would increase.

I don't have anyone at that level - we're too small. But I have been in the position of making more than the owners/executives of prior companies I've worked for numerous times. It's not unheard of. They reminded me of it every once in a while. :)

I think the only people that should do that in a company is your 100% commision sales guys since they are finding the consumer for you. And to be honest you may have had a bigger salary than them but you and I both know they were still making more. I have 3 people in my company that make at or a greater salaray than I do. But I'm the one taking the company profit and ending up with a muliti-million dollar investment that I can sell when the time is right.

Head Coach: $750,000

that structure would turn things upside down......not many avps get paid more than the ceo.