2012 Forecast

'SkersRule

woulda, coulda, shouda.........damn, sounds like homer speak to me........based on all the reasons we lost, properly avoiding 100% of them would have given us a couple more wins.........well, sure, i could see that, but you could say that for every team that lost a game by 14 points or less........what makes us any different?

just sayin........this team needs to learn how to make plays not mistakes.

Speaking for myself, its not so much would've, could've, should've, I was just attempting to point out that our squad isn't as disadvantaged compared to other teams(in the B1G) as some make us seem, not enough to chalk up losses for games over 7 months away. I da*n sure aren't making excuses for us, because we lost and lost ugly at times. Just objectively looking back at our L's, I just have a difficult time putting teams head and shoulders above us. What I feel and think is only speculation until September, but its up to everyone on the team to change that.

8-5... Wait until next year... Again!!!

No problem --- I am a Cub fan of 50 years and that is our mantra year after year --- "Wait till next year."

The real advantage of being a Cub fan is that any sucess that your team has is really, really appreciated!

Being a Cub fan makes being a Husker fan a complete joy... it does not take much to be happy.

Wisconsin lost almost their entire coaching staff, and Russel Wilson. The QB's behind him are average at best. Without Wilson, wisconsin was an 8-4 at best team last year.

If Wisky goes 10+ wins, I would be shocked.

Monte. Ball. (and I think Wisconsin is just going to always be that team that has our number - like K-State & Texas)

I really do hope Wisconsin is our next K-State. 78-15 all-time. Won the last 6.

• Fire 2

If you look at the recruiting numbers in the pass few years which is talent vs talent

UCLA could be a loss

Michigan could be a loss

Ohio St could be a loss

Michigan ST and Badgers are even

That's a possible 7-5 to start I think we win 2 possible 3 of the five games and end 9-3 or 10-2

And I want to clarify one particular point: I think when we're talking about elite NFL 1st round draft pick type of talent then yes we are absolutely on a lower level than Alabama. I watched most of the NFL combine thus far and it is perfectly clear that Nebraska really doesn't have any elite players and that is historically the case. Now in recent years with Suh and Prince we've had one elite player each season, and maybe Alphonso Dennard will make it one "elite" 1st rounder for the 3rd year in a row. There seems to be some mixed reviews of his performance from the Senior Bowl. But back to the present, Nebraska has enough talent to compete and beat nearly everyone they play. Where I sincerely doubt the Huskers is in their mental game. Too often last season they literally sabtogaged themselves with stupid unforced errors. It's that kind of stuff that makes me doubt the Huskers and thus far I haven't seen anything that makes me think they're getting better. In my opinion Nebraska might even have an over-inflated sense of themselves because they seem to think that with minimal work or effort they can just show up and win.

Wisconsin lost almost their entire coaching staff, and Russel Wilson. The QB's behind him are average at best. Without Wilson, wisconsin was an 8-4 at best team last year.

If Wisky goes 10+ wins, I would be shocked.

Monte. Ball. (and I think Wisconsin is just going to always be that team that has our number - like K-State & Texas)

K-State has our number?

• Fire 1

And I want to clarify one particular point: I think when we're talking about elite NFL 1st round draft pick type of talent then yes we are absolutely on a lower level than Alabama. I watched most of the NFL combine thus far and it is perfectly clear that Nebraska really doesn't have any elite players and that is historically the case. Now in recent years with Suh and Prince we've had one elite player each season, and maybe Alphonso Dennard will make it one "elite" 1st rounder for the 3rd year in a row. There seems to be some mixed reviews of his performance from the Senior Bowl. But back to the present, Nebraska has enough talent to compete and beat nearly everyone they play. Where I sincerely doubt the Huskers is in their mental game. Too often last season they literally sabtogaged themselves with stupid unforced errors. It's that kind of stuff that makes me doubt the Huskers and thus far I haven't seen anything that makes me think they're getting better. In my opinion Nebraska might even have an over-inflated sense of themselves because they seem to think that with minimal work or effort they can just show up and win.

I'd generally agree.... and it is a coaching problem... one of many, many coaching problems.... the inabilty to motivate players, to get them to play hard, to get them to play sound mentally, and to get them to play sound assignment football... these with roster magangement problems, and many other coaching issues keep NU well below where they otherwise could be. But even still --- while they are in my level 4 (largely because of coaching problems) they would be no higher than the top of level 3 if they had good coaching --- because NU does not have elite top 10 talent. So... coaching has NU an under-achiever and is the largest inhibitor of future success... but even still, our talent is also a bit lean relative to the elite (or even relative to the almost elite).

I have seen where MSU will be favored to win the B1G next year. That game at MSU and at the Horseshoe will be tough to get wins for Nebraska. Vs Michigan is a question mark for me. I say 9-3 with losses to MSU, OSU and either Mich or they lay an egg vs a team they should beat.

I still think OSU will win the conference next year. I dont care how new the system will be and what not, they have athletic specimens all over the field. They showed signs of greatness last year at times, would not surprise me one bit to see Braxton Millers name in the stiff arm running next season, that kid is the real deal. I think we will do one win better than last years regular season, but I dont give us much of a chance in Columbus.

Coaching vs talent is the ultimate chicken or egg question. Great coaching can make decent talent look all-world and poor coaching can make even elite talent look terrible. To the point about Nebraska, are there coaching issues? I don't know. From a technical standpoint I think Nebraska has some pretty good, maybe borderline great coaches. But as Vince Lombardi said, and I'm paraphrasing here, "Coaches who can diagram plays on a black board are a dime a dozen, but coaches who can get inside their players head and motivate them to excel is a rarity." That's where I see Nebraska's biggest glaring deficiency is that they lack the motivation or desire to be the best. They seem to think they can just show up and win, i.e. the Northwestern game. When a team has that type of attitude they will generally quit at the first sign of adversity. Which is what we saw too many times last season.