Braylon Heard moving to DB for the Spring, possibly permanent

It's a numbers issue. When you have three extremely talented players at the same position in the same class, that creates the problem. This is one way to address it, especially when Braylon was a talented CB prospect as well coming out of HS - maybe even better than RB.

I just wish Braylon or SOMEBODY had taken a redshirt last year though. That lessens the numbers issue and let's face it, it was a wasted year, for Braylon at least.

And that was something that everybody knew was going to happen to one of the three at least.

It actually works for quite a few people. Athletes that have some versatality and can do multiple things are great to have. Braylon is seemingly one of them. I think this is a good move --- as far as I can tell --- if Braylon is up for it and excited and thinks that this is the fastest way to see the field... then great.

I don't necessarily disagree but it just gets to the point where I'd like to see Bo actually recruit quality CBs instead of constantly trying to find S, WR and RBs who might be able to play CB, which is what he does presently.

I see what you're saying. Only problem is in HS football, an elite player is usually going to play both ways. Just because rivals says they are an 'athlete' or a 'wr' or a 'dual threat qb' in HS doesn't mean that's where they project at this level. As long as Bo isn't bringing in JUCO wide receivers with limited eligibility left, running them through a year or so at WR - then make a desperate hail-mary switch mid season only to watch them ride the pine the rest of the season (and likely their career) I don't have a problem w/ it. (oh wait...) :P

I don't understand this line of thinking. SJB was likely to ride the pine at WR anyways, how is trying to get the guy on the field a problem in any way?

Do you realize how long it takes to update my NCAA 2012 rosters on my PS3?

Duly noted.

It actually works for quite a few people. Athletes that have some versatality and can do multiple things are great to have. Braylon is seemingly one of them. I think this is a good move --- as far as I can tell --- if Braylon is up for it and excited and thinks that this is the fastest way to see the field... then great.

I don't necessarily disagree but it just gets to the point where I'd like to see Bo actually recruit quality CBs instead of constantly trying to find S, WR and RBs who might be able to play CB, which is what he does presently.

I see what you're saying. Only problem is in HS football, an elite player is usually going to play both ways. Just because rivals says they are an 'athlete' or a 'wr' or a 'dual threat qb' in HS doesn't mean that's where they project at this level. As long as Bo isn't bringing in JUCO wide receivers with limited eligibility left, running them through a year or so at WR - then make a desperate hail-mary switch mid season only to watch them ride the pine the rest of the season (and likely their career) I don't have a problem w/ it. (oh wait...) :P

I don't understand this line of thinking. SJB was likely to ride the pine at WR anyways, how is trying to get the guy on the field a problem in any way?

how many games at DB did he play? 2 or 3 before he was back on the bench?.........just sayin

how many games at DB did he play? 2 or 3 before he was back on the bench?.........just sayin

And? He hurt his knee, and Andrew Green cemented himself as the starter. It happens. The position switch still wasn't the cause for his lack of playing time.

SJB was swimming in the offense. Was having trouble with it to the point he wasn't going to see any action last fall. The move to DB got him on the field. Exactly what he wanted, to be on the field contributing. IMO it was a great move. With his size and athleticism, and a solid spring summer, he SHOULD be NU's nickelback. No more Evans getting abused in the slot.

I think it is important to point out a few facts that several are overlooking in this thread. First Braylon was doing well early on at RB, but he had health issues keep him out for a significant portion of the year. He wasn't playing because he wasn't as good or better than the other 2 frosh, but simply because he wasn't fit to play. By the time he was healthy again, he missed out on key development time that the other 2 got and hence his PT wasn't as much as those 2.

Second, as noted above, SJB hurt his knee right after the OSU game and missed time because of it. AG also started surging and solidified his spot across from AD. SJB still needs development as a CB, this Spring is huge for him, so losing out to someone who has been focusing solely on CB for the past 3 plus years isn't a knock on SJB's potential.

Finally, Braylon was heavily recruited as a CB in HS. Many schools wanted him on D ala Prince. Let him redshirt this year and get back to focusing on CB and he could be a stud there.

I think it is important to point out a few facts that several are overlooking in this thread. First Braylon was doing well early on at RB, but he had health issues keep him out for a significant portion of the year. He wasn't playing because he wasn't as good or better than the other 2 frosh, but simply because he wasn't fit to play. By the time he was healthy again, he missed out on key development time that the other 2 got and hence his PT wasn't as much as those 2.

Second, as noted above, SJB hurt his knee right after the OSU game and missed time because of it. AG also started surging and solidified his spot across from AD. SJB still needs development as a CB, this Spring is huge for him, so losing out to someone who has been focusing solely on CB for the past 3 plus years isn't a knock on SJB's potential.

Finally, Braylon was heavily recruited as a CB in HS. Many schools wanted him on D ala Prince. Let him redshirt this year and get back to focusing on CB and he could be a stud there.

+1

I probably don't do my homework well enough on the injury status of some of these players, but I plain and simple never heard about an injury to Braylon Heard or SJB last year. I don't remember reading it here or in a newspaper, or online. I remember all last season people questioning where the hell our backup RB's were, including Braylon. Nobody ever mentioned that his lack of carries was due to an injury. The same said for SJB. We all wondered why the hell after that great INT in the OSU game, that he basically never saw real time again. So please if you don't mind, let me know if these injuries were divulged after the season's end, or if you have some sort of other source?

I probably don't do my homework well enough on the injury status of some of these players, but I plain and simple never heard about an injury to Braylon Heard or SJB last year. I don't remember reading it here or in a newspaper or online. I remember all last season people questioning where the hell our backup RB's were, including Braylon. Nobody every mentioned that his lack of carries was due to an injury. The same said for SJB. We all wondered why the hell after that great INT in the OSU game, that he basically never saw real time again. So please if you don't mind, let me know if these injuries were divulged after the season's end, or if you have some sort of other source?

i agree, i sure never saw any headlines regarding injuries to these 2 players, but hell, Bo wouldn't admit it, if his guppie had the damn hiccups!

I probably don't do my homework well enough on the injury status of some of these players, but I plain and simple never heard about an injury to Braylon Heard or SJB last year. I don't remember reading it here or in a newspaper, or online. I remember all last season people questioning where the hell our backup RB's were, including Braylon. Nobody ever mentioned that his lack of carries was due to an injury. The same said for SJB. We all wondered why the hell after that great INT in the OSU game, that he basically never saw real time again. So please if you don't mind, let me know if these injuries were divulged after the season's end, or if you have some sort of other source?

People are quick to question, but can't be bothered taking 5 minutes out of their day to find the answer on the information superhighway.

People are quick to question, but can't be bothered taking 5 minutes out of their day to find the answer on the information superhighway.

oh thank you Mr. Wonderful, where would we be without you?

oh thank you Mr. Wonderful, where would we be without you?

You're welcome.

Braylon Heard links:

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/tag/_/name/braylon-heard

http://nebraskaradionetwork.com/2011/10/07/injury-update-heard-is-better-cotton-done-for-the-year-audio/

SJB link: http://huskercorner.com/2011/10/29/live-from-lincoln/

There are other stories out there to find, but these are the first ones I could find quickly. The extent of SJB's knee injury was never fully disclosed, but he did miss some time. Combine that with AG blossoming, SJB still being a novice at CB, and you can see why AG was the starter across from AD for the last part of the season.

--Edit--

Should've waited a little longer, Fowler beat me to it.